Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
14,279 Posts
The Liberals announce an additional $15 billion in public transit infrastructure spending.

They will spend $6 billion starting this year and $3 billion a year annually on improving public transit.

The city mayors are praising the Trudeau government announcement.

The Liberals are setting up a budget platform in anticipation of an election soon.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
The Liberals announce an additional $15 billion in public transit infrastructure spending.

They will spend $6 billion starting this year and $3 billion a year annually on improving public transit.

The Liberals are setting up a budget platform in anticipation of an election soon.

And who gonna pay for it?! I bet not you or your son

Liberals already spent so much money on public transit and still ... our public transit is a joke comparing to Europe or other normal counties..
Have you even been to Europe?! Can you compare Toronto retarded public transport, esp subway, GO transit or via rail to even reatively poor European countries like Czech republic .... I;m not even talking about Spain , France or Germany.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts

Fantastic news. You'd have to be an awfully cranky person, or some kind of crackpot, to find fault with a government delivering on something that every mayor in the country has been asking for.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Fantastic news. You'd have to be an awfully cranky person, or some kind of crackpot, to find fault with a government delivering on something that every mayor in the country has been asking for.
The $3 billion a year is from 2026. That's two elections away. They might as well promise unicorns.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Whenever I hear transport investment, I think of Trudeau giving more money to SNC/BBD without delivering much. I am hoping the voters in Ontario will punish Trudope for his many missteps, including his massive vaccine screwup. And his continual misjudgement of China. If they cannot see that with the help of the opposition, then we have no hope for rational spending anytime soo.

Secret budgets, secret deals, silent finance minister.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Pierre Poilievere was shuffled out of the finance critic job.

I don't think his "throw open the economy and hope for the best" theory was helping the Conservative's credibility factor.

Good move by O'Toole.
In reality, Poilievre is recognized by O'Toole as such a vicious watchdog, that he decided that he could better serve as the party's critic for Jobs and Industry. This is in response to the pandemic as O'Toole pushes for a stronger focus on jobs and on rebuilding the economy that Trudeau has laid to ruin as he's been paying more attention to his green agenda and printing money than getting people back to work.

ltr

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
In reality, Poilievre is recognized by O'Toole as such a vicious watchdog, that he decided that he could better serve as the party's critic for Jobs and Industry. This is in response to the pandemic as O'Toole pushes for a stronger focus on jobs and on rebuilding the economy that Trudeau has laid to ruin as he's been paying more attention to his green agenda and printing money than getting people back to work.

ltr
We'll see, I think Pierre is an outstanding political showman. I really hope they put him to good use.

·
Registered
14,279 Posts
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be happy she no longer has to listen to Poilievere.

He will be addressing his counter part in the Liberal Party......who is...... ?

After Trudeau announced the public transit spending, Andrew Scheer popped up as the Conservative critic for Infrastructure or whatever......who knew ?

These are low profile jobs even for the government.......let alone the opposition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

i think you are right. Seems like more and more the language from all leaders is that they anticipating an election to becoming up. My money is in June

·
Registered
14,279 Posts
The government received a lot of input from various groups on the upcoming budget.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has been getting advice from all sides — the 145 recommendations from the Commons finance committee, the solid endorsement Canada received this week from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the input she's been getting during her own pre-budget consultations.

It looks like the prevailing wisdom is to continue to support the economy and spend to ensure the economy is on a solid footing after the pandemic has passed.

"I think we've got no choice but to spend and to basically target the spending into areas that's going to certainly make a difference in terms of growth of the economy," says Wayne Easter, the Liberal MP who chairs the committee.

"I think that's essential."

NDP finance critic Peter Julian agrees that Freeland needs to use this budget, the first in two years, to help Canadians laid flat by the pandemic.

"Canadians are struggling to make ends meet. Small businesses are closing. Families are trying to find the wherewithal to put food on the table, keep a roof over their head," Julian said. "And so the issue is, not whether to invest or not. The issue is how do we do that?"

On Friday, PM Trudeau announced extensions for the CRB support programs.

This followed a previous announcement of long term spending on public transit.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
The government received a lot of input from various groups on the upcoming budget.
This is something the Trudeau government has done very well. It has never been a heavy-handed government, but rather one which seeks input from others (plus different voices in their own party) before making decisions.

This is in stark contrast to for example Harper, who took an authoritarian style to government (very top down), shut down other voices and didn't even let people in his own party speak. Also on the opposite end of the spectrum would be Trump and the Republicans. If they aren't in power and dictating policy, then they are obstructing the operation of government. It's either their way, or they will STOP government from doing anything.

What Trudeau & team are doing is how government is supposed to work.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
but rather one which seeks input from others (plus different voices in their own party) before making decisions.
maybe seeks input, but then do whatever he wants and fire who doesn't agree with him... typical dictator

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
What kind of ftard would call an election while his government thinks we're going to 20k Covid cases/day. I guess he'll make voters pay 2k & spend 3 days in a roach motel after voting as well?

Win at all costs who cares if old voters die right?

He should step down.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
What kind of ftard would call an election while his government thinks we're going to 20k Covid cases/day.
Imagine the ftard down south, King Trump, who sabotaged voting by mail to manipulate the election in his favour, forcing elderly Americans to drag themselves to the voting booth.

A true scumbag! Also got hundreds of thousands of Americans killed, unnecessarily. Hope Trump never comes back

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Imagine the ftard down south, King Trump, who sabotaged voting by mail to manipulate the election in his favour, forcing elderly Americans to drag themselves to the voting booth.

A true scumbag! Also got hundreds of thousands of Americans killed, unnecessarily. Hope Trump never comes back
Voting by mail shouldn't be allowed! Even in cabada we cannot vote by mail...Are you sure that voters voted by mail and not their relatives or friends or postal workers?!
I'd never trust racist and anti-semitic The Canadian Union of Postal Workers
I hope Trump wins next election, as Americans will be disappointed by Biden very soon

121 - 140 of 204 Posts