Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase roadside assistance. Other than CAA and others that people recommend?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check if your credit card comes with it. For example my TD Visa Infinite comes with roadside assistance. My car insurance also comes with roadside assistance (Intact). I've used both of those with my old beater car before it gave up the ghost. The way these services work is you call the 1-800 number and they will contact a local car towing company for you. Worked very well when I needed it.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Canadian Tire Gold. Had it for years and am very satisfied. I had a so called free service with a premium credit card from TD bank and it sucked so I went back to CTC. Good service and low cost of membership. I think the Gold offers 5 tows up to 250km each and being towed to the nearest Canadian Tire garage does not count. Free service calls to jump start your car, bring gas if you run out etc.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
We self insure now. Stop buying 15 years or so ago. Used them twice in 30 years. So I guess we are self insuring. So far, probably $1200. plus in expense avoidance.. Had gratis coverage with Home Trust card for a few years but never used it. In prior years I wrote auto club off against business auto expense.

Our cars are older, a 2006 and a 2007. We keep them maintained. We bought it when our children were small and I was often out of town on business. What bothered me about the coverages is they started to decline-especially to tow km's and the upsells to different levels.

Where we live, in Alberta, AMA has consistently been the highest priced quotes for both auto and home insurance. Each by a significant margin so there was no cheese to be had there for us.

I have always kept a good set of longer length jumper cables in each car we have owned. Fortunately, all but once, they have been used to boost other people's vehicles.

Looked at the CT card. The very last place we want to be towed for repair is to a CT auto centre.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Looked at the CT card. The very last place we want to be towed for repair is to a CT auto centre.
You can ask them to take your car to your favorite mechanic. If they take it to CT, they don't count it towards your 5 tow/per year.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can ask them to take your car to your favorite mechanic. If they take it to CT, they don't count it towards your 5 tow/per year.
Agree totally with both of you. I hate CT automotive too. Ripped me off in the 80's and have not used them since.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Free gold membership through my CTire Mastercard. Works well for me. Also have some coverage through my home insurance policy, TD business credit card, and a free CAA membership through work.

If I had to pay I would self insure. I have my own booster pack, can pick a lock fairly easily, quickly change out my own tire, battery tester, phone a friend, etc. You'll likely pay more into the membership then you'll save. That will however depend on your luck, skill level, km driven per year, travel distances, etc.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I'm self insured.
New cars come with a few years, and really it isn't that much.

I've called 3x in 30+ years. Once with family CAA, once under new car, once I paid.

Also after you call 2 or 3 times, they cut you off and won't respond for free.
I know a few people who pay for years (decades even) then when they call for help they get cut off.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have always done CAA. Sadly, I think I have made my money back over a few calls. I found with our previous nanny driving, and soon to be teen, I wanted them to have that added security of being able to call for help. I would say I have called 9 or 10 times in the last 15 years or so.

The only think I don't like about CAA is because they are probably most popular, is that when they are busy they are REALLY busy. We had a spell of -40 where my car had a flat, I waited 7 hours on the phone, the online system went down, and ended up the next day getting the tire changed. Other times, when I have had my kids in the car they did make me a priority due to babies.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm self insured.
New cars come with a few years, and really it isn't that much.

I've called 3x in 30+ years. Once with family CAA, once under new car, once I paid.

Also after you call 2 or 3 times, they cut you off and won't respond for free.
I know a few people who pay for years (decades even) then when they call for help they get cut off.

I have never been cut off from CAA. There was one year we had at least 4 calls the one year, every freaking car had froze or had something happen in a 2 week period and then another call later on in the year. One needed a major tow, and I was on the cheaper plan, I was able to upgrade over the phone, wait 24 hours, and then call and the get the tow.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Why buy AMA(Alberta) or CAA. If you don't have a membership and you call them when you have an issue, they will sell you a membership on the phone and send a truck right away. So if you only have a call every few years, it is not worth it to renew when it comes up - just wait until you have an issue.
If you are a two vehicle family and you are not far from home, you can usually call the other driver to come for a boost/gas or cab it home to get the other vehicle to boost yours or get gas. Usually faster than AMA anyway. If it something nasty like a flat or hwy breakdown in s*****y weather then call and join AMA.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Why buy AMA(Alberta) or CAA. If you don't have a membership and you call them when you have an issue, they will sell you a membership on the phone and send a truck right away. So if you only have a call every few years, it is not worth it to renew when it comes up - just wait until you have an issue.
If you are a two vehicle family and you are not far from home, you can usually call the other driver to come for a boost/gas or cab it home to get the other vehicle to boost yours or get gas. Usually faster than AMA anyway. If it something nasty like a flat or hwy breakdown in s*****y weather then call and join AMA.
I think they closed this loop hole a few years ago. i think membership now goes in effect 24 hours after you buy the membership.

·
Registered
Retirement projections and decumulation strategies
11 Posts
+1 for the Canadian Tire credit card. I have the World Elite (no annual fee) and comes with roadside assistance, 4% cashback at Canadian Tire stores (and associated companies), discount off gas, and the ability to pay expenses that usually do not accept credit card (ie. property tax, utilities, insurance etc) and still get 1% cash back. Could be one of the most underrated credit cards in Canada right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts