Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am studying Appraisal of Real Estate and there I have come across REIT.
REIT carry out distribution at the end of year. It also carries out repayment of equity at times. So whats difference between return of equity and distribution ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The distribution is the total amount paid out to the unitholder. It may include some return of equity (more commonly called return of capital or ROC) as well as other forms of income (capital gains, other income, dividend, etc.). The distributions may be made annually but I would say that monthly distributions are more common.

Refer to a few REIT investor sites like this one for Boardwalk (BEI.UN) to see how they classify their payments: https://www.bwalk.com/Content/Investors/IncomeTax/BREIT-T32015.pdf.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The distribution is the total amount paid out to the unitholder. It may include some return of equity (more commonly called return of capital or ROC) as well as other forms of income (capital gains, other income, dividend, etc.). The distributions may be made annually but I would say that monthly distributions are more common.
Does it mean that, whenever there is a distribution, there is always some CCA (Capital Cost Allowance) in it ? As REIT may profit or loss, but CCA will always be there in its account books.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.