Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While an election could technically be called at any time with a minority government, what does everyone think the actual probability of one occurring this 2021 calendar year? Im reading trudeau is thinking of having one...

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
While an election could technically be called at any time with a minority government, what does everyone think the actual probability of one occurring this 2021 calendar year? Im reading trudeau is thinking of having one...
Some people are happy with how he's handling the pandemic.

Though to be honest, the things that he's in charge of are a disaster.
vaccine shortages, and a failure to close the border.
I'd bet he's calling an election soon, because someone realized not closing the borders was a PR failure.

The tough decisions are stuck at the premiers.

The problem is that he's trying to time it when his popularity is a bit higher, but he seems to waddle from one failure to the next. I think he'll likely get another minority, anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people are happy with how he's handling the pandemic.

Though to be honest, the things that he's in charge of are a disaster.
vaccine shortages, and a failure to close the border.
I'd bet he's calling an election soon, because someone realized not closing the borders was a PR failure.

The tough decisions are stuck at the premiers.

The problem is that he's trying to time it when his popularity is a bit higher, but he seems to waddle from one failure to the next. I think he'll likely get another minority, anyway.
I agree with everything you say. But i mean why call an election when most people would not want to do one during a pandemic. Would be the lowest voter turn out in history. I imagine most wouldnt want to bother with one.
What usually happens to all existing bills that are being read. Do they get scrapped?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My guess would be towards the end of October IF the vaccine rollout goes well. I would think that the Liberals do not want to give OToole time to define himself.

Mind you, anything can happen between now and then.

I am not impressed with Trudeau. But I even have less confidence in O'Toole et al- especially since he took so long to move on Derek Sloan.

I believe that O'Toole is desperately in need of a new set of political advisors-and fast.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I agree with everything you say. But i mean why call an election when most people would not want to do one during a pandemic. Would be the lowest voter turn out in history. I imagine most wouldnt want to bother with one.
What usually happens to all existing bills that are being read. Do they get scrapped?
Yes, they all get killed.
The vaccine rollout is a disaster, but maybe people will feel better later.

As far as O'Toole, what would you expect him to do, unilaterally throw Derek Sloan out?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I suppose if Trudeau continues to F/U the vaccine rollout, all the older conservative voters will be dead so he will promise UBI to get the young voters out and he will win again./S

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
The Liberals would prefer to table a budget, and have it defeated and then call an election with the budget as an election plank.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
I don't see how the Liberals "messed up" the vaccine rollout as that is a Provincial responsibility, and the Premiers told Ottawa to "stay out" of their business.

Acquiring the vaccines is a Federal matter, but all the countries in the world are chasing vaccines. Canada is not unique in that regard.

I think the Conservatives will have to do far better than hoping Canadians cast an anti-Trudeau vote.

They need to develop some policies that Canadians would support, if they hope to win.

So far, I haven't heard any from the defacto leader Pierre Poilivere, who is on television and Youtube all the time.

Where is Erin O'Toole ?

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Canada has a high global ranking for COVID-19 handling and resiliency, according to a Bloomberg survey which evaluates many metrics.

We're doing reasonably well in the pandemic. I think the government has done a good job overall under these circumstances. The last thing we need is a Conservative party to slash government services and start giving tax cuts to the rich... this is exactly how the US developed a large wealth gap and ended up with poor society safety nets (which is now destroying their society).

We also have to remember that today's Conservative party is really Reform/Alliance, which admires the US Republicans. These days, Harper is producing videos for the American right wing media and the party even ran a secret American in the last election! Did that guy ever renounce his US citizenship, by the way?

·
Registered
10,551 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Historically, minority governments in Canada tend to last about 2 years. The odds of an election in the next 12 months are very high.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
One significant challenge for the Conservatives will be talent. O’Toole does not currently have much bench strength.

He will more than likely have a difficult time attracting star candidates. People who would be recognized as good Cabinet material. Especially in the vote rich urban areas of Montreal, Toronto 416/905, and Vancouver.

Scheer's tenure, IMHO, did a lot of damage to the Conservative party. It may take some time to repair this ongoing damage. In the meantime O'Toole will have to decide who is target market is. Is he going to push policies that are aimed at placating the 25 percent of Conservative Party members who are social conservatives or is he going to present policies that attract votes-specifically the votes in urban areas, in the Maritimes, and in Quebec.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I don't see how the Liberals "messed up" the vaccine rollout as that is a Provincial responsibility, and the Premiers told Ottawa to "stay out" of their business.

Acquiring the vaccines is a Federal matter, but all the countries in the world are chasing vaccines. Canada is not unique in that regard.

I think the Conservatives will have to do far better than hoping Canadians cast an anti-Trudeau vote.

They need to develop some policies that Canadians would support, if they hope to win.

So far, I haven't heard any from the defacto leader Pierre Poilivere, who is on television and Youtube all the time.

Where is Erin O'Toole ?
It is the job of the federal government to secure the vaccine supply.

It is the job of the province to administer it.

The problem is with our poor vaccine supply, and Trudeau misleading Canadians that we have a stable supply.
He was saying he was confident hours before it got cut off.

I agree, the CPC has to do better than anti-Trudeau. Logically that should be enough, but quite honestly people aren't as furious as they should be.
Look how close the US election was, and the argument for an anti-Trump vote was even stronger there.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
The f
The problem is with our poor vaccine supply, and Trudeau misleading Canadians that we have a stable supply.
He was saying he was confident hours before it got cut off.
Funny part that Trudeau "secured" 303M (or so) vaccines - number 1 in the World, also Canada spent on Covid more money per capita than any other country in the World! So, where are vaccines?!
Why Israel gets Moredna's vaccines 1.5 month before schedules (mid-January instead of end of February ) and supply to Canada is cut?! Same story with PFE vaccine..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah, I don't quite understand how we botched this so badly. I understand the supply disruption, but other countries were able to strike better deals and get more vaccines more quickly. I'm not blaming Trudeau per se, but someone dropped the ball somewhere.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Maybe bribes paid to the vaccine companies. Maybe threats of market disruptions for their drugs in some countries. Maybe threats of Congressional investigations .......questions should be directed to the vaccine makers about what is going on.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
What bribes?! Those are private companies and selling their vaccines to countries who pays more ... do you think they will supply to Canada because Trudeau has a nice hair?!

·
Registered
463 Posts
What bribes?! Those are private companies and selling their vaccines to countries who pays more ... do you think they will supply to Canada because Trudeau has a nice hair?!
Those private companies sell a whole lot more than vaccines, for a whole lot more money. At various prices in different countries. No doubt they also benefit from government programs in some places. It's likely not as simple as "vaccine goes to those who pay more for it".

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Those private companies sell a whole lot more than vaccines, for a whole lot more money. At various prices in different countries. No doubt they also benefit from government programs in some places. It's likely not as simple as "vaccine goes to those who pay more for it".
Whatever you say....but in your opinion us Trudeau government performed well in supplying vaccines to Canada esp comparing to Israel?

1 - 20 of 248 Posts