Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out if I should phone the bank and report this credit card transaction.

More than a year ago, I rented a car in Hawaii. The amount was paid at the end of the rental, and charged to my credit card as usual. There was no damage or any extra charges.

A couple days ago I saw a $14.00 credit (refund) posted to the same credit card, with the name of the same rental car agency. I phoned the agency yesterday and a guy said he'd look into it. I phoned again today, but no answer. They aren't completely open due to COVID-19.

Should I inform the bank of a problem, since it's an unexplained transaction? Or since the transaction has the name of the rental car agency I know, is it probably ok to leave alone?

Major rental car chains have repeatedly had run-ins with the legal system due to misleading/excessive charges. This refund could, potentially, be some amount that was required to be refunded to customers due to legislation, lawsuit, or even one of their internal audits.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Personally, I’d wait and see what the retailer says. More out of curiosity. Either way, I wouldn’t worry about it. Continue to Review your statements for erroneous charges as I’m sure you always do.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I’d wait and see what the retailer says. More out of curiosity. Either way, I wouldn’t worry about it. Continue to Review your statements for erroneous charges as I’m sure you always do.
Thanks. Yes I'm very curious as well.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Did you pre-authorize when you picked up the car and settled after? Did you check what your final receipt and what the final amount should be? Maybe they had pre-charged for some service like cleaning in case you smoke, but it wasn't required, so they refunded? It could be any number of reasons. I wouldn't think that it would be fraud, but I guess you can wait and see.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news... Enterprise in Hawaii got back to me today. They said I had been over-charged for daily rental taxes & fees, so the $14 USD refund was a correction for a $2 mistake per day x 7 days.

The "mistake" was not obvious at the time, and the final charge back then matched the quote as well. But yes, I'll happily take the money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts