Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely green to this. Never have bought stocks (although been lucky with an IPO). Don't know what stocks to buy, but the Vanguard VGRO ETF contents may be some guidance. Some dividend, fixed income sources sound good. A cash account to hold some when needed. (Don't think Questrade has this.) I have set down a short term 3-5 years to actually run the investment as I am already retired. Assume $50K in cash is avail. How and why to split that up? I am good with high to moderate risk. I have a long standing, very expensive, but successful RRSP with about 60/40 equity/fixed through a bank.
If this doesn't make sense let me know.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Questrade has a margin account that can be used a cash/non-registered account. I have been using it for the last couple of years with no problem and I never used any margin. If I were in your position, I would buy couple of ETFs such as ZRE, ZUT, XEQT and for the fixed income/bond portion, I would simply put it in EQ HISA.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
What Spudd said :) Also, not sure if this is important to you yet? - why bother with cash account when you can max out contributions to your TFSA and RRSP first?

What am I missing on that? Tax-free growth and tax-deferred growth is pretty good with VGRO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What Spudd said :) Also, not sure if this is important to you yet? - why bother with cash account when you can max out contributions to your TFSA and RRSP first?

What am I missing on that? Tax-free growth and tax-deferred growth is pretty good with VGRO.
Forgot to mention (unless I really don't get things) this is all going to go under a TFSA. have to see if I can max it out. There is much in the RRSP but at rather large MER.
It was suggested that I simply buy the stocks in VGRO or in a more logical portfolio - no portfolio fees.

I am retired and 69 yo.
The important question is how I should split the money. The "cash account" is simply a way of receiving income so I can distribute it.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I think VGRO in TFSA is great. Same with RRSP.

When it comes to taxable investing, it can be more (tax) efficient to hold individual CDN stocks or at least tax-efficient CDN stocks via some ETFs. I recall XIU is very tax-efficient. So, to an extent, you can unbundle an ETF like XIU (I have done that) for taxable investing. Then, you keep the TFSA and RRSP full of VGRO.

A thought of course.

Then again, there are certainly worse things to invest in, in a taxable account, than VGRO!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think VGRO in TFSA is great. Same with RRSP.

When it comes to taxable investing, it can be more (tax) efficient to hold individual CDN stocks or at least tax-efficient CDN stocks via some ETFs. I recall XIU is very tax-efficient. So, to an extent, you can unbundle an ETF like XIU (I have done that) for taxable investing. Then, you keep the TFSA and RRSP full of VGRO.

A thought of course.

Then again, there are certainly worse things to invest in, in a taxable account, than VGRO!!
I understand your 'thought'. I had planned to look at just that in the near future. Its just that the RRSP is doing very well. - for the last year anyway. The question in my minbd is 'Do I really want to risk disturbing that?'

And why do you say 'taxable investing'. These will all be registered....unless some of the ETF is, in fact taxable? I didn't look that closely.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I understand your 'thought'. I had planned to look at just that in the near future. Its just that the RRSP is doing very well. - for the last year anyway. The question in my minbd is 'Do I really want to risk disturbing that?'

And why do you say 'taxable investing'. These will all be registered....unless some of the ETF is, in fact taxable? I didn't look that closely.
Nothing will be taxable as long as you stick within the TFSA. (There's a very minor exception about foreign withholding tax on dividends but it's basically nothing.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing will be taxable as long as you stick within the TFSA. (There's a very minor exception about foreign withholding tax on dividends but it's basically nothing.)
Yes, OK. I understand the part about withholding tax on dividends.
I have wondered about dividend returns. Must look at those in ETFs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.