Canadian Money Forum banner

421 - 440 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have been seeing family members, just avoiding contact (no hugging, etc. and trying to maintain distance). Bubbles are kind of unworkable. Each person is going to have their own bubble, like my sister and her inlaws. Maybe that is good enough.
I question the practicality of bubbles as well. If one person in your bubble goes to work for example then they expose all of your bubble to whoever they come into close contact with while they are working. The only way to maintain a bubble would be if no member of the bubble ever has any outside contact with other people.

I think the same applies to 'regional' opening as we now have in Ontario. It is impossible to not have people from Toronto not travel into areas where things are more open. Hairdressers are getting calls for appointments, restaurants are getting people driving out of the city to go for a meal, etc.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
South Bruce County in Ontario are re-closing their beaches.

Toronto beach goers also gave the lie to the expectation that we can trust people to behave responsibly as things are opened up.

In Edmonton, 5 bars/restaurants have re-closed after having positive tests come up for staff/customers.

The good news is these bars/restaurants voluntarily decided to re-close. They are acting responsibly but I question whether all the staff and customers were.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Wrong links, I think.
Oops, yes the first two are wrong. Google Sauble Beach or Toronto beach Ford news and you will find them. I think the point is clear though andrewf. Opening beaches has resulted in overcrowding. The conclusion from my perspective seems to be clear. If we cannot expect people to drive up and say, 'oh, too many people, I'm not going to join in with that', then we cannot open beaches.

There is no doubt that everything we open will add to new cases. The Edmonton restaurants are a good example of that. But if it only adds a few cases and they are dealt with promptly, that can be considered an acceptable risk. But some things like beaches have the obvious potential to add large numbers of cases and no real way to trace them.

We may have to either accept some things just can't be allowed to open up, like beaches or accept we are likely to end up back in runaway transmission levels.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
The provinces are in different phases of reopening. But what I'm seeing in Vancouver BC makes me nervous.

When I go into stores, it seems that only about 1/3 of people are wearing masks. I would say that the worst group are young people (under 30) as I hardly ever see them wearing masks.

I'm also seeing lots of crowds inside stores. Some stores, the large chains (like Starbucks) are good at enforcing distancing and customer limits. Other stores are not enforcing anything. I saw several stores that looked like they had about 10 to 20 people crammed inside, no distance between people, and NO masks.

At my own apartment building, I just saw about 10 to 15 young people entering (they said it was a birthday party). They packed themselves into the elevator (zero distance between people) and are going to spend the night drinking, crammed into a small space together. If anyone there has COVID, the rest of them will have it tomorrow.

Contact tracing cannot keep up with this. Based on a sample of what I saw today, there is way too much of this kind of thing happening. It will get out of hand.

I really think the young adults will be spreading this. I think the province should shut down all bars and night clubs, and prohibit any gatherings of more than X people even in private residences.

Young people have to make some sacrifices. They will have to go a few months without partying. And they won't do this on their own ... we need to enforce this by law.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The provinces are in different phases of reopening. But what I'm seeing in Vancouver BC makes me nervous.

When I go into stores, it seems that only about 1/3 of people are wearing masks. I would say that the worst group are young people (under 30) as I hardly ever see them wearing masks.

I'm also seeing lots of crowds inside stores. Some stores, the large chains (like Starbucks) are good at enforcing distancing and customer limits. Other stores are not enforcing anything. I saw several stores that looked like they had about 10 to 20 people crammed inside, no distance between people, and NO masks.

At my own apartment building, I just saw about 10 to 15 young people entering (they said it was a birthday party). They packed themselves into the elevator (zero distance between people) and are going to spend the night drinking, crammed into a small space together. If anyone there has COVID, the rest of them will have it tomorrow.

Contact tracing cannot keep up with this. Based on a sample of what I saw today, there is way too much of this kind of thing happening. It will get out of hand.

I really think the young adults will be spreading this. I think the province should shut down all bars and night clubs, and prohibit any gatherings of more than X people even in private residences.

Young people have to make some sacrifices. They will have to go a few months without partying. And they won't do this on their own ... we need to enforce this by law.
it’s this exact behaviour that causes multiple waves. I was reading about the Spanish and it was the fatigue and Reluctance to follow rules that caused multiple waves.

the mayors of the greater Toronto Area are meeting today to discuss mandatory mask wearing in public places.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
During the Spanish Flu they didn't have instant internet, radio or television access to the latest news.

They also didn't have health authorities describing the situation and issuing directions and warnings.

I am thinking the people didn't see anyone sick for awhile and thought it had all blown over. They went on with their lives and the virus kept coming back in waves.

We have the communications today and should be able to spare ourselves from the worst, but some people are determined to carry on regardless.

With the talk of a possible future vaccine, the anti-vaxxers are starting up again. Instant communication allows them to thrive as well.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
I think the scientists screwed up when they named the virus COVID 19. That sounds way too benign. It sounds like a bluetooth speaker or something.

Black Plague, Bubonic Plague, Black Death,.........sound a lot more ominous and maybe that was a good thing.

I know that plagues are caused by bacteria rather than viruses, but still..........the effects are about the same.

They also called this an outbreak, then an epidemic, and now a pandemic. They should have called it the Cannibal Flu because it eats the lungs.

Maybe the thought of having their lungs eaten would have caused younger adults to take it more seriously than they are.

Trump calls this the Kung Flu. He was only out by one letter of the alphabet. He should have called it the Lung Flu.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
it’s this exact behaviour that causes multiple waves. I was reading about the Spanish and it was the fatigue and Reluctance to follow rules that caused multiple waves.
Mandatory mask usage is a good idea. It's really not hard... I've now been wearing masks regularly for a few months. A few days ago I realized it has started to become second nature. I forgot I was wearing one.

But the kids have got to stop with all this partying. I'm seeing them behaving as "normal" but we're in the middle of a pandemic.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Mandatory mask usage is a good idea. It's really not hard... I've now been wearing masks regularly for a few months. A few days ago I realized it has started to become second nature. I forgot I was wearing one.

But the kids have got to stop with all this partying. I'm seeing them behaving as "normal" but we're in the middle of a pandemic.
From what I see, it's mostly adults, not kids.

The kids are stuck at home, and suffering quite significantly from social isolation. Social interaction is critical for a childs development.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
From what I see, it's mostly adults, not kids.

The kids are stuck at home, and suffering quite significantly from social isolation. Social interaction is critical for a childs development.
Sorry, I said kids but I meant teens/young adults. And it shows up in the stats: the most rapid growth of infections are in the 20-40 age group.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I admit I don't wear a mask and don't know anybody who does. Even during the peak of infections, I only observed perhaps 10% of people wearing masks in public. You have to keep in mind that we never had a high number of COVID-19 cases here in BC. That could absolutely change, and I would expect there to be increased mask wearing if it does.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
I admit I don't wear a mask and don't know anybody who does. Even during the peak of infections, I only observed perhaps 10% of people wearing masks in public. You have to keep in mind that we never had a high number of COVID-19 cases here in BC. That could absolutely change, and I would expect there to be increased mask wearing if it does.
Even normally speaking (pre-COVID), I would see people, usually asian, wearing masks in public. Maybe in rural BC you don't see it, but in Vancouver I doubt it.

I wasn't wearing a mask for a few weeks until I got a cloth one that a family member made. I'd say currently only 30% are wearing. At peak it was 50%. I saw one couple walking around in a full respirator (plastic face shield) like you would use for harmful chemicals like pesticides.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Yesterday, I bought a plastic face shield at a local store for $10. These are only available because nobody is worried right now.

As soon as the case count spikes up again, supplies will again be impossible to find. I highly recommend getting your hands on some masks right now. Worst case scenario, you can still use them in cold & flu season, the way Asians have always been doing.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I'm pretty sure if cases increase we will hear it is because of not wearing masks...nothing to do with recent protests or pride parades.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If this graphic making the rounds on the Internet is even close to being factual, then I’m sold.

2nd wave is hitting Europe. Slovenia which was one of, if not the first, country to declare an end to the first wave, has just lowered allowed group sizes from 500 to 50.

and the WHO just said the worst is yet to come, globally.

F1FC41C1-D9F5-4AA4-965D-3322623FB337.jpeg

·
Registered
781 Posts
If this graphic making the rounds on the Internet is even close to being factual, then I’m sold.

2nd wave is hitting Europe. Slovenia which was one of, if not the first, country to declare an end to the first wave, has just lowered allowed group sizes from 500 to 50.

if I’m popping into a store or restaurant for 2 mins (pickin up take out, or some batteries at the dollar store) I don’t wear a mask....if I’m going to spend longer (grocery, Home Depot), then I mask up.

View attachment 20283

·
Registered
2,985 Posts

View attachment 20283
Now that is something even the dumbest can understand. What's more, it makes it quite clear that the purpose of the mask is to protect others, not yourself.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

View attachment 20283
It's conceptually correct, but the numbers are bogus.
1. I don't know of any research that supports them.
2. The math doesn't add up, and they skip the case of no masks at all? Is that 100%?
Anyway if Recipient mask blocks 30%, and Spreader mask blocks 95%, the combined efficiency is somewhere around 96.5% (or 70% * 5% = 3.5%)
Unless they're arguing some minimum dose exposure limit, which again I'm not sure if that's scientifically valid.

I LOVE that they made it visual, and conceptually simple.
I hate that it is likely factually made up @[email protected]#[email protected]

421 - 440 of 450 Posts