Canadian Money Forum banner

181 - 200 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Here's another provincial difference: Ontario and Quebec border the northeast US and NY state, which have a serious outbreak ... Every day, there are people crossing the Ontario/US border to visit family or take care of urgent family needs. So there is quite a bit of population mixing at that border.
Plus the approximately 1600 Canadian nurses crossing the border daily to work in Detroit.

This article puts it as high at 2,000.

Cheers

·
Registered
16,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #185

·
Registered
76 Posts
cainvest
Super Moderator

Joined May 1, 2013
2,965 Posts
#160 1 d ago
Back on with the provincial covid .... three days now with ZERO new cases! :)
Another week (or two) of low numbers and I think they'll start with phase 2.

as in reply to the above post from two pages back

What province, cainvest? Quebec just bumped montreal back into ''no fun til it's all done&gone'' zone for at least 1&1/2 month more. (Right after July 2nd, to be precise) and I was reading about air canada admitting they won't be able to pick up the pace until 2022 or something. Quite depressing it is, for the people counting on that. Bombardier got hit even harder, I don't know for the western canada oil stocks...

...anyways. I found some flights on westjet.ca and hereis the information that tells about the ''later is going to be better'' for the nation-wideairplane company.

Air Canada is losing its propensity to make profits while on a flight lockdown. The bleeding will continue as aircraft maintenance costs are a must. Also, the deal to acquire Transat to boost Air Canada’s leisure business won’t be moving forward. The pandemic has torpedoed the transaction and is not a priority now.
Air Passenger Rights mentioned two proposed class-against lawsuits against Canadian airlines, including Air Canada. The cases will demand full refunds to customers due to flight cancellations.
Losing proposition
The federal government’s back is against the wall. Even with a bailout, Air Canada’s future is uncertain. First, the industry needs to stabilize. Second, lifting travel restrictions will not guarantee that travel demand returns quickly to pre-corona levels. Last, Air Canada admits that the recovery period will take no less than three years.
(yesterday's news, quite recent nonetheless)

·
Registered
76 Posts

It's none of my business yet I lived&worked in Tory Alta so I'm just having thoughts regarding the ''progressive opening'' and ''maximum fifteen people gathering'' . What's the result on this? That article (two days ago) only mentions how people aren't too keen on using the app mentioned here, may 1st.

case counts and hospitalizations remain stable, a more widespread reopening is set for May 14.
At that time, retailers, museums and art galleries, daycares, hairstylists and barber shops are to be allowed to open, but public gatherings will still be restricted to no more than 15 people.
Arenas, gyms, pools, movie theatres and nightclubs are to open down the road, depending on case counts and hospitalizations.

edit : that article from global points at what's acceptable as opposed to what is not. It was published yesterday. Can you visit family and friends? Here’s a breakdown of the rules by province

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Plus the approximately 1600 Canadian nurses crossing the border daily to work in Detroit.

This article puts it as high at 2,000.

Cheers
I don't know what the actual situation is and the media reports are far from clear. I've read 1600 workers cross and I've read only 57 do. Windsor cross border healthcare workers asked to pick one location

What does seem to be clear is that those who cross were asked to pick one side or the other to work in. So while they may be crossing to and from home, they are not going from hospital to hospital.

While some people are crossing the border as 'essential travel' like truck drivers or nurses, they are in any case a trickle compared to what the numbers would be if tourism travel were to be allowed. As long as that is not allowed, cross border travel does not worry me too much.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ford's Coronavirus numbers while not terrible, are nothing to brag about. I'm disappointed with his response to Coronavirus so far.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
I see a similarity between Donald Trump and Doug Ford, in that both were elected as conservatives when they were not really die hard conservatives.

Running for conservative parties gave both an opportunity to run for a major political party. It was an opportune moment for them.

Both initially acquiesced to their more conservative members in their policies. The difference is when Ford got burned by them, he shuffled his cabinet, apologized to those affected and changed the policy direction.

While Ford changed course and pivoted to more central policies, Trump doubled down on conservatism influenced by the alt right in the GOP.

Ford refused to campaign for Andrew Scheer in the election. He is not interested in right wing or left wing policies. He is trying to find the right policies.

Trump is only ever interested in what he thinks is best for him. He couldn't care less how many people die from COVID.

I give Ford credit for growing in the job, just as I give Trudeau credit for the same. Both are doing a good job in a difficult situation.

If both can lead through this crisis, they can lead through anything that may come.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ford's Coronavirus numbers while not terrible, are nothing to brag about. I'm disappointed with his response to Coronavirus so far.
How so?

I thought he's done well, he's working hard, not blaming, and remaining focused on the key issues.

He's also doing team conferences and having the responsible ministers talk, it isn't a one man show, which is good, because some, such as Christine Elliot, are smarter than he is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How so?

I thought he's done well, he's working hard, not blaming, and remaining focused on the key issues.

He's also doing team conferences and having the responsible ministers talk, it isn't a one man show, which is good, because some, such as Christine Elliot, are smarter than he is.
Numbers of COVID Infections and number of COVID Deaths.

The press conferences are good and all but the numbers are a more important measure of success.

In baseball, I judge someone on their batting average, not the comments in the after-game press conferences.

Ford numbers aren't terrible but he needs to improve his numbers.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Numbers of COVID Infections and number of COVID Deaths.

The press conferences are good and all but the numbers are a more important measure of success.

In baseball, I judge someone on their batting average, not the comments in the after-game press conferences.

Ford numbers aren't terrible but he needs to improve his numbers.
I think you have to judge based on the actions and things under their control.
They can't actually lock everyone in their houses, like they did in some jurisdictions.

I think Canadian political leaders have done a decent job at getting people to generally comply, controlling the spread, and taking care of people.
I think the handouts are unfair, and poorly executed.

I wouldn't say that Quebec leaders are doing worse than BC. BC just got lucky.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you have to judge based on the actions and things under their control.
They can't actually lock everyone in their houses, like they did in some jurisdictions.

I think Canadian political leaders have done a decent job at getting people to generally comply, controlling the spread, and taking care of people.
I think the handouts are unfair, and poorly executed.

I wouldn't say that Quebec leaders are doing worse than BC. BC just got lucky.
I'd prefer to judge based on objective measures like Infections and deaths. Words and assurances are more subjective and open to spin.

That said, he isn't terrible on the numbers but he's also not in the range where I would say he's doing good.

He has lots to do to improve Ontario's numbers.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
You have garbage data...only thing you have accurate is deaths....so I'm thinking you just dislike Ford (and most likely Kenney) but love JT,

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have garbage data...only thing you have accurate is deaths....so I'm thinking you just dislike Ford (and most likely Kenney) but love JT,
It's the Data that Ford's government is releasing that I'm criticizing. and deaths is most important metric as it's the most serious.

I voted for Ford bro so i don't dislike him for some partisan reason. I'm just not impressed or satisfied with his performance. Don't bring the sourness from the gun debate thread onto this man.

His numbers are NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It's the Data that Ford's government is releasing that I'm criticizing. and deaths is most important metric as it's the most serious.

I voted for Ford bro so i don't dislike him for some partisan reason. I'm just not impressed or satisfied with his performance. Don't bring the sourness from the gun debate thread onto this man.

His numbers are NOT GOOD.
The number of COVID deaths isn't something any politician can control. Sure they might be able to influence, but only so much.
I don't think it's a fair measure of their ability.

What is he actually doing that isn't satisfactory?

181 - 200 of 451 Posts