Canadian Money Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts
Discussion starter · #141 ·
Just a warning - if you are using Excel 2010 please wait with update to Windows 10. At this point you cannot use Excel 2010 with PowerPivot on Windows 10 as there are known issues (PowerPivot will crash) - hopefully Microsoft will provide a fix soon. Because of that you cannot use Portfolio Slicer with Excel 2010 on Windows 10.
Happy Win7 and Office2013 user here :)

The only recent bug i observed is that the USD/CAD range for 2015-07-31 is not present, it just straight from 2015-07-30 to 2015-08-03.

New verion of PortfolioSlicer

I just noticed a new version of PortfolioSlicer! I don't have time to ugrade now, but posting in case anyone wants to have a look at it.

http://www.portfolioslicer.com/news.html
2016-03-18 Portfolio Slicer version 2.0.0 Released

This release removes Portfolio Slicer dependency on cloud data. From this point Portfolio Slicer becomes Excel workbook that uses data from within workbook and also some data from external files from your PC. Portfolio Slicer does not provide data for these external data files. These files can be created by multiple data services (if you have subscription) or there are already free scripts published by Portfolio Slicer users that will get data from websites in the format that is required by Portfolio Slicer.

This release also includes few minor fixes in data model calculations.

http://www.portfolioslicer.com/mydata.html
Older version of Portfolio Slicer required data about your investments to be entered into web workbook. From this page you can still access old website of Portfolio Slicer where you can still work with your old version of web workbook.

To access your old version of web workbook please visit here.

Please note that old version of Portfolio Slicer will be supported until June 30th, 2016. After that any access to web workbook or any other online/cloud data will be removed. Please migrate to new version of Portfolio Slicer before this deadline.

Just a clarification - there are already scripts released by other Portfolio Slicer users that will get all data you need to run Portfolio Slicer.
Upgrade process from older version should be fairly simple - you will find most of the data and even configuration file provided to you in extract. There is video available on how to migrate: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/docs/upgrade.html
I had many requests to remove PS dependency on cloud data. I guess people were afraid that after they will put effort in setting up Portfolio Slicer, they might get hit with monthly/yearly fees. Now you just get workbook and scripts and use it any way you like - no limitations.

Discussion starter · #146 · (Edited)
Hi vidm, great news regarding version 2.0 !

Quick question for you, i used to own a few mutual fund a year back. Since they were sold many years ago and that i dont hold them anymore. Do i need to add them as source in the new v2.00 ?

edit: i am having trouble following the ~20 steps migration path, receiving error:

We couldn't get data from the Data Model. Here's the error message we got:

The AttributeRelationship with AttributeID =- Symbol doesnt exist in the collection

Hi vidm, great news regarding version 2.0 !

Quick question for you, i used to own a few mutual fund a year back. Since they were sold many years ago and that i dont hold them anymore. Do i need to add them as source in the new v2.00 ?

edit: i am having trouble following the ~20 steps migration path, receiving error:

We couldn't get data from the Data Model. Here's the error message we got:

The AttributeRelationship with AttributeID =- Symbol doesnt exist in the collection
Old mutual funds - you do not need to add them into configuration file, but you should list them in symbol table and for proper history you need to have quotes for them. These mutual funds quotes file should be in "Quotes" folder in any subfolder, for example I created myself "Manual" subfolder were I add quotes for these symbols that are not traded anymore.

For problem you have:
1. Make sure that Trans table has no "Red" cells, specifically check Symbol name - it sounds to me that you have some missing symbols, but I am not 100%.
2. Leave just 2-3 transactions in Trans table, delete all other records and try to refresh

Discussion starter · #149 ·
Old mutual funds - you do not need to add them into configuration file, but you should list them in symbol table and for proper history you need to have quotes for them. These mutual funds quotes file should be in "Quotes" folder in any subfolder, for example I created myself "Manual" subfolder were I add quotes for these symbols that are not traded anymore.

For problem you have:
1. Make sure that Trans table has no "Red" cells, specifically check Symbol name - it sounds to me that you have some missing symbols, but I am not 100%.
2. Leave just 2-3 transactions in Trans table, delete all other records and try to refresh
I just re-verified, there no red anywhere.
I also deleted all transaction except 2-3

same error :(

I just re-verified, there no red anywhere.
I also deleted all transaction except 2-3

same error :(
Based on other people experience reported so far, most likely reason for failure:

1. Make sure that first record in table Symbol with "* Cash" was not replaced/deleted.

If that is not the case, then other things to check - please very carefully review table Symbol and SymbolSector:

2. Symbol[Currency] (table Symbol, column Currency) should have values in report currency list or "Cash".
3. Symbol[MER] values should be decimal number and not character. Make column wider and confirm that all values align left.
4. Symbol[WHTPercent] - put all values (except first row) as 0.
5. SymbolSector[Percent] - make sure all values are numbers.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

Paging @vidm

I heard that Yahoo Finance API was recently shut down? Does this affect the latest version? The only thing I use Office for anymore is PortfolioSlicer and I don't really want to buy it for my new PC if PortfolioSlicer won't work..

Download v2.3.1 (2017-Sep-18): External data Download and Management script set (for majority of users). Latest update brings back support for extracting Quotes/Dividends from Yahoo Finance website and adds ability to get currency exchange rates from European Central Bank. Also added new source for quotes: AlphaVintage and Stooq.

Paging @vidm

I heard that Yahoo Finance API was recently shut down? Does this affect the latest version? The only thing I use Office for anymore is PortfolioSlicer and I don't really want to buy it for my new PC if PortfolioSlicer won't work..
- Yahoo Finance API for Historical Data was changed (not shut down) few months ago, but updated PS Scripts (available for download now) work with updated versions.
- Yahoo Finance API for IntraDay data was shut down very recently, but updated scripts that support intraday quote extract using different method should be available on Portfolio Website very soon
- On PortfolioSlicer website there scripts now available that allow you to get quotes from Stooq and AlphaVantage websites
- Currency exchange rates are now available from Stooq and European Central Bank.

So PortfolioSlicer works with even more options for quotes and currency exchange data.

...To enter all these transactions is not an easy task....
Not true IMO.
I have no idea what a person would do with all the 'fluff' contained in portfolio slicer. Do all the tables, graphs, pie charts, coloured highlights really lead to better portfolio management and decisions? ISTM if you have a simple and/or long term portfolio you don't need it, and if you are an active trader it doesn't cut it either. To each their own however.

vidm provides this for free by the way

Yes I find asset allocation, currency impact and dividend stats useful to benchmark a long term portfolio of individual holdings. The portfolioslicer reports seem more accurate and intuitive to me than Quicken or any brokerage dashboard I've tried. Brokerage reports are so inaccurate I'm surprised everyone just shrugs it off like typical Canadians always do. Quicken is a lost cause.

Sure you can make your own but this one has been fine tuned already

i didn't check all the pages here. but not sure if anyone use: RCH_Stock_Market_Functions
it can pull stock quotes and details from yahoo into excel automatically. it still works for me as of march 25 2018. it is very useful.
url is:
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smf_addin/info

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.