Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is nice but I don't like that it seems to require the central server for the core data. Fine that it's free and around, but are you only planning to track investments this year? I'm wondering and worried about 5-20 years down the road!
Central server is only to pull stock quotes, but yes your concern is valid.

Too bad Excel stock quote integration is piss poor.

Google spreadsheet googlefinance() function is magical !

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vidm, i didnt know you posted on this forum :)

Could you explain how a "Norbert Gambit" transaction should be handled with Portfolio Slicer ? I have a hard time figuring how to enter the pair of transactions without breaking everything !

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Larry,

I added FAQ entry on how to enter Norbert's Gambit transactions into Portfolio Slicer: http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert
If you have any problems - please do not hesitate to ask!
Not sure i understand, i have both a US and a Canadian account, isnt something that should be configured in Portfolio Slicer ? Can you do an example of Norbert Gambit with the an interlisted stock (Ex: TD) ? Just want to avoid any confusion :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am entering all my transactions as well, so far its very nice :)

Here is two question regarding data entry:

Question #1
For maximum consistency sake, how should a fee refund be entered ?

Method 1 - Deposit
Method 2 - Positive BankFee

Question #2 -
Is there a way to enter a dividend transaction without having to specify how many shares I held at the time the cash was distributed to shareholders ? From what i understand, DivTA could be used with a shares value of 1 ?

:)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the reply vidm, its great the have you here :)

Regarding Q1, the way you suggest handling fee (a transaction with a positive number) goes against what is usually displayedon banks/brokers websites and quicken.

Regarding Q2, i am not sure how to enter my DRIP... let me give you an example from my very own TDDI statement:

13-Aug-2014 ZRE DRIP 7 $139.89
13-Aug-2014 ZRE TXPDDV -1,905 $158.12

i received a distribution of 158.12$, 7 ZRE unit DRIP'd (for a total of 139.89) the remaining went into the cash position.

How would i enter this in portfolioslicer ?

Thanks for helping :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply vidm, make sense !

There might be some room for improvement in the naming of various fields

Src tab
“Portfolio” should be renamed “Account”, I suspect that in the majority of the case, it is really account that we are talking about here (ex: TFSA, RRSP, Holding company, etc.). A portfolio is composed of a variety of account which fit your model (ex: a family portfolio composed of two 2 RRSP and 2 TFSA)

• Portfolio = Account (ex: Larry-RRSP)
  • Portfolio Group = Portfolio (ex: Family)
  • Portfolio Tax = Taxable (with True/False value)

SrcTrans tab
Get rid of the « Trans » prefix, there no need for redundancy here

• Portfolio = Account
  • TransDate = Date
  • TransType = Type
  • TransSubType = SubType
  • TransSymbolName = SymbolName
  • TransQty = Qty
  • TransPrice = Price
  • TransFee = Fee
  • ExchRate = Rate
  • Comment = Comment
  • BookValueOverride = BookValueOverride
  • AccruedInterest = AccruedInterest
  • TransTotalAmnt = TotalAmount
  • Symbol = Symbol
  • TransID = ID (TransID could also be used here)

:)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here another quick suggestion, in the "SrcTrans" sheet, it would be practical to have an "AccountCash" column tracking the current cash value of an account. When adding historical transactions, it can be hard to determine if everything balance correctly. Or maybe this information is available somewhere else ?

So far i really like portfolioslicer, should also help me lower my accounting costs :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Another quick one VIDM and then i stop bugging you :)

Can you give me an example on how to enter Stock split transaction ?

6/23/2011 StkSplit MIP123 10,069.929:100,699.29

Basically its a 1:10 conversion...

Not sur how to enter this ...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I had: 100,699.29 share valued at 1$ each

After the split i have: 10,069.929 valued at 10$ each

I am not sure i am entering this properly, PS show a lost of 90k for this position

SymbolName First Trade Date Qty Held Book Price Price Price Orig Curr Book Value Adj Cost Base Total Value Unrlzd Cap Gain
MIP123 2010-11-12 10,078 10.00 1.00 1.00 100,779 100,779 10,078 -90,701

--
Good news regarding the name change :)

Another tidbit, where it make sense, PF should use "Accounting" or "Currency" field type when possible.

Two obvious place
Start Cash and End Cash in the "Bank Stmt" tab

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I mean PS (PortfolioSlicer), sorry for the typo :)

I was referring to the field type used in excel to display the data, imho, for cash values, decimal should be displayed :)

Re: Split, it work thanks a millions :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
vidm you really need to add a column "TotalAccountCash" in the srcTrans tab. This will make account conciliation much more easier, since statement are often from 15 to 15 (instead of end of the month) the Bankstatement is not very useful.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Sorry for late reply - I am just back from vacation.
How would you envision using data from this column? Would you be OK with new report that would show transaction records when my internally calculated cash value does not match cash specified by user in that column?
Welcome back vidm, thanks for taking the time to look into this !

Just to make this clear, the user should not have to manually enter value in this column, this should be computed internally. Here is a quick, simplified example:

Text Font Line Games

Would help a lot for making sure the transaction are entered properly. Monthly report come one a month and are usually from 15 to 15. This field should compute the current cash balance of the account where the transaction is taking place.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
vidm i just finished entering 5years worth of transactions in Portfolio slicer, i really like all the stats and data !

Here a couple questions to make sure i am using it properly:
1. In the "Dashboard" tab, the "Holdings %" graph present stats regarding ALL the position i ever had in my portfolio, since in the past i bough/sold many position that i dont hold anymore, the graph is cluttered with a lot of 0% position.

Is there a way to display only the "current holdings" ?

2. is there a way to override the Symbol information taken from the "cloud" ? For example VXUS name is not "Vanguard STAR Funds Vanguard Total International Stock ETF" but really is "Vanguard Total International Stock ETF"

3. Should only my "current holdings" be defined in my Web Workbooks ? From what i understand this is only used to specify wich stock stock quotes to download, right ?

Best regards :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
1. I am surprised that in Holdings % you see previous holdings. Somehow for you default filter was removed. To add filter back: on the same worksheets move cursor to cell BA:14. This is symbol values pivot table used for that chart. You need to add filter to this pivot table - click on arrow near "Row Labels" then "Value Filters" then "Greater than...". Then Choose condition "Total Value" "is greater than" 0.
Not sure i understand your directive, when you say "worksheets" you mean the "Dashboard" ? Also not sure what is cell BA:14, for me columns are denominated A,B,C,etc. there is no BA.

always amazed by your support vidm :)

edit: another symbol to modify when you have the chance, HBB.TO

current: HORIZONS CDN SELECT UNIVERSE BO

should be: Horizons CDN Select Universe Bond ETF

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just updated to 0.90 without any hassle :)

I used to have some DFA funds, the SymbolName appear as red in my srcTrans tab. How and where should i add these ticker to be recognised ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.