Canadian Money Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
We really don't have much industry in Canada. We mainly have energy sector which has been weak for a long time, and residential real estate which doesn't produce anything of value. So our GDP is mainly dependent on flipping million dollar houses and bringing in more immigrants for consumer spending (and to continue pumping housing).
So, you suggest it's kinds financial pyramid ?!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
We really don't have much industry in Canada. We mainly have energy sector which has been weak for a long time, and residential real estate which doesn't produce anything of value. So our GDP is mainly dependent on flipping million dollar houses and bringing in more immigrants for consumer spending (and to continue pumping housing).
I remember hearing about this. Real estate agent commissions, legal fees and land transfer taxes make up almost 2% of GDP. While it’s relatively small, it’s a big number considering how little work agents have been doing the last few years. Houses generally sell themselves. I don’t need a agent to find me xx house, with xx bedrooms, near good schools etc etc. The only value I see they offer is taking away the pain of negotiation and sign backs. I’m surprised the alternative disrupters haven’t taken over this industry.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Trudeau's anti business (excepting Quebec) policies has our GDP going backwards...its like they don't know where tax money comes from.

We need to encourage more mining, forestry, energy, agriculture and infra structure business rather than the enviro posing we are currently doing. We need 10 more Site C dams and much more nuclear.These are the things that raise our standard of living.

We've lost our way...someone needs to step up & take charge.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Trudeau's anti business (excepting Quebec) policies has our GDP going backwards...its like they don't know where tax money comes from.

We need to encourage more mining, forestry, energy, agriculture and infra structure business rather than the enviro posing we are currently doing. We need 10 more Site C dams and much more nuclear.These are the things that raise our standard of living.

We've lost our way...someone needs to step up & take charge.
Exactly! Esp I agree with last statement "We've lost our way...someone needs to step up & take charge" ...
We also need IT ... Have you ever seen TSX IT index?! It's a joke! We got only 10 IT companies and 4 of them take 75% of the index LOL ... It would be OK for countries like Mongolia , but would be bad even for Kazakhstan :)... and we're talking about G7 country LOL...
"We really don't have much industry in Canada " , But probably we're number 1 in carbon taxes :) .

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
We need to encourage more mining, forestry, energy,
Too bad Harper killed a lot of these industries during his tenure. When Harper first became the PM, the energy sector was roaring. The Liberals handed it to him in great shape. The Liberals (Chretien then Paul Martin) oversaw the greatest bullish expansion in oil & gas in a generation!

Then came Harper. Over the years he was in power (see chart below), Harper and the Conservatives absolutely destroyed the energy sector.

It's absolutely TERRIBLE what Harper & the Cons did to the once thriving oil & gas sector. Albertans should be steaming mad over what the Conservatives did.

And then the Conservatives have the balls to try brainwashing their voter base by claiming the Liberals did this, even though Harper was in power through the whole wipeout! Do they think their voters are stupid or something?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Too bad Harper killed a lot of these industries during his tenure. When Harper first became the PM, the energy sector was roaring. The Liberals handed it to him in great shape. The Liberals (Chretien then Paul Martin) oversaw the greatest bullish expansion in oil & gas in a generation!

Then came Harper. Over the years he was in power (see chart below), Harper and the Conservatives absolutely destroyed the energy sector.

It's absolutely TERRIBLE what Harper & the Cons did to the once thriving oil & gas sector. Albertans should be steaming mad over what the Conservatives did.

And then the Conservatives have the balls to try brainwashing their voter base by claiming the Liberals did this, even though Harper was in power through the whole wipeout! Do they think their voters are stupid or something?

View attachment 21328
"Trudeau's children" put everything upside down LOL... it's Trudeau who killed energy and AB when 50% of Albertans want to separate from Trudeau Canada ....
Just curious how long Liberals gonna blame everything on Harper.....reminds me Communists who for decades blamed everything on Tsar :ROFLMAO: .
And what the point to post XEG chart, just look at GDP numbers!

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
And what the point to post XEG chart, just look at GDP numbers!
Because the prices don't lie, unlike the Conservatives and their made up stories. You can see the reality here in the prices... the energy sector declined while Harper was in power. He had nearly 10 years to do whatever he wanted.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Because the prices don't lie, unlike the Conservatives and their made up stories. You can see the reality here in the prices... the energy sector declined while Harper was in power. He had nearly 10 years to do whatever he wanted.
Sorry, but stock prices aren't relevant....GDP numbers are....
You cannot blame US government that NASDAQ crushed several times in last 25 years...
You also cannot blame government if OPEC fighting with Russia

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
The energy sector didn't decline

View attachment 21328
You realize that Harper doesn't actually set the price of oil.

I'd actually suggest that the energy sector did quite well, despite the declining price of oil.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Conservatives can try to change the narrative on Harper's government, but facts don't lie.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
You realize that Harper doesn't actually set the price of oil
You seem to have a short memory, but as soon as Trudeau was elected, the Conservative propaganda machine (I think you know them well) started blaming Trudeau for the industrial slowdown in Alberta.

Not once did Conservatives say, yeah well this is a global energy slowdown which affects all multinationals in all countries. It's not a Canada-specific thing and it clearly isn't Trudeau causing the decline in the oil patch. And although we love Americans, they are directly competing with us and driving us out of business.

Instead, the Conservatives, Alberta politicians, and the oil & gas corporate lobbyists blamed Trudeau for the business environment.

You can't give Harper a pass and simultaneously try to stick Trudeau with the bad results. This is the kind of ridiculous propaganda the right wing has been putting out ever since Trudeau got into office. It works on people, and this is how Conservatives manipulated Albertans.

Going forward, every time someone on this board blames Trudeau for the oil & gas sector, I will post that chart again and remind you how Harper destroyed Alberta.

PS, what are you going to do if the energy sector rebounds and enters a new bull market under Trudeau? Let me guess... he's only responsible on the way down, right? :)

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
It's not a Canada-specific thing and it clearly isn't Trudeau causing the decline in the oil patch.

Instead, the Conservatives, Alberta politicians, and the oil & gas corporate lobbyists blamed Trudeau for the business environment.
I don't credit or blame politicians for things outside their control.

Trudeau has explicitly stated he wants to phase out the oil sands, and has worked to stop and slow the development of O&G industry. The results from that are his fault.
The lower prices of oil are not his fault.
But to pretend that his anti-oil stance isn't a negative is dishonest. When you say you want to "phase out" an entire industry, that sure as hell has an impact on the "business environment".

I don't blame Trudeau for pipeline cancellations under Biden, that wasn't his fault.

I don't blame Trudeau for COVID related slowdowns, again a lot of that are trade offs.
I wont' credit Trudeau for the post COVID recovery either.

However when there is a specific policy position that a politician takes, that's when I give them credit or blame.

I understand you see everything through a partisan lens, but really normal people don't see the world that way.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
I understand you see everything through a partisan lens, but really normal people don't see the world that way.
I understand that you see everything through a partisan lens. Normally people don't do this.

But I understand this is your style.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
I hate politician of all stripes. But we've had 5 year and 111 days of Trudeau who incapable to telling the truth.
Why do you "hate" politicians?

It may not be healthy to hate the people who you elect to represent you. In a democracy, we (collectively) elect our representatives.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I wouldn't describe a transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy an anti-oil stance.

The prudent option is use remaining dollars from fossil fuels to pay for the next energy revolution.

The Trudeau government saved a pipeline that private business wasn't interested in.

Private business didn't believe the pipeline would be viable long enough to return their capital costs.

I doubt the government will become involved in such projects in the future.

P.S. Except maybe Jason Kenney pissing away $1.5 billion Alberta tax dollars on a dead pipeline.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Why weren't the Harper Conservatives tougher on America, while the US directly competed with and absolutely destroyed the Alberta economy?

@MrMatt come on, this is your job isn't it? Stand up for the Conservatives. Tell us why they didn't protect Alberta from the American competitors.

The Conservatives (extreme crooks by the way) were getting tons of money from the oil and gas industry. They basically worked for O&G and wrote policies they were told to. So what did Albertans get for that? Sure they gave tax cuts to the wealthiest Albertans, the O&G executives, but those aren't average Albertans.

What did the Conservatives do for the average Albertan?

Did the Conservatives put any public money to buy any failing projects?

When Harper cracked down hard on environmentalists and kept promoting the "oil sands", did this help Alberta's product and the image in global markets? Do you think Albertans benefited from Harper's old fashioned, out-of-date promotion of oil sands to the rest of the world?

When America and the rest of the world was looking at emission regulations, and Harper refused to... do you think the Conservatives were helping Alberta's future?

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
James........Harper is still puling the strings in Alberta and helped lead Kenney to the edge of the political cliff. It appears that Harper is chock full of bad advice.

If a vote was held today, NDP's Rachel Notely would decimate the UCP party.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
James........Harper is still puling the strings in Alberta and helped lead Kenney to the edge of the political cliff.
Disgusting. Haven't Albertans had enough of these Conservatives yet?

Destroyed their economy... destroyed their pensions and rainy day fund... failed to protect the environment... refuse to charge O&G royalties... just handing over all the resources and money to big corporations.

Contrast to a place like Norway, which did the right thing and nationalized energy companies. They kept a lot of the O&G profits for the people, had better environmental protections and didn't just let big companies and wealthy foreigners run away with their money.

When will Albertans wake up that the Conservatives/UCP are the worst thing that ever happened to them?

161 - 180 of 203 Posts