Canadian Money Forum banner

221 - 240 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
By what logic?
The US has nearly twice the deaths per capita of Canada.
By the logic of someone who wants to see things in a certain way and only in that way.

Like Trump saying that the USA is leading in testing. You take an absolute number and ignore any 'per capita' numbers. You take states that have very low case numbers per capita due to low population density and then compare them to a province with high density and a resulting higher per capita number. So say, Montana vs. Ontario.

Or maybe you take a state like say Georgia which has 37,500 cases and 1600 deaths and compare it to Ontario which has 22,600 cases and 1800 deaths and then say, 'see, Georgia has more cases but less deaths, so they are doing better than Ontario.' At the same time you conveniently ignore they have 10 million population vs. Ontario's 14.5 million population so in fact Ontario has less cases and less deaths per capita.

Cherry picking data is easy for anyone to do MrMatt. I don't know why that would surprise you when a poster here does it to try and support their contentions.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
OK I will clarify....

Most states in the USA have lower death rates than Quebec or Ontario...I won't go thru all the data to elaborate.but Quebec has a worse death record than all USA states other than 8.

So ya...we are being pretty smug and condescending to the USA but we suck pretty bad at our Corona response as well.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
OK I will clarify....

Most states in the USA have lower death rates than Quebec or Ontario...I won't go thru all the data to elaborate.but Quebec has a worse death record than all USA states other than 8.

So ya...we are being pretty smug and condescending to the USA but we suck pretty bad at our Corona response as well.
"Okay I'll clarify" by making a different claim.

"I'll make this claim, but I won't support it."

Ontario, the second worst province, is mid pack across US states.
Quebec, the worst performing province barely makes it into the top 10 of US states.

Our overall per capita death numbers are half the US numbers.
Even the only Quebec and Ontario per capita numbers are better than the US numbers.

We're not perfect, but we're doing pretty good.

I don't think our Coronavirus response was great, but to say it sucks is unfair.

Yes Trudeau should have shut the border sooner, and enforced a mandatory quarantine. But I appreciate that would have been politically unpopular at the time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If we had closed our border just with the USA sooner, not even all international travel, we would be lower in every way. A whole lot of our cases came via the USA. March breakers alone returning from the USA are probably responsible for a significant percentage of all our cases.

We have nothing to look at in the USA and envy and plenty to look at and wish we had reacted to differently.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
It was returning Canadians that brought the virus into Canada. Trudeau couldn't refuse to let them return.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It was returning Canadians that brought the virus into Canada. Trudeau couldn't refuse to let them return.
No we couldn't refuse to allow them to return sags but if you look at each step that was taken and when it was taken we could have done things DIFFERENTLY.

What we did was in fact REACT each step of the way when we could have been more PROACTIVE instead. We waited till the first cases were brought in from China and then we stopped travel to China. We waited till more cases came in from other countries and then stopped international travel except to the USA. We waited till all the people who had booked and paid for March Break vacations left on those vacations and then we stopped travel to the USA and imposed a mandatory quarantine on all returning travellers.

IF we had stopped all international travel after even the first case was brought back from China, what difference would that have made? IF we had imposed a mandatory quarantine for all returning Canadians after the first case came in what difference would that have made?

All of these decisions could have been made sooner than they were, the question is why weren't they and the answer is MONEY and the unwillingness to face the outrage that would have came from the public in their ignorance. They had to 'spoon feed' each step to the public, one step at a time. I understand that but I think we could have taken each step at least 2 weeks earlier and that would have made a big difference in the outcome. The same is the case with how we shut down internally each step of the way, too slow.

How to combat a virus is simple and well known. Stop travel and isolate. It has worked since medieval times. The problem is what it will do to the economy and the unwillingness of the public to accept what has to be done.

Returning Canadians are not responsible for the outcome we have had so far, our prioritizing factors other than how to stop it are responsible.

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
So no new cases today and only one new case in Manitoba over the long weekend.

So the one new case in all of Manitoba just happens to be an employee at one of the Walmarts I shop at ... what are the chances. :) It'll be interesting to see if any community spread numbers occur from this and they didn't release any tracing info about where that employee might have gotten it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
427 new confirmed cases of COVID19 announced in Ontario today. After a steady three-week decrease leading up to May 12, the five-day average number of cases has actually been rising for the past week.

Today was the official start of stage 1 restriction easing. Some theorizing the rise in cases is due to Mothers Day. Hoping the long weekend hasn’t made things worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Most of the USA is doing better than Quebec or Ontario,
Ontario is doing much better than Quebec. I would say most places to which Canadians would travel in the US are not doing particularly well. Nebraska and North Dakota are kind of irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
How bout Hawaii...no one goes there
At any rate it is not about that...NY,NJ,ONT and Quebec all screwed the pooch. Better to blame all 4 on America.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
How bout Hawaii...no one goes there
At any rate it is not about that...NY,NJ,ONT and Quebec all screwed the pooch. Better to blame all 4 on America.
Ontario has had 1680 cases / 138 deaths per million. The USA as a whole has averaged 4750 / 283. Ontario is outperforming the vast majority of the states including backwaters like South Dakota, Missouri, etc. Hawaii has done well, but it is also an island.

Far be it from me to defend Doug.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ontario has had 1680 cases / 138 deaths per million. The USA as a whole has averaged 4750 / 283. Ontario is outperforming the vast majority of the states including backwaters like South Dakota, Missouri, etc. Hawaii has done well, but it is also an island.

Far be it from me to defend Doug.
And yet New York...not a "backwater" state in your fantasy world (we assume), deliberately sent Covid positive seniors back into care centers to infect entire buildings which killed thousands upon thousands.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Others in Ontario are ridiculing the fact that housekeepers are now allowed in your home, but not your family.
Lots to criticize in the details.
But to slowly get the economy going, instead of just going full open makes sense.

Secondly a housekeeper is going to have less personal contact than a family visitor.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Ontario will not open schools till September according to Ford. No date for when Daycares will be allowed to reopen.

At the same time, people are being called back to work. Now you have parents complaining, 'how can I go back to work when there is no where to dump my kids for the day?'

Kinda makes you wonder why some people chose to have kids. When we moved from having a parent at home and a parent out working, to both parents out working, was it really progress?

Meanwhile as Ontario keeps schools closed and parents complain about them being closed, in BC, some parents are complaining about the exact opposite.

Re the housekeeper but not family visitor issue MrMatt, that's an easy one. Have your family visitor do the housekeeping. LOL

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ontario will not open schools till September according to Ford. No date for when Daycares will be allowed to reopen.

At the same time, people are being called back to work. Now you have parents complaining, 'how can I go back to work when there is no where to dump my kids for the day?'

Kinda makes you wonder why some people chose to have kids. When we moved from having a parent at home and a parent out working, to both parents out working, was it really progress?
I think it was a step backwards, but the government is purposely attacking single income families with a stay at home parent.
It is financially beneficial to have 2 parents working at $40k than 1 parent earning $70k, and the other staying home.

Liberals and NDP want families to be dependant on government programs, so that they keep voting for bigger and more expensive government programs. It's a self sustaining cycle of growth.

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Looks like Manitoba is entering phase 2 this Friday. Increased group sizes for both indoor and outdoor were mentioned with more details to follow later this week. So far the numbers here have remained very good since phase 1 started weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
And yet New York...not a "backwater" state in your fantasy world (we assume), deliberately sent Covid positive seniors back into care centers to infect entire buildings which killed thousands upon thousands.
Not sure what you're on about. I said NY, along with most other states, have a worse record than Ontario. Go grind your ax against NYC elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I think it was a step backwards, but the government is purposely attacking single income families with a stay at home parent.
It is financially beneficial to have 2 parents working at $40k than 1 parent earning $70k, and the other staying home.

Liberals and NDP want families to be dependant on government programs, so that they keep voting for bigger and more expensive government programs. It's a self sustaining cycle of growth.
Do you think people work for $40k when they can earn $70k? Usually those couples where 1 person can earn $70k are in a higher socioeconomic class than those where both can earn $40k. It is a form of consumption to have a stay at home spouse due to home production. I know conservatives want their wives barefoot in the kitchen--don't moan about how the tax system should be biased against min wage earners to support their middle-income lifestyle with a stay-at-home spouse,

221 - 240 of 335 Posts