Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Soon I will become a 'non-resident for tax purposes' because I got married and will be moving to my wife's home country. However, a few years ago I bought my house using the HBP. I've been paying it back slowly (annual minimums), but I now realize that once I declare myself a non-resident, I will have to repay the balance fairly quickly.
It seems that if I do not, that amount will be added as income on my next tax return.
Since my income this year is pretty low, will it be in my best interest to just add that amount to my income, since my income reported will then essentially be the balance of my HBP?
I'm asking because we didn't anticipate having to move out of the country and I don't have enough savings to payback the balance in full.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts