Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, an advisor at CIBC prepared a very nice retirement plan for me. It shows the details of how things are gong to be for me from 60 to 90 years old and where money will come from. He made it after I sent him a bunch of info about cpp, my pension at work, my yearly savings, my goals, inflation, etc.

The plan was built assuming I will keep the same job for the next 20 years. I feel bad asking him to redo the whole thing 10 times to compare different scenarios. I'm guessing they use some kind of calculator to make these plans so I was hopping that maybe I could find it and crush the numbers myself.

Anyone know what I could use for that?

Thank you

·
Registered
130 Posts
Google “retirement calculator” a whole slew will appear
Do try a few of them, Some have more “biases” than others

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I bought the Retireware package many years ago. It did the job for me. It takes taxes into account. I wanted the flexibility to input my own numbers and my own assumptions. I found that running various `what if`scenerios really helped me. A session with CIBC at the time convinced me that I needed to do this on my own and truly understand the numbers, the time frame, etc.

I do not know if this package is still on the market or if it is competitive in terms of features and cost to others in the market. IMHO you should look for a program than incorporates Canadian tax law, allows you to input for you and your spouse (if applicable), and to look at both stand alone or as one unit. It also allowed for future `known`windfalls such as inheritances.

At the time I bought the package it was inexpensive and was recommended by a number of personal finance writers. I found it to be money well spent.

I just looked. Bought the package in 2007. I paid for one upgrade. It looks like now that rather than buying the package you buy a yearly subscription for $60. Still worth it in my view since you really do not need it every year once you have it set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts