Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
http://portfolioslicer.com

Discovered this workbook today... anyone use it ? It look very nice !

I currently use Quicken but portfolioslicer seem much more complete.
It is nice but I don't like that it seems to require the central server for the core data. Fine that it's free and around, but are you only planning to track investments this year? I'm wondering and worried about 5-20 years down the road!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is nice but I don't like that it seems to require the central server for the core data. Fine that it's free and around, but are you only planning to track investments this year? I'm wondering and worried about 5-20 years down the road!
Central server is only to pull stock quotes, but yes your concern is valid.

Too bad Excel stock quote integration is piss poor.

Google spreadsheet googlefinance() function is magical !

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you want to do your investment tracking - first thing you need is a list of your transactions. And full list of transactions includes deposits, dividend payments, etc. To enter all these transactions is not an easy task. With Portfolio Slicer you will start building your transaction history in Excel and if later better products will be released or something happens to Portfolio Slicer, you will be able easily transform those records into different format.
Portfolio Slicer supports many more stocks than google finance and it can produce much more advanced reports that you could with google spreadsheet.

Disclosure - I am owner of Portfolio Slicer.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
When you want to do your investment tracking - first thing you need is a list of your transactions. And full list of transactions includes deposits, dividend payments, etc. To enter all these transactions is not an easy task. With Portfolio Slicer you will start building your transaction history in Excel and if later better products will be released or something happens to Portfolio Slicer, you will be able easily transform those records into different format.
Portfolio Slicer supports many more stocks than google finance and it can produce much more advanced reports that you could with google spreadsheet.

Disclosure - I am owner of Portfolio Slicer.
i would love to try, i use google sheets and finance and can get some excellent basic information (it leaves out dividend yields as an example of where it fails, though you can do a workaround)

unfortunately, i use a mac, do you plan on releasing a mac compatible version ?

i find excel 2011 just to much work to bring in stock quotes though i have been able to do it

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would love to try, i use google sheets and finance and can get some excellent basic information (it leaves out dividend yields as an example of where it fails, though you can do a workaround)

unfortunately, i use a mac, do you plan on releasing a mac compatible version ?

i find excel 2011 just to much work to bring in stock quotes though i have been able to do it
Portfolio Slicer does not work with MAC because MAC version of Excel does not support PowerPivot - engine that is used for all calculations. So it is really out of my hands - but I do hope that Microsoft will include PowerPivot support in next version of Excel for Mac.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vidm, i didnt know you posted on this forum :)

Could you explain how a "Norbert Gambit" transaction should be handled with Portfolio Slicer ? I have a hard time figuring how to enter the pair of transactions without breaking everything !

·
Registered
86 Posts
vidm, i didnt know you posted on this forum :)

Could you explain how a "Norbert Gambit" transaction should be handled with Portfolio Slicer ? I have a hard time figuring how to enter the pair of transactions without breaking everything !
Hi Larry,

I added FAQ entry on how to enter Norbert's Gambit transactions into Portfolio Slicer: http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert
If you have any problems - please do not hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't normally keep track of cash in or out... excluding tracking of Dividends, will portfolio slicer have any hiccups if deposits or withdrawals are completely omitted?
Hi Kaitlyn,

Portfolio Slicer has special transaction types that are designated to deal with "cashless" portfolios:

Buy+Deposit
Div+Withdraw
DivTA+Withdraw
Sell+Withdraw

These transactions assume that you deposit or withdraw cash amount that is equal to total transaction impact to cash. Using these transaction types will make Portfolio Slicer work without tracking cash.
Just a note - I have not done as extensive testing of these transaction types, but if you will encounter any problem, I'll do my best to resolve it ASAP.

Regards,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Kaitlyn,

Portfolio Slicer has special transaction types that are designated to deal with "cashless" portfolios:

Buy+Deposit
Div+Withdraw
DivTA+Withdraw
Sell+Withdraw

These transactions assume that you deposit or withdraw cash amount that is equal to total transaction impact to cash. Using these transaction types will make Portfolio Slicer work without tracking cash.
Just a note - I have not done as extensive testing of these transaction types, but if you will encounter any problem, I'll do my best to resolve it ASAP.

Regards,
Thanks! Just wondering, what IF these are omitted - what exactly doesn't get tracked/reported properly?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks! Just wondering, what IF these are omitted - what exactly doesn't get tracked/reported properly?
If you would not use these special transaction types and would not add cash deposits/withdrawals you would see incorrect "Cash Value" and "Total Value" for Portfolios and for Total reports. So lets say you buy MSFT for 100,000$. Your Cash Value for that portfolio would be -100,000$ and your total value for that Portfolio would be 0: (CashValue + StockValue) = (-100,000 + 100,000) =0. Of course you can add all your "Buy" transactions and Portfolio Slicer will calculate that Cash Value is -x$. Then you just go back and enter source deposit transaction for x$, then your CashValue and Stock value will be OK, but Portfolio Rate of return could be affected (deposited Jan 1st x amount, bought first stock on Jan 2nd, then second stock in Nov 2nd, so PS will assume that cash was sitting in account and not earning much).

·
Banned
580 Posts
Quicken usually has hundreds of fixes with every new release and it has thousands of users. I can't imagine how fixes this product will have, considering so few are using it now --- I won't be the guinea pig here :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quicken usually has hundreds of fixes with every new release and it has thousands of users. I can't imagine how fixes this product will have, considering so few are using it now --- I won't be the guinea pig here :)
Webber22,

All formulas in Portfolio Slicer are open to every user - that means every one can edit them and adjust them the way user wants. I also can just post formula on my website or in the forum and you can apply fix yourself. Portfolio Slicer is very open system - if you know Excel, you can design any report the way you want it. Because of that flexibility - same users choose Portfolio Slicer.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Larry,

I added FAQ entry on how to enter Norbert's Gambit transactions into Portfolio Slicer: http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert
If you have any problems - please do not hesitate to ask!
Not sure i understand, i have both a US and a Canadian account, isnt something that should be configured in Portfolio Slicer ? Can you do an example of Norbert Gambit with the an interlisted stock (Ex: TD) ? Just want to avoid any confusion :)

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I've used Quicken for years. I've always felt it leaves much to be desired when it comes to investments. It tracks them well, but it doesn't give you much of a complete picture. I had to use a lot of custom reports to get what I needed.

It did take me a few days to setup this Portfolio Slicer. You register online, add all your tickers online, get power pivot setup on excel and connected (there's great YouTube instructions for this) then export Quicken data to excel and convert and rearrange it all to this format ("replace all" function makes this step much less tedious) Negative stock quantity for a sale won't work, but that could be fixed (regardless of + or - a sale is not confused with a buy)

Portfolio Slicer definitely presents a much better look at my portfolio. I feel like Quicken was made by programmers who don't buy stocks while portfolio slicer has exactly what an investor wants. It's very well done imo plus it's FREE!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure i understand, i have both a US and a Canadian account, isnt something that should be configured in Portfolio Slicer ? Can you do an example of Norbert Gambit with the an interlisted stock (Ex: TD) ? Just want to avoid any confusion :)
Larry - You are right, I assumed that you are looking to do Norbert Gambit in the same account. But of course there could be different usage when you buy in one account and sell in another. I just updated same FAQ entry and added another example what you should do when you are buying in one and selling in another account. Please visit same page: http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert

And thank you for good question - I am sure this FAQ entry will help many people.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've used Quicken for years. I've always felt it leaves much to be desired when it comes to investments. It tracks them well, but it doesn't give you much of a complete picture. I had to use a lot of custom reports to get what I needed.

It did take me a few days to setup this Portfolio Slicer. You register online, add all your tickers online, get power pivot setup on excel and connected (there's great YouTube instructions for this) then export Quicken data to excel and convert and rearrange it all to this format ("replace all" function makes this step much less tedious) Negative stock quantity for a sale won't work, but that could be fixed (regardless of + or - a sale is not confused with a buy)

Portfolio Slicer definitely presents a much better look at my portfolio. I feel like Quicken was made by programmers who don't buy stocks while portfolio slicer has exactly what an investor wants. It's very well done imo plus it's FREE!
M3s - thank you very much for nice comments about Portfolio Slicer - I really appreciate them!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am entering all my transactions as well, so far its very nice :)

Here is two question regarding data entry:

Question #1
For maximum consistency sake, how should a fee refund be entered ?

Method 1 - Deposit
Method 2 - Positive BankFee

Question #2 -
Is there a way to enter a dividend transaction without having to specify how many shares I held at the time the cash was distributed to shareholders ? From what i understand, DivTA could be used with a shares value of 1 ?

:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am entering all my transactions as well, so far its very nice :)
Question #1
For maximum consistency sake, how should a fee refund be entered ?

Method 1 - Deposit
Method 2 - Positive BankFee

Question #2 -
Is there a way to enter a dividend transaction without having to specify how many shares I held at the time the cash was distributed to shareholders ? From what i understand, DivTA could be used with a shares value of 1 ?

:)
Q1: Normally when you enter transactions in normal circumstances you enter positive values. So for buy and for sell when you enter qty or price - you enter them as positive values. If bank charges you lets say 50$ for account, you would enter positive 50$ for charge and for refund you would enter transaction with type BankFee but with negative TransPrice as -50.

Q2: You are right about DivTA - for such transaction TransQty field is ignored and you can enter 1 and then in TransPrice you would specify total dividend received amount.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 160 Posts