Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the number of deaths in these facilities my guess is that they will loose alot of money on a monthly basis as no on in their right mind will send a loved one into one of these places with COVID-19 spreading so fast. Not sure if many will eventually have to close their doors for good. Pretty scary stuff. Not sure stocks like SIA etc are something anyone should own. At least 600 nursing & retirement homes have virus cases and it increasing daily.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oh the other hand, I think there are (or used to be) waiting lists to get in many places. Many have little choice but to move into one of those places. Once your health starts degrading, living at home gets really expensive really fast. You may need to get the house altered (ramps/elevators). You have to pay for the upkeep. You have to pay for various services at home. Even if you can afford all that, you're likely to end up feeling a little lonely if you no longer have the health to stray far from home to see other people.

I'm sure there will be some decline in demand but unless we can come up with a better solution, I don't see those places going away.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
From what I'm hearing out of the age 60s crowd right now, who are glued to the TV, these places won't be full of new residents anytime soon. Retirees are going to be scared shitless about diseases for the next decade. They were supposed to be the upcoming residents of these places.

After loaning to their millennial kids to buy a house, perhaps they'll be needing the loan back to stay in their own houses.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
The latest is that nursing home patients with COVID will not be transferred to hospitals.

The survival rate is so low for high risk patients who require intensive intervention (ventilation) it has been decided they should stay in place and be made as comfortable as possible. I read that as meaning they will be heavily sedated and pass away quietly.

Unfortunately, they can lock down the nursing homes, but employees can still bring in the virus.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Sure ... but then again, it seems that how the employees are being dealt with is varying dramatically. A friend here had to self isolate after returning from the US. Now at the start and end of her shifts, two suited up people take her temperature and ask about symptoms. She says that the employees known to work at multiple places have been told to pick one or the other where their choice is communicated by the DOC to the other place.

According to my sister, none of that is happening where she is.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,110 Posts
The latest is that nursing home patients with COVID will not be transferred to hospitals.

The survival rate is so low for high risk patients who require intensive intervention (ventilation) it has been decided they should stay in place and be made as comfortable as possible. I read that as meaning they will be heavily sedated and pass away quietly.

Unfortunately, they can lock down the nursing homes, but employees can still bring in the virus.
I always read 'make them comfortable' as euthanization.

This is probably the right call. One thing they could do is try to prevent workers employed at multiple homes from working at more than one, as this sounds like an excellent way to spread it between homes.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
I heard, some time ago, that we have one or two forum members who live in long-term care facilities.

Please, everyone, let's be sensitive to what must be an extremely difficult -- and frightening -- time for people who live (and work) in these settings.

I'm not saying we should avoid discussions or censor reality. Just please be sensitive to the possibility that some forum members reading this are living in these places.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Independent retirement homes operating as independent apartments with maid and once per day meal service are rather different than retirement homes consisting essentially of a bedroom suite and 3 meals a day, which are quite different than Assisted Living or Long Term Care homes with essentially 24/7 nursing care.

As I understand it, there have been few true issues truly independent living facilities where residents have full apartments, drive, participate in sports and recreation. The problems compound dramatically the more people lose their ability to function on their own, until such time AL/LTC ultimately becomes palliative care. It is this latter group which I understand are the main source of group infections and death. As one would expect actually.

I don't know what the elder, mostly 80+ crowd is thinking these days from their viewpoint knowing they may be in AL/LTC in the not so distant future. I think the likes of Regency Resorts are continuing to function relatively normal with the exception of no visitors at this time, and will continue to attract those wanting to get out of the baggage of home ownership and social isolation. Spouse and I could end up in one of these sometime in our '80s. Clearly NO ONE wants to have to go to LTC but there is often little choice once they can no longer function on their own. Something is going to get any person ending up in one of these facilities. One has to die of something.

·
Registered
12,110 Posts
My grandmother passed away a year ago after developing pneumonia, I think it is a bit of a blessing that it happened then so that she could pass with her family around her and so my family could support my grandfather through his grief. She had been living in the full-care wing while he was still in their apartment in the same home. Now he is in that home, largely he's only there because she needed fullt-time care. It's a tough spot for the family to leave him there or have him come live with one of his children.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
... One thing they could do is try to prevent workers employed at multiple homes from working at more than one, as this sounds like an excellent way to spread it between homes.
As I say ... asking workers to stick to one home is happening in my area. Given the example of Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon ON, I'd prefer if it was mandated across the country.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts