Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Because for some reason, I've received a notification from this forum, about a new posting made this week. Maybe due to a glitch in the platform?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I'm convinced that printers have a timer function as well as a simple actually out of ink function. I don't use my printer very much at all and yet I end up with an 'out of ink' at some point in time. It's like oil changes for your car, 'every 8k km or every 4 months, whichever comes first.

I believe I don't actually run out of ink, the printer has a timer function that says, the cartridge has been in for X months, send an 'out of ink' message and stop printing until a new cartridge is put in.

Anyone else believe they do this?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm convinced that printers have a timer function as well as a simple actually out of ink function. I don't use my printer very much at all and yet I end up with an 'out of ink' at some point in time. It's like oil changes for your car, 'every 8k km or every 4 months, whichever comes first.
The thing is, inkjet cartridges do dry out over time. So even if you don't use them, unless you remove and store them sealed up, they'll dry out.

Laser printers don't really suffer this problem as much. The article talks about a Brother printer where he covered the sensor to allow it to print. But in my personal experience (HP laser printers), I run the toner to the ground without issue, i.e. I never get a message about pre-mature empty toner. The printout is visibly worse when I get a warning low-toner level light. Doesn't prevent me from printing though. That said, you can take the toner cartridge out and shake it a bit to resettle some of the toner to extend a bit more printing. But eventually it'll need to be replaced.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
This is true. Inkjet will dry or clog up over time, so inkjet printers have to be used regularly. You can't really store it away and not use it for a few months.

Laser printers don't have that problem. I had an old, cheap laser printer that I packed up into a box about 6 years ago and I kind of forgot about it. Recently, when moving, I unpacked the box and hooked it up... it pretty much works perfectly. The toner certainly did not degrade or dry up, even after 6 years on a shelf!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have a Brother laser and it definitely uses a timer rather than some sort of ink sensor to tell you when your cartridge is empty. Luckily, by googling you can find a sequence of buttons to press that resets the timer. I am now over 6 months since my printer told me it was out of ink, and have not yet noticed a deterioration in quality. I know from last time this happened that eventually, it will start to deteriorate, and I will suffer with it until it becomes too hard to read, at which point I will actually replace the toner.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts