Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $65k cash to invest in income dividend stocks and am looking for some input. Time horizon is at least 5 years, see my current holdings below. Thanks for your time and input.

TD
RY
BNS

FTS
AQN

ENB
SU * Dividend reduced

QSR
AW.UN * Dividend suspended temporary

CHP.UN

L

T
BCE

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was in a similar situation a few weeks back as my TD ISA was down to a miserable .25%.
I ended up adding to my position in TRP, it’s a favourite of mine. I also like and own TD, BCE, ENB, FTS, RY and AQN. All are pretty solid IMHO.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I would first ask what else is in the portfolio, e.g. from a geographical perspective such as the USA S&P500, and/or International to get some balance.

If the portfolio is intended to be narrowly constrained to Canada, certain sectors such as Industrials (like a railway) and Technology (like Open Text or Constellation) are missing even if they are not high yielding. IMO, diversification and balance is more important than overall yield so look to broaden your scope a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cloud computing has lots of room for growth, even over a 5 year period it could be worth looking into if you're somewhat risk tolerant. Personally I like to add a few purely speculative picks (although its not for everyone). Aside from that I also like TD and ENB!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have $65k cash to invest in income dividend stocks and am looking for some input. Time horizon is at least 5 years, see my current holdings below. Thanks for your time and input.

TD
RY
BNS

FTS
AQN

ENB
SU * Dividend reduced

QSR
AW.UN * Dividend suspended temporary

CHP.UN

L

T
BCE
These are all very good picks. I just moved my RRSP from index funds to a basket of these sticks last week. I intend to keep it on autopilot unless some major disaster strikes a company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stocks of major banks seem like more trustworthy investments. They are major banks, after all. So, these are not risky companies that could go up and down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although, some of these bank stocks are weird. Deutsche Bank AG decreased very much in 5 years. It went from 32 EUR to 8 EUR. Have to be careful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts