Canadian Money Forum banner

Will you remain fully invested during these crazy times?

• Yes, keep investments unchanged (continue existing plan / asset allocation)

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No, I will adjust and become a bit more cautious

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No, I will adjust and become MUCH more cautious

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, these crazy times need a radically different approach

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Didn't see this poll until today.

Unless the market crashes again (aka buying opportunities), my investment portfolio is going to ride the waves for the rest of the year or possibly the next 5 years. Will have another look around Christmas time.

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
I, and many others, have substantially increased equity exposure as a result of this drop.
Depending on how/when you invest each year and your portfolio allocations an increase equity holdings really came along for the ride. I delayed my main yearly purchases from Feburary to late March which resulted in me buying more equities to maintain balance.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Depending on how/when you invest each year and your portfolio allocations an increase equity holdings really came along for the ride. I delayed my main yearly purchases from Feburary to late March which resulted in me buying more equities to maintain balance.
A very valid point. A vote for keeping current strategy, e.g. asset allocations constant, meant a re-balancing into more equities in March, or a disproportional purchase of new equity with new money.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Crazy times, you say? My investments are currently acting like a heart beat o_O

Which... actually... is in sync with my heart beat... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: calm

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I selected adjust and become more cautious. What that means for me is to resist the desire to deploy cash until Q3. I don't intend to make any major changes but am watching the market closely as I can. Something I tend to do anyways. That amount varies based on how much time I have available due to workload, family time etc.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
A very valid point. A vote for keeping current strategy, e.g. asset allocations constant, meant a re-balancing into more equities in March, or a disproportional purchase of new equity with new money.
I think this would depend on the rebalancing strategy the person uses. I rebalance any time I'm adding new money (buy whatever is lowest vs target weight), but I haven't had any new money to add in a while. Without new money, my own policy is annual rebalancing -- so I did not rebalance into equities in recent months.

These are not bearish or conservative actions, just sticking with the policy that was in place long before the crash.

Those investors with a rebalancing triggered by % weight shifts may have purchased equities during the crash. I've looked at various rebalancing strategies (and papers studying them) and have decided to stick with the annual method. There is no single "right way" to do this.

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
Those investors with a rebalancing triggered by % weight shifts may have purchased equities during the crash. I've looked at various rebalancing strategies (and papers studying them) and have decided to stick with the annual method. There is no single "right way" to do this.
With the spectre of pandemic on the horizon I delayed my yearly investment which "to me" seemed like a good idea with little or no downside. My normal yearly rebalance, done at the same time I put new money in, would have happened in late Feburary.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts