Canadian Money Forum banner

461 - 480 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Conflicting stories about cases in Ontario.

one says no surge since stage 3 re-openings. Next one says, we set a records nigh for the month of August.

Crappy headline in the second article.
The chart in the first one shows the actual data, we're pretty much flatlined, which is great.

Ontario records another 148 COVID-19 cases, its highest daily case count since July
That means that the new cases reported yesterday, are the highest daily case numbers reported for August. We've been at around 100/day all month, I want to see what the early October numbers are, we'll see what happens at schooles.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You approve of someone bringing nuisance lawsuits and wasting the money of hard-working taxpayers?
The city is giving out disposable products, that are being thrown all over creating a health hazard.
Here our needle exchange gets back 50% of the millions of needles they give out.

They're using city money to distribute medical products, which are then being carelessly thrown out, causing a health hazard. Maybe if they weren't giving away all this "free" stuff (paid for by taxpayers), they wouldn't be throwing it all over the place creating a health hazard.

No I don't support the lawsuit, but I don't support the cities spending millions giving away medical supplies, without a plan on how to keep them from turning into litter.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The numbers continue to rise.

Meanwhile, anti-maskers held a party at Toronto's Cherry Beach last night.

If I were a health care worker risking my health to treat people, when I saw these people partying, I would be asking myself, 'do I want to treat these people when they come into the hospital with Covid?' My answer quite frankly would be NO. I doubt they are going to be saying, 'oh well, I ignored the rules and now I will deal with the outcome on my own.' They will be first in line for treatment if they get the virus.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Haha, I like this guys style

That guy doesn't have 'style' in any way I can see Eder. Nor does pointing out one problem (littering of used masks) negate the benefit of having to wear masks. They are two separate subjects or is that too difficult to understand?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The numbers continue to rise.

Meanwhile, anti-maskers held a party at Toronto's Cherry Beach last night.

If I were a health care worker risking my health to treat people, when I saw these people partying, I would be asking myself, 'do I want to treat these people when they come into the hospital with Covid?' My answer quite frankly would be NO. I doubt they are going to be saying, 'oh well, I ignored the rules and now I will deal with the outcome on my own.' They will be first in line for treatment if they get the virus.
... you do realize there's a seperate health unit (physical & staff) to treat those with Covid, away from the general hospital population.

I think the problem is the "enforcement" isn't being done or not done enough.

Take the Brampton 200 house(s)-party example ... what's the resulting/final fine? The JOP still deciding? when the bylaw specifically says upto $100K ... how about $50K for the organizer(s). And $10K x 13 other participants plus another $100K for the house-owners ... these guys can get back their $$$ when they land in the Covid-ward. So far, it has been lip-service.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Good luck to the idiot mentioned in the link in post 462.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The city is giving out disposable products, that are being thrown all over creating a health hazard.
Here our needle exchange gets back 50% of the millions of needles they give out.

They're using city money to distribute medical products, which are then being carelessly thrown out, causing a health hazard. Maybe if they weren't giving away all this "free" stuff (paid for by taxpayers), they wouldn't be throwing it all over the place creating a health hazard.

No I don't support the lawsuit, but I don't support the cities spending millions giving away medical supplies, without a plan on how to keep them from turning into litter.
The link say that Edmonton gave it the disposable masks, they did the by law just like in my city. The masks were given by the province and masks were not mandated by the province. The person isn’t he pink is suing the city for the effects of the by law of people littering. Not the distribution of the mask (which was done through private companies and direct use, so distribution costs was low).

The person in the article is sueing the city for something they can no directly control over, and there has been no proof of damages. Also, he should consider than many stores are giving away disposable masks for those that forget. Is he going to sue each individual store? How About the people that actually don’t dispose of their masks? I really hope he gets stuck with all the legal costs Out of his own pocket.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The link say that Edmonton gave it the disposable masks, they did the by law just like in my city. The masks were given by the province and masks were not mandated by the province. The person isn’t he pink is suing the city for the effects of the by law of people littering. Not the distribution of the mask (which was done through private companies and direct use, so distribution costs was low).

The person in the article is sueing the city for something they can no directly control over, and there has been no proof of damages. Also, he should consider than many stores are giving away disposable masks for those that forget. Is he going to sue each individual store? How About the people that actually don’t dispose of their masks? I really hope he gets stuck with all the legal costs Out of his own pocket.
The mandating the use of items they ought to know will likely be disposed of in an unsafe manner, and not taking reasonable means to prevent this from happening. I agree it's a waste of money.

However it is basic due diligence that they should consider the obvious and known problems stemming from the laws they pass, and they have a responsibility to address or at least consider the implications of the law.
Now the question before the courts is if they did enough or not.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The mandating the use of items they ought to know will likely be disposed of in an unsafe manner, and not taking reasonable means to prevent this from happening. I agree it's a waste of money.

However it is basic due diligence that they should consider the obvious and known problems stemming from the laws they pass, and they have a responsibility to address or at least consider the implications of the law.
I would think that having trash disposal bins on public streets is enough and we've always had those. Why not sue Nestle's for selling bottled water. They contribute far more to public landfill sites and a far more environmentally unfriendly product than disposable masks are.

The idiot suing is just trying to make a point about mask wearing, I doubt he gives a fig for littering.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
^
... The idiot suing is just trying to make a point about mask wearing, I doubt he gives a fig for littering.
... (y)(y)(y)(y)

"Look at me, the BIG FIG IDIOT!"

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would think that having trash disposal bins on public streets is enough and we've always had those. Why not sue Nestle's for selling bottled water. They contribute far more to public landfill sites and a far more environmentally unfriendly product than disposable masks are.

The idiot suing is just trying to make a point about mask wearing, I doubt he gives a fig for littering.
It's a dumb lawsuit, and should be discharged promptly, and I hope it is.
However I do think it's good that the politicians know they will be held accountable.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

there are are laws against littering. how about people act responsible and throw out their garbage. The lawsuit is ridiculous.

What would one expect is due diligenc for littering. how about public garbage cans available... wait they have those. Does Tim Hortons provide extra disposal for their cups? Perhaps there should be a fee for disposable masks to buy extra garbage cans, Wait, someone will complain about the fee.

This lawsuit is some whiney person who doesn’t want to wear a mask.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
there are are laws against littering. how about people act responsible and throw out their garbage. The lawsuit is ridiculous.

What would one expect is due diligenc for littering. how about public garbage cans available... wait they have those. Does Tim Hortons provide extra disposal for their cups? Perhaps there should be a fee for disposable masks to buy extra garbage cans, Wait, someone will complain about the fee.

This lawsuit is some whiney person who doesn’t want to wear a mask.
That's why I think it should be thrown out quickly.

There are laws against racial discrimination, so why is BLM protesting?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Has any province officially gone back a “stage”? Ontario cases are highest since June. Calls are starting to demand a return to stage 2 for Ottawa, Toronto and Peel.

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
The mandating the use of items they ought to know will likely be disposed of in an unsafe manner, and not taking reasonable means to prevent this from happening ...
So what's a reasonable means of preventing the mask littering?
Making trash bins available? Having scheduled garbage pickup? HIring more by-law enforcement officers to write up tickets for those they catch littering? Having special mask cleanup sweeps, starting in the complainant's neigbourhood?

It's a dumb lawsuit, and should be discharged promptly, and I hope it is.
However I do think it's good that the politicians know they will be held accountable.
Where it's a dumb lawsuit that's discharged promptly - won't politicians see the discharge as confirming the rationale is unreasonable and from a crack pot?
I don't see where the lawsuit is of any use on the accountability front.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Has any province officially gone back a “stage”? Ontario cases are highest since June. Calls are starting to demand a return to stage 2 for Ottawa, Toronto and Peel.

More cases can be caused by more testing & better follow up...hospitalizations & deaths are more meaningful according to Dr Henry.

Death rate near zero...hospitalized & icu approaching zero according to the graphs...good job Ontario,keep it up!

Don't forget the media has been sensationalizing and politicizing Covid...best use the government website rather than click bait for info.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #479 (Edited)
Don't forget the media has been sensationalizing
I don't think media has any agenda other than engaging people and making money. Fear-inducing stories grab eyeballs and yes, just about all media hypes up really scary things.

I've been making a point of consuming limited amounts of media relating to COVID ever since it all broke. It's just not healthy to watch too much TV coverage, and I hate hearing the same stories repeatedly. Here's one example: the extreme fear about kids going back to school.

Today I ran into an Australian and talked with them a while. She said that back home, kids have gone back to school and have been there for months! I think they started in early May, so it's now over 4 months with kids back at school.

And Australia's COVID cases are still very low. Much lower than Canada's. They do have certain advantages (it's an isolated island and they have stricter travel restrictions than in Canada) but still I think it's very encouraging.

So from this, I don't think there's anything too frightening about kids going back to school. However I do wish Canada had some stricter controls like Australia does, because it appears to be helping their overall situation.

Notably, Australia restricts travel between states. I think there's too much casual inter-provincial travel in Canada. People should have good reasons for doing it: visiting family, essential business, that kind of thing. I trust our politicians to find the right balance but I hope they look carefully at Australia and New Zealand, since these cultures are very similar to ours, and are doing much better with COVID than we are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think media has any agenda other than engaging people and making money. Fear-inducing stories grab eyeballs and yes, just about all media hypes up really scary things.

I've been making a point of consuming limited amounts of media relating to COVID ever since it all broke. It's just not healthy to watch too much TV coverage, and I hate hearing the same stories repeatedly. Here's one example: the extreme fear about kids going back to school.

Today I ran into an Australian and talked with them a while. She said that back home, kids have gone back to school and have been there for months! I think they started in early May, so it's now over 4 months with kids back at school.

And Australia's COVID cases are still very low. Much lower than Canada's. They do have certain advantages (it's an isolated island and they have stricter travel restrictions than in Canada) but still I think it's very encouraging.

So from this, I don't think there's anything too frightening about kids going back to school. However I do wish Canada had some stricter controls like Australia does, because it appears to be helping their overall situation.

Notably, Australia restricts travel between states. I think there's too much casual inter-provincial travel in Canada. People should have good reasons for doing it: visiting family, essential business, that kind of thing. I trust our politicians to find the right balance but I hope they look carefully at Australia and New Zealand, since these cultures are very similar to ours, and are doing much better with COVID than we are.
NWT is very similar to Austraila in a sense that the NWT government has kept the border closed since late March. If you leave the territory you must isolate for 14 days upon returning. We have had 5 cases total with the last one being cleared in late April. However, within the last couple weeks they are just now discussing if they should make masks mandatory everywhere. Currently they are only mandatory in government buildings, public transit, and Walmart. Seems to be large push back on the masks due to what I mentioned above, no cases in months and closed border. Most people in Yellowknife don't wear masks or social distance really. The only people I see wearing masks are taxi drivers or people aged 50+ for obvious reasons.

On the kids going back to school issue, kids weren't given the option to stay home. They were going back without question and the schools will not close. My wife is an EA and has mentioned several times about the amount of staff that have been sent home due to a cold or cough. They get the covid test and then wait for up to 14 days for the results before returning to work. Unfortunately, all tests get sent south for processing. Perhaps it's not a reasonable comparison but I was shocked to hear school boards in the GTA were allowing parents to have the option of sending their kids back to school. My opinion but they are doing more harm by keeping them home then sending them to school.

Anyways, the NWT has done well so far with their actions on preventing a major outbreak in Yellowknife specially. However, I think this will come at a major cost to the local businesses outside of 2 in particular. Tourism is huge here. Not just in the summer but winter also.

461 - 480 of 489 Posts