Canadian Money Forum banner

441 - 451 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think the scientists screwed up when they named the virus COVID 19. That sounds way too benign. It sounds like a bluetooth speaker or something.

Black Plague, Bubonic Plague, Black Death,.........sound a lot more ominous and maybe that was a good thing.

I know that plagues are caused by bacteria rather than viruses, but still..........the effects are about the same.
No. The effects and death rate are far closed to the same as the flu rather than the Black Death or Bubonic plague. Facts matter...maybe not to you but they do to others.

Maybe the thought of having their lungs eaten would have caused younger adults to take it more seriously than they are.
There are a few isolated cases of lung damage compared to millions/10's of millions of asymptomatic cases.

But if we're lucky the 2nd wave will take out many of the anarchists, rioters, and looters that have taken over US cities.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Now that is something even the dumbest can understand. What's more, it makes it quite clear that the purpose of the mask is to protect others, not yourself.
It makes it clear that the respectful thing is for everyone to wear a mask. Some people are selfish and will not wear a mask because they think they don't have it and because it doesn't protect themselves, then there is nothing in it for them. However, the graphic shows there is SOME benefit to the wearer too, not NO benefit. In the case a carrier doesn't wear one, there is protection to the wearer.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If this graphic making the rounds on the Internet is even close to being factual, then I’m sold.

2nd wave is hitting Europe. Slovenia which was one of, if not the first, country to declare an end to the first wave, has just lowered allowed group sizes from 500 to 50.

and the WHO just said the worst is yet to come, globally.

View attachment 20283
I have seen this graphic. It doesn't matter if the numbers are even that close. I have seen the graphic without numbers.

Both people wearing masks - lowest risk
Carrier wearing masks - higher risk than above
Non Carrier wearing mask - higher risk than above
No one wearing masks - highest risk

Simple, everyone wear mask.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I have seen this graphic. It doesn't matter if the numbers are even that close. I have seen the graphic without numbers.
I disagree. Once they start spreading false information, or even worse, knowingly lie, they lose credibility and it undermines their authority.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.”
“Never stop questioning.”

I like both quotes. Seems applicable more today than ever.

The editor of Europe’s top medical journal, the Lancet, speculated half of their published research was likely false.

Ten years ago, Stanford epidemiologist tested over 400 research published claims and only one could be replicated and validated.

But lets put our faith in someone's meme right?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I disagree. Once they start spreading false information, or even worse, knowingly lie, they lose credibility and it undermines their authority.
I don't see spreading a lie with out the numbers. It is a fact, everyone wearing masks lowers the risk. No one wearing masks increases the risks. I don't need to know the exact numbers, as this seems to be just common sense. Countries that had introduced mask wearing early on, or where it is a part of the culture seem to be reducing the speed of spread better. I don't have the numbers, but just because there isn't a triple blind study that has been testing under all assumptions, doesn't make it false.

Fact: Masks reduce spread. Period

·
Registered
12,567 Posts
Comparing the fatality rate of COVID to the flu is ridiculous. This virus far more contagious and deadly.

Many people died in past plagues, but they didn't have communication to know it was coming or what to do, and they had no healthcare or medicines.

Without ventilators and drugs, a lot more people would be dying from COVID today.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I don't see spreading a lie with out the numbers. It is a fact, everyone wearing masks lowers the risk. No one wearing masks increases the risks. I don't need to know the exact numbers, as this seems to be just common sense. Countries that had introduced mask wearing early on, or where it is a part of the culture seem to be reducing the speed of spread better. I don't have the numbers, but just because there isn't a triple blind study that has been testing under all assumptions, doesn't make it false.

Fact: Masks reduce spread. Period
I agree, we don't need numbers, and masks work.

My issue simply is simply with the fact that they're apparently choosing to put false information out.
Just like when Dr Tam didn't recommend wearing masks a few months ago.

Lying demonstrates a lack of integrity and rightfully destroys credibility.

·
Super Moderator
3,193 Posts
In MB we're well into our Phase 3 stage and it's been 7 days now without a new case.
Have actually gone to a few restaurants now that many have opened up tables inside.
A see a small percentage of people wearing masks still and overall most are still being good about the 2m spacing.

441 - 451 of 451 Posts