Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
If the opposition supports the budget there will be no need for an election.

After all, it is the opposition who are demanding a budget during a pandemic.

There have been Provincial elections so it can be done safely.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I don't want to see Trump again, Biden is a decent placeholder. But my comment was about our ftard PM in Canada. It is unconscionable to force restaurants and stores etc to go bankrupt in an effort to flatten the curve but no qualms about calling a snap election where we can trade Covid variants.

I guess like BLM riots, random elections is safe for all right? Must be Horgans cousin.

·
Registered
19,619 Posts
There's only going to be an election if opposition parties force it to happen.

Even in cabada we cannot vote by mail...Are you sure that voters voted by mail and not their relatives or friends or postal workers?!
It's possible to vote by mail. So good news @Eder even if there is an election, you won't have to put yourself in harm's way.

Problem solved!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I don't want to see Trump again, Biden is a decent placeholder. But my comment was about our ftard PM in Canada. It is unconscionable to force restaurants and stores etc to go bankrupt in an effort to flatten the curve but no qualms about calling a snap election where we can trade Covid variants.

I guess like BLM riots, random elections is safe for all right? Must be Horgans cousin.
I don’t think Trudeau is responsible for restaurant closures. Seems to be a provincial matter.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
It's possible to vote by mail. So good news @Eder even if there is an election, you won't have to put yourself in harm's way.

Problem solved!

I personally don't like this idea at all... and if voting by mail is allowed, why not to do elections on line , for example from CRA website .... imho, it would be less frauds than by mail

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I personally don't like this idea at all... and if voting by mail is allowed, why not to do elections on line , for example from CRA website .... imho, it would be less frauds than by mail
I don't think we should allow vote by mail either.

What's to stop someone from logging in as you and voting for you?
Or someone forcing you to log in and vote the way they want.

If it isn't a secret ballot, there is the threat of intimidation

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
Sure....people would risk going to prison for 20 years to kidnap people and force them to go online to cast one vote for a specific MP.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Sure....people would risk going to prison for 20 years to kidnap people and force them to go online to cast one vote for a specific MP.
Have you ever heard "In this house we vote X", I can imagine "vote parties" where everyone votes together, and if you don't participate, the group will ostracize you.
Care to explain how you'd protect against that.

I'm sorry, secret ballot is essential for a healthy democracy.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I don't think we should allow vote by mail either.

What's to stop someone from logging in as you and voting for you?
Or someone forcing you to log in and vote the way they want.

If it isn't a secret ballot, there is the threat of intimidation
"What's to stop someone from logging in as you " into your bank account or CRA website?!
My point was that voting by mail is much worse than online...
btw, some countries are voting online

btw, do you really think that fraud cannot happen when no online voting is allowed?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
"What's to stop someone from logging in as you " into your bank account or CRA website?!
My point was that voting by mail is much worse than online...
btw, some countries are voting online

btw, do you really think that fraud cannot happen when no online voting is allowed?
Of course not.
However I think that since it is impossible to have a secure free vote online, I don't think we should implement it.

I think it's important to note that from your article, it looks like it's pretty much unanimous that online voting is a bad idea.
"Committee reports and analysis from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia have all recommended against provincial Internet voting. A federal committee has recommended against national Internet voting."

Really the incentive for online voting is that the left leaning politicians think they'll pick up more of the left leaning youth vote.
Jagmeet Signh isn't making tiktok videos with rappers because he wants the retiree vote.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I don't tell that online voting is a great idea, but on other hand , voting by mail is even worse!
however, I think that municipal elections can be done online, in last Mississauga elections only 27 per cent of registered voters voted.... !

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I don't tell that online voting is a great idea, but on other hand , voting by mail is even worse!
however, I think that municipal elections can be done online, in last Mississauga elections only 27 per cent of registered voters voted.... !
Why?
i want my municipal government to be elected. Really they have the most control over my day to day life.

The debate isn't is voting by mail or online worse, it's if adding a new less secure voting option is a good idea.

Secondly, why is voter turnout important?
Really, you have weeks to show up and vote, the lines are almost always short and reasonable.

If you can't be bothered to take 30 minutes every few years, you likely aren't too thoughtful or concerned on the issues, and we're better off without your vote.
I'd rather have an informed and motivated 27% choose the government, than the 73% that can't be bothered, and is likely influenced by some silly slogan or shortsighted election promise.

I can accept that voter turnout is a proxy for citizen engagement, but if you change the way that voting happens, it doesn't change actual engagement, only the measure.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Why?

Really, you have weeks to show up and vote, the lines are almost always short and reasonable.

If you can't be bothered to take 30 minutes every few years, you likely aren't too thoughtful or concerned on the issues, and we're better off without your vote.
I'd rather have an informed and motivated 27% choose the government, than the 73% that can't be bothered, and is likely influenced by some silly slogan or shortsighted election promise.
You took the words right out of my mind. Get up, go to the polling station, prove who you are, and check a box. At least we know who you are and that you care enough to give that small effort. There are enough idiots voting as it is, we don't need more who care even less. I've always jokingly supported the idea of having to pass a test before voting.

ltr

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You took the words right out of my mind. Get up, go to the polling station, prove who you are, and check a box. At least we know who you are and that you care enough to give that small effort. There are enough idiots voting as it is, we don't need more who care even less. I've always jokingly supported the idea of having to pass a test before voting.

ltr
I would support a test, however I don't trust anyone to write a fair test.

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
... What's to stop someone from logging in as you and voting for you?
Hard to say without details but presumably the same methods that find people who try to vote twice could be built into the implementation.

'Course I vote in all elections so if it's someone who doesn't then there may be more room for fraud.

... Or someone forcing you to log in and vote the way they want.
Not sure how many would put up with that.

... Have you ever heard "In this house we vote X" ...
Never heard it in my family or friends talking about their kids getting read to vote for the first time etc. How often does it happen in Canada?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Why not use the ProxyVote system? Seems to work for corporations
Because it isn't a secret ballot.

Many workplaces are openly hostile to opposing politics, if you are seen supporting the wrong party, they'll discriminate against you.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Just looked at Historical GDP numbers,
GDP, Per Capita GDP - US Dollars

Last 10 years Canadian Per Capita GDP is down almost 2%, for comparison, in US up 34% and Israel up 45%.
The highest number Canada was in 2012/2013 during last Harper years....since then it dropped (thanks to JT) 11%!

Canada2010US$47,361
Canada2011US$51,907
Canada2012US$52,365
Canada2013US$52,334
Canada2014US$50,570
Canada2015US$43,194
Canada2016US$42,004
Canada2017US$44,907
Canada2018US$46,444
Canada2019US$46,550

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
We really don't have much industry in Canada. We mainly have energy sector which has been weak for a long time, and residential real estate which doesn't produce anything of value. So our GDP is mainly dependent on flipping million dollar houses and bringing in more immigrants for consumer spending (and to continue pumping housing).

141 - 160 of 189 Posts