Canadian Money Forum banner

241 - 260 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Do you think people work for $40k when they can earn $70k? Usually those couples where 1 person can earn $70k are in a higher socioeconomic class than those where both can earn $40k. It is a form of consumption to have a stay at home spouse due to home production. I know conservatives want their wives barefoot in the kitchen--don't moan about how the tax system should be biased against min wage earners to support their middle-income lifestyle with a stay-at-home spouse,
In some cases yes.
I know a few families where they stuck to jobs and areas where they were both making a modest salary, rather than relocating/changing to a different job where it would be a substantially higher salary for one of them.

Also some of the higher salary positions typically were more demanding, and that spouse would be less available for child care. This is quite common in shiftwork, like for nurses or autoworkers. The spouse has to take a more flexible job to accomodate it (which pays correspondingly less)

I'm not sure what your last statement is even trying to say

I just think that if government support benefits and programs are based on family income, then taxes should be paid based on family income. It is not fair that households with the same income will pay different amounts of taxes, and get different levels of government support.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
In a couple where two spouses earn $40k each, but one is capable of earning $70k if they chose (I struggle to imagine how often this is the case), that family is better off than the one where each only earns $40k and is not capable of earning more. Presumably the one spouse is earning less because they find the lower paying job more fulfilling or less demanding/dangerous/etc.

The whole argument about subsidizing stay-at-home spouses is really just an attempt to disincentivize the second spouse from working outside the home. I thought conservatives were terribly concerned about preserving work incentives.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
In a couple where two spouses earn $40k each, but one is capable of earning $70k if they chose (I struggle to imagine how often this is the case), that family is better off than the one where each only earns $40k and is not capable of earning more. Presumably the one spouse is earning less because they find the lower paying job more fulfilling or less demanding/dangerous/etc.

The whole argument about subsidizing stay-at-home spouses is really just an attempt to disincentivize the second spouse from working outside the home. I thought conservatives were terribly concerned about preserving work incentives.
Nobody is talking about subsidizing stay at home spouses.
It's just about treating families fairly.

It is not fair to have one family pay more taxes than another family when they have the same income.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
So once again the number of tests done in Ontario dropped to 5,000 or so thanks to labs being closed for the long weekend. Really???? Did Covid-19 take a long weekend off too? This is just ridiculous.

Ontario is basically sitting on a plateau as far as reported cases goes. That means we are sitting at the PEAK, not even on the down side at all. What is it that people don't understand about this?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

It is not fair to have one family pay more taxes than another family when they have the same income.
LOL, that's a pretty naive view of how we pay income tax MrMatt. I may earn as much or more than you and still pay less income tax depending on deductions, allowances, etc. Do they use RRSPs, TFSA accounts, etc.

The tax rules are the same for everyone, but how any individuals take advantage of the rules or not is up to them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
So once again the number of tests done in Ontario dropped to 5,000 or so thanks to labs being closed for the long weekend. Really???? Did Covid-19 take a long weekend off too? This is just ridiculous.

Ontario is basically sitting on a plateau as far as reported cases goes. That means we are sitting at the PEAK, not even on the down side at all. What is it that people don't understand about this?
Active cases in Ontario have been falling for weeks.
Of course most media reports "total cases", which includes recovered cases, and can't go down.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Active cases in Ontario have been falling for weeks.
Of course most media reports "total cases", which includes recovered cases, and can't go down.
I'm not bothered by active cases vs. total cases MrMatt. What I am looking at is NEW reported cases and that is not falling at all. It if isn't then what does it tell us?

The real question is where is Ontario's R number and that is not easy to find. It isn't reported to us on a daily basis like case numbers etc. But if the number of daily reported new cases is not falling then it doesn't look like the R number is below 1.

So if 100 cases are reported today, the question is how many others did they infect? If 100 new cases are reported tomorrow then that looks like 1:1. If it happens the day after tomorrow and the day after that etc. it remains 1:1. When we see 100 new cases and then only 50 on a later day, then it is dropping. I don't see Ontario dropping yet do you?

·
Registered
12,184 Posts

As long as you put a value on the services that the stay at home spouse produces (could be upwards of $40k of child care, etc.).

I mean, why should a single person earning $80k pay the same tax as a family with one income at $80k, a stay at home spouse and a raft of kids. The family is making the decision to forego the market income spouse 2 could produce and instead consume the benefits of that spouse staying home on child care, work around the house, substituting for purchased products (home production of food, furniture, clothes, whatever). That is all obtained tax free.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Cases have been falling in Ontario for weeks. Though it seems in the last week there has been an uptick.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/chart-ontario-covid-19-cases-over-time-1.5545112

This is to be expected as people start relaxing their distancing efforts.

what data shows no delcine?
Umm, well the data you linked shows it increasing for the last week as YOU have said. It is climbing again. Maybe your idea of a 'decline' is different from mine. Mine is when the number of new cases CONTINUES to decline for 14 consecutive days or more. We were on that path till May 12th and now we are not. Ontario is back up to over 400 new cases for the last couple of days from a low of 328 on May 12th.

So no MrMatt, cases are not 'falling' as you state, they are RISING. You can't just say, 'though there has been an uptick' as you do, when the 'uptick' has been constant for 10 days. An 'uptick' in my definition would be if on ONE day, there was a rise but it was back down again the next day and continued to go down, not UP.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Umm, well the data you linked shows it increasing for the last week as YOU have said. It is climbing again. Maybe your idea of a 'decline' is different from mine. Mine is when the number of new cases CONTINUES to decline for 14 consecutive days or more. We were on that path till May 12th and now we are not. Ontario is back up to over 400 new cases for the last couple of days from a low of 328 on May 12th.

So no MrMatt, cases are not 'falling' as you state, they are RISING. You can't just say, 'though there has been an uptick' as you do, when the 'uptick' has been constant for 10 days. An 'uptick' in my definition would be if on ONE day, there was a rise but it was back down again the next day and continued to go down, not UP.
They changed the testing methodology and are detecting more cases.

The number of cases today is much lower than 3 weeks ago, even though they're testing people who would not have been tested under the old process.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
They changed the testing methodology and are detecting more cases.

The number of cases today is much lower than 3 weeks ago, even though they're testing people who would not have been tested under the old process.
I think there is some wishful thinking on your part going on MrMatt. There have been less tests done in the last five days, so the number of tests or the methodology used cannot account for the now 11 days of increasing numbers of cases.

I have little doubt that Mother's Day played a part and that this past long weekend will also play a part as will warming weather going forward and the easing of restrictions. Fully 1/3 of all new cases are known community spread and another 31% are 'pending' meaning the source is not known yet but could also be community spread. I wish they would give us better breakdowns of the new cases numbers in regards to LTC homes, other congregate areas like the meatplants in Alberta or the greenhouses in SW Ontario, etc. and then the community spread numbers. The more detailed the breakdown, the better we can see where we are falling short in stopping the spread.

Fully 2/3rds of all cases are in the GTA area. I'd like to know how many of the new cases are there vs. elsewhere. For example, an increase in more rural cases would indicate that those outside the GTA are becoming less likely to adhere to distancing.

I'd also like to know how many new cases are in each age group. From the link: Some 30.4 per cent of total confirmed cases in the province have been in people aged 40-59. The 20-39 demographic makes up 24.8 per cent of all cases. People aged 60-79 and over 80 account for 20.9 per cent and 20.8 per cent, respectively.

But is the 77% of deaths being from LTC homes decreasing or not? It is reasonable to expect the greatest percentage of deaths to be in that age group but should it continue to come solely from LTC homes?

I find the daily press briefings we are getting now at all levels of government are all about money aid, re-opening changes and say little if anything anymore about what is changing in terms of how we are doing with containing the virus. Where are we doing well, where are we falling short, are people slacking off distancing, etc.

For example, when Ontario's Chief Medical Officer, David Williams was asked point blank whether Mother's Day may have played a role in the rising number of new cases, his response was pathetic. He said people 'may have been a bit more casual over the last few weekends than he would have liked.' In other words, YES was the answer but he didn't come right out and say something like, 'those who ignored distancing whether to visit Mother or for any other reason have no doubt selfishly added to the increase in new cases, the added burden on healthcare workers and the added risk to everyone else.'

Ford wasn't much better calling the 10 day rise in new cases ''concerning'. What he did not say is something like, 'we need to identify WHY the number is rising and if it points to a shortcoming of some kind in how we are dealing with the possibility of spread, we will ACT on that. If we identify that people are starting to act irresponsibly, we will ramp up fines for those doing so.' He needs to make it clear that there will be real penalties imposed. Instead what he keeps repeating when asked any questions about irresponsible behaviour is, 'I have faith in the people of Ontario', over and over. In other words, he hopes people will act responsibly but isn't willing to say he will punish them if they don't since that might cost him some votes in the next election.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah, the Ontario numbers really are looking bad.
London numbers aren't too bad.

I think people have given up on distancing, the nice weather is here, and they're talking about opening.

I think the strong initial COVID response is almost a victim of it's own success.

As well the massive delays in necessary medical services, and lockdown related harm is really starting to build some discontent.

I hope they take this and build better policies going forward.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yesterday's new cases for Ontario was again over 400. There is no question we are trending upwards again. The people congregating in the Toronto park are just selfish idiots. Notice in the pictures the obvious age group.

How do you get a 20 something year old to understand they are being assholes.

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
I can almost hear the Mamas and Papas singing in that picture.........LOL.

We have a park about the same size on the other side of our back fence. There is never anyone in it.

It must be a Toronto thing. Maybe they all live in highrise buildings and just gotta get out for a bit.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
^ Ignorance, Personal Irresponsibility, Me-Me-Me genre and a mayor who talks on 2 sides of his mouth. When is he and his 44 odd lackies taking a pay-cut for hiding in the basement, supposingly WAH?

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
It was pointed out in the media that Andrew Scheer resigned but still collects opposition leader wages and lives free in the official residence.

Maybe he should stop insinuating that people collecting the CERB are lazy and cheaters who don't want to work ?

All the political parties, including the Liberals have applied for the worker subsidy, so they qualify while some businesses don't.

We need to return to normal as soon as we can, but we can't "will" the virus away. We have to continue to deal with it until it is gone.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
"How do you get a 20 something year old to understand they are being assholes.."

weren't you ever 20-something LTA? .........you can't!

241 - 260 of 331 Posts