Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Ho hum. This is why we need more immigrants....they are often the ones who better recognize what a great country this is. Let them tell you about the country they left.
We're immigrants and I can tell you that country we left (Israel) is amazing!

You can’t compare it to France and Belgium, where you can drive from one capital to the other in 4 hours.
The problem is not the distance! We live in Ontario 22 years and there only province we visited was QC.
On the other hand, we visited half Europe, half Caribbean, Central America, about 15 US states.
Exactly same pattern have all families we know

·
Registered
20,455 Posts
You have people attacking the fundamental western liberal institutions of our society, so yes there is a problem.
Yes we do have people attacking actual democracy itself. Republicans have given up on fair democracy and now prefer to have a dictator in charge... they even tried to illegally seize power just a couple months ago!

Also conservatives care about the foundations of society (it's what they want to conserve)
This obviously isn't true, since American conservatives tried repeatedly to overthrow democratic elections.

At least in the US, many conservatives no longer believe in the system of western democracy or the US constitution. They are clearly not trying to preserve the foundation of their society.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Yes we do have people attacking actual democracy itself. Republicans have given up on fair democracy and now prefer to have a dictator in charge... they even tried to illegally seize power just a couple months ago!

This obviously isn't true, since American conservatives tried repeatedly to overthrow democratic elections.

At least in the US, many conservatives no longer believe in the system of western democracy or the US constitution. They are clearly not trying to preserve the foundation of their society.
I think you're mixing things up.
The people who are trying to destroy our society are not conservative, or liberal.
The US Republicans claim to be "conservative", but in many ways they're not. The Canadian Liberals claim to be "liberal" but in many ways they are not.

I think all the major political parties are broken to various degrees in various ways.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
But Gibor...you're not the right kind of immigrant apparently. Wrong religion, too hard working, too successful, too thoughtful I would list as your faults.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

The problem is not the distance! We live in Ontario 22 years and there only province we visited was QC.
On the other hand, we visited half Europe, half Caribbean, Central America, about 15 US states.
Exactly same pattern have all families we know
Why’d you leave?

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
But Gibor...you're not the right kind of immigrant apparently. Wrong religion, too hard working, too successful, too thoughtful I would list as your faults.
Sure! We're sorry that in 20 years in Canada our net worth is close to 3M (despite of ridiculous taxes) :)

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Very good article! I have exactly same feelings like author.
Canada is not a country

when our storm arrives, we may discover that Canada was never really a country after all.
The funny part that the author of this very good article is Scott Gilmore who is husband of "Climate Barbie" Catherine McKenna LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
265 Posts

Real conservative Republications have no respect or love for Trump and his tribal followers. Most of these Trump demonstrators would fail the most basic test on what constitutes conservatism. We could start with free enterprise , fiscal conservatism and free trade. Trump and his followers are destroying the conservative movements in the USA.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
It looks like "real conservatives" have lost control of their party.

They have a choice of starting a new party or forcing Trump and his hard core followers out.

Either way it is going to be messy.

I don't believe the Trump brand would take hold in Canada. He wouldn't ever get elected here.

Canadians are different in many ways.....not better but different priorities.

·
Registered
20,455 Posts
Trump and his followers are destroying the conservative movements in the USA.
I agree with you here, but the Republican Party decided to go with Trump. They even had the opportunity to impeach Trump and prevent him from ever running again. Several Republicans wanted to of course. In the end, they decided not to do that either.

This is why I think the Republican Party has passed the point of no return.

I don't believe the Trump brand would take hold in Canada. He wouldn't ever get elected here.
I wouldn't be so sure. I was living in the US when the Trump phenomenon started, and everyone was very dismissive about the whole thing.

My advice is, don't be complacent. Canada has many of the same trends that led to Trump. And even among my own friends, I know at least one Canadian who has recently lost his mind and turned into full-blown MAGA nut.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with you here, but the Republican Party decided to go with Trump. They even had the opportunity to impeach Trump and prevent him from ever running again. Several Republicans wanted to of course. In the end, they decided not to do that either.

I wouldn't be so sure. I was living in the US when the Trump phenomenon started, and everyone was very dismissive about the whole thing.9

My advice is, don't be complacent. Canada has many of the same trends that led to Trump. And even among my own friends, I know at least one Canadian who has recently lost his mind and turned into full-blown MAGA nut.
They held there noses for fear that the Trump mob would target them for their own elections.they are hoping the the Trump will die and disappear.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
I have 4 brothers and sisters and 2 of them out of the 10 of us (including spouses) is full blown MAGA, chem trails, Michelle Obama is a transvestite, pizzagate, Trump won the election......tinfoil hat conspiracy nuts.

We got the MAGA nuts outnumbered 8 to 2.......no worries.

·
Registered
20,455 Posts
They held there noses for fear that the Trump mob would target them for their own elections.they are hoping the the Trump will die and disappear.
The problem is the conservative movement (in the US anyway) courted these crazies & lunatics for quite a while. They (the Republicans) turned what was once a fringe movement, into a powerful force... people who believe conspiracy theories, who absolutely hate government, and want a civil war or violent uprising.

This is what American conservatives chose to create. This didn't happen accidentally; it was engineered to become this. Now, the monsters they created (MAGA people) are out of control.

So yes, I do blame American conservatives quite a bit for all this. For the last 40 years, they've been feeding this MAGA movement.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure. I was living in the US when the Trump phenomenon started, and everyone was very dismissive about the whole thing.

The Liberals have had innumerable opportunities to turf Trudeau.
They didn't do so, because they think he can deliver votes.

While they have problems, I don't think either the Republicans or Liberals have reached the point of no return.

it's funny, when you say Trump and Republican, you can swap in Trudeau and Liberals, and it still fits.
Of course there are obvious exceptions, Trudeau participates in protests against his own government, I can't imagine Trump ever doing that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very good article! I have exactly same feelings like author.
Canada is not a country

when our storm arrives, we may discover that Canada was never really a country after all.
I am very familiar with SK/AB . The hostility, resentment and alienation is both wide and deep. You have to talk to literally thousands of people before you will find on person with any respect for Trudeau. People here see themselves as a colonial territory with no real say or control over their future. The current equalization program only confirms that view. A 20 billion dollar a year screw job for these two provinces.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I worry that social media has replaced normal discourse for deciding on our political future. It has enabled the emergence of narcissistic leaders like Trump and Trudeau and a cult of personality and lies. The problem is not new but it's power is frightening!

·
Registered
265 Posts
A concerning phenomenon . I have talked to Trudeau supporters and Trump supporters and I can only thing of cults . With cults it is difficult to find a rational explanation with the obsession with the leader. The polls show high levels of support among women for Trudeau. Trudeau 's record ; 1. debt and deficit at levels beyond comprehension 2. a history of one scandal after another 3. a record of incompetence when it comes to securing vaccines 4 an embarrassment on the international stage. Remember the costume fiasco in India. He is seen as a joke by other countries 5 He has helped to severely divide the nation [ Alberta and SK, indigenous people] . 6. Hypocrisy . He is the PM for diversity. Three women cabinet ministers fired or resigned because of this guys deceit. Blackface and his own questionable history of touching women. His level of support is a head scratcher .

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
A concerning phenomenon . I have talked to Trudeau supporters and Trump supporters and I can only thing of cults . With cults it is difficult to find a rational explanation with the obsession with the leader. The polls show high levels of support among women for Trudeau. Trudeau 's record ; 1. debt and deficit at levels beyond comprehension 2. a history of one scandal after another 3. a record of incompetence when it comes to securing vaccines 4 an embarrassment on the international stage. Remember the costume fiasco in India. He is seen as a joke by other countries 5 He has helped to severely divide the nation [ Alberta and SK, indigenous people] . 6. Hypocrisy . He is the PM for diversity. Three women cabinet ministers fired or resigned because of this guys deceit. Blackface and his own questionable history of touching women. His level of support is a head scratcher .
Not a fan of his, but the party supports climate initiatives and pro-choice. Cons will be hard pressed to make inroads with young people (climate) and women (abortion). Whatever the Cons say, they have a ways to go in making people believe they are in favour of these policies.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not a fan of his, but the party supports climate initiatives and pro-choice. Cons will be hard pressed to make inroads with young people (climate) and women (abortion). Whatever the Cons say, they have a ways to go in making people believe they are in favour of these policies.
The abortion thing is a head scratcher. Harper was PM for 9 years and I don't recall one instance were his government ever took step against pro-choice. I don't understand people's obsession with climate change. Canada is such a small part of the problem that it hardly registers. Will be curious what these people will say when the CPC fully adopts modular nuclear energy as the way of seriously meeting and exceeding carbon emission targets. They will have some big names behind that policy. People like Bill Gates.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts