Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time now I've been trying to find a portfolio tracker that works for my situation... I'm sure there are others in the same situation and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. Need something that fulfills at least these requirements:

• automatic importing of my trades from Questrade -automatic dividend tracking
  • ability to track Canadian stocks as well as US
  • ideally some simple benchmarks (like how portfolio is doing vs S&P)
  • (mostly) automatic calculation of ACB and obviously investment return (XIRR)
  • some simple reporting (profit/loss, capital gains etc.) - in conjunction with ACB esp useful when filing taxes with the CRA
  • data stored online/accessible and has a mobile friendly view
  • currency rate automatic tracking (when I bought at, sold at etc.) accurate at least to the dollar noon historic rate.

So far, I've tried the following here are some rough comments:
  • Google/Yahoo finance: pretty good trackers but no automatic or import of trades
  • SigFig/Personal Capital/most other trackers - either doesn't support Canadian markets, or doesn't support auto import from questrade, most of the time I only see import options from fidelity, Wells Fargo, etc.
  • Most also don't take into consideration or track FX

Basically two main questions:
  • Am I missing something? Or is there a platform out there that already satisfies my situation
  • If not, is there anyone else in the same boat that would use this app if I set down the path of making one? (Would love lots of feedback here)

So far I've resorted to just making an excel spreadsheet that I have to manually import data. But I find it quickly spiralling out of hand. But I was researching recently and there is a Questrade API that was recently released. As a developer, I feel this pain bad enough to consider actually writing a webapp that will satisfy those requirements.

If such software existed, what other features do you think would be helpful? - if you're interested help me fill out this quick survey: https://laterolabs.typeform.com/to/ksLQbV

Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
PortfolioSlicer (Also discussed in this forum) tracks Canada/US Stocks/ETFs and Foreign exchange impact. But it doesn't auto import dividend data (requires manual input of transaction) and it store user transactions locally, not in cloud. And it runs off Excel 2013 SP1 only, which when it works, it's quite impressive, but when it doesn't its hard to debug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

PortfolioSlicer (Also discussed in this forum) tracks Canada/US Stocks/ETFs and Foreign exchange impact. But it doesn't auto import dividend data (requires manual input of transaction) and it store user transactions locally, not in cloud. And it runs off Excel 2013 SP1 only, which when it works, it's quite impressive, but when it doesn't its hard to debug.
Thanks mf4361 - PortfolioSlicer looks like its a super powerful tool. I'm thinking of just creating a basic more friendly version but hosted online, and integrated with questrade's API so that I can do automatic download etc. - what do you think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks mf4361 - PortfolioSlicer looks like its a super powerful tool. I'm thinking of just creating a basic more friendly version but hosted online, and integrated with questrade's API so that I can do automatic download etc. - what do you think?
Striderfox, did you have any luck finding software to calculate ACB and autoimport from Questrade?

Cheers, Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
field day

@jeff123 Maybe you should try wealthica.com (Full disclosure, I am one of the founders). We don't have ACB reports yet, but we're actively developing and will add it soon. We integrate with Questrade's API and support many Canadian financial institutions. It's free, give it a try and tell us what you think and what you would need to make it your preferred portfolio tracking software !

@striderfox If you did not find your perfect software yet, give wealthica.com a try and tell us if we're going in the right direction :)

Martin

·
Registered
410 Posts
@jeff123 Maybe you should try wealthica.com (Full disclosure, I am one of the founders). We don't have ACB reports yet, but we're actively developing and will add it soon. We integrate with Questrade's API and support many Canadian financial institutions. It's free, give it a try and tell us what you think and what you would need to make it your preferred portfolio tracking software !

@striderfox If you did not find your perfect software yet, give wealthica.com a try and tell us if we're going in the right direction :)

Martin
Hi Martin,

Thanks for mentioning your product. I've been searching for a useful portfolio tracker for a while now and wealthica seems interesting. Great design and intuitive interface. Good job!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you support manual entry of holdings and transactions?
I might be one of the few but I would never provide my broker's account information to a third party. Maybe others can prove me too paranoid? :)

2. What kind of security measures do you apply to keep the investors' brokerage credentials safe?
In the case of a potential compromise of your systems what prevents an attacker from collecting all the investors' usernames/passwords that are stored on your system for accessing their brokerage accounts?

Cheers,
JC

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
... I might be one of the few but I would never provide my broker's account information to a third party. Maybe others can prove me too paranoid? :) ...
I'm the same, I wouldn't let a 3rd party app connect to my banking/trading accounts without some serious consideration.

wealthica looks primarily like an account aggregator and seems designed for advisors (or is it advisers?). Helpful if you have multiple accounts. We've found it more helpful to just consolidate to one bank/broker. Then performance is easier to track, no need for aggregating software, less 'baggage' as you age. The app points out its ability to aggregate on a daily basis. Not sure who needs that unless you're a day trader (for which you'd want an interactive platform anyway). Not many details provided on site.

And the original OP is soliciting input to build their own app, not asking us what we suggest. Good luck with that.

All in all, a lame thread so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Wealthica

The OP also asked : Am I missing something? Or is there a platform out there that already satisfies my situation

That's what the answer what intended to answer.

In addition, to answer the part of the OP's question about building the software himself, Wealthica offers a developer API the could be used to collect the data and use it in his own application or software.

I posted an answer about other concerns but it seems it was not approved by moderators yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.