Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Reminds me of the 1960,s when a neighbour who worked for bc tel had 9 phones wired in his house. Even one mounted beside the toilet roll!
If I recall correctly you paid extra for a coloured phone and when push button arrived I think that was an extra too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We have Shaw Satellite for TV and Start.ca for internet (uses Cogeco cable). Cell is Speakout which is on Rogers. All work well. But who knows going forward :(
Shaw can't compete against the Big 3 in wireless. And they don't want to. That is why they are selling. A 4th player cannot compete. There is a strong possibility that Shaw and Rogers combine cable operations and spin out Freedom Mobile. Of course, that will be the end of Freedom Mobile as a major player. They can't afford to expand their network, forget about 5G which will cost far more than 4G by many factors.
Shaw is competing quite well in wireless. They're growing tons every quarter, margins going up, average revenue per user. And when you compared 5g CAPEX costs vs their balance sheet, they can easily build out a 5G network.

Check the lastest earnings release.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Blows my mind people complain about their phone bills with unlimited data and everything else nowadays. yea those networks build themselves for nothing apparently
In the late 1960's as a teenager I had my own phone line (BC Tel) and paid 6.25 a month for it. (I had a paper route and made $30.00 per month- lol) . I recently plugged the $6.25 into Canada's inflation calc and it works out to $44.00. Of course long distance charges then were expensive, not like now unlimited Canada wide for most cell phones now. I use magic jack at home. Unlimited Canada /USA ... about $40.00 per year. I do think we're getting squeezed on Internet though. Think I'm paying $95 a month for that with Shaw.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I use magic jack at home. Unlimited Canada /USA ... about $40.00 per year. I do think we're getting squeezed on Internet though. Think I'm paying $95 a month for that with Shaw.
We have Ooma at home. Just the basic service. Free, except it actually costs about $5/month because of service charges. Canada wide calling. I had fre NA wide calling with Google Voice, but seems they have cut me off because I no longer have a US phone number that is required for registration. I do have Google Hangups, but not sure yet if that allows NA wide calls. So far, we just use Skype for US LD calls.

For internet, we have minimum service from Start.ca for $45/month. Just 15/2MBs, but we don't notice any restrictions. Would only be another $5 to move up to next tier (30/5), but even Start say that we wouldn't see much difference

My initial $35 on Speakout is getting low after 10 months. My wife has only used about 1/2 of hers! No data, just voice and text emergency phones. We are not cell phone people! If we go to USA for winter, we get a gophone there for 3 months and Speakout doesn't get used.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
I asked earlier but perhaps I'm the only person thinking of shorting SJR.B. I'm still thinking of going short.

If all the great buyout news is already priced in, isn't there more potential downside than upside? What if the deal gets denied (since it's clearly anti competitive) or if market conditions turn sour before closing date?

Rogers shouldn't be allowed to buy Shaw. It's bad for the country, bad for consumers.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I asked earlier but perhaps I'm the only person thinking of shorting SJR.B. I'm still thinking of going short.

If all the great buyout news is already priced in, isn't there more potential downside than upside? What if the deal gets denied (since it's clearly anti competitive) or if market conditions turn sour before closing date?

Rogers shouldn't be allowed to buy Shaw. It's bad for the country, bad for consumers.
The thing is...

The deal will likely go through. These companies don't just throw these deals out there without doing their homework and greasing some palms.

So shorting Shaw is a bad idea. You'll likely just end up holding short stock and paying interest and dividends while the price stays stagnant and flat. If shorting through options, theta will just destroy your position.

Personally?
I'm loading up more RCI.B
I totally think this deal will pass.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a block of telecoms that includes Shaw, Rogers, BCE and Telus. If/when the deal goes through, I will be overweight in Rogers. I am contemplating just selling my SJR now and rebalancing into Rogers, BCE and Telus going forward.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It's pretty clear with recent wireless changes that this deal is likely to go through in one form or another, certainly the cable side. The wireless side may actually largely go too, given other regional players will be able to launch nationally eventually in one form or another. The spread has started to narrow.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's pretty clear with recent wireless changes that this deal is likely to go through in one form or another, certainly the cable side. The wireless side may actually largely go too, given other regional players will be able to launch nationally eventually in one form or another. The spread has started to narrow.
G&M article today summarizing Quebecor/Videotron's interest (and financial capability) to expand nationally or even buying Freedom per their Q1 earnings call today. Addresses the 4th national carrier/wireless competition issue and provides another path for the Rogers-Shaw deal to go through.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Good to see government doing its job and at least questioning whether this merger is legal.

We have laws in this country to prevent the expansion of monopolies. As I said before "Rogers shouldn't be allowed to buy Shaw. It's bad for the country, bad for consumers."

Hope to see this deal killed. As a country we have to protect ourselves from growth of monopolies.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Good to see government doing its job and at least questioning whether this merger is legal.

We have laws in this country to prevent the expansion of monopolies. As I said before "Rogers shouldn't be allowed to buy Shaw. It's bad for the country, bad for consumers."

Hope to see this deal killed. As a country we have to protect ourselves from growth of monopolies.
Monopolies/Oligopolies are tough enough for consumers. It's why we have such high cell, data and bank fees. However, they are great for shareholders. I expected share price to fall further as a result. Rogers down 4% and Shaw down 7% is a lot on a green day but not when most everything else was down 3% or more.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The situation SJR seems to be in is that it is steadily losing cable customers and although its wireless business is still growing its subscriber base, they don't seem to have the appetite to invest the capital needed to upgrade its wireless infrastructure to 5G. I'm not sure how much competition SJR can provide in the long term. On the cable side, they're just going to cut operational costs and raise prices in order to maintain their profit margin. On the wireless side, unless they have a change of heart to spend the capital (with corresponding impact to their balance sheet and/or free cash flow) needed to upgrade to 5G, they're going to have a 2nd tier network compared to Robellus' main brands and end up competing with their flanker brands.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
SJR seems to be in is that it is steadily losing cable customers
They are a major provider of broadband internet to the home (via their cable infrastructure) and I think that business is doing fine. They provide all the same internet/TV bundles as Rogers at about the same margins in their geography.

Personally I think the importance of 5G is way overblown. Rogers claims to have discontinued 2G service in my area, yet my 2G GSM devices continue to work fine. Heck, they've just barely rolled out LTE and had only a few quarters to make back their investment. I see press releases about upgrading communities to LTE as late as 2020.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts