Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Sorry, Canada has pretty good election laws, though some seek to undermine them by switching to insecure online voting.
not exactly true! In Canada voter can vote with covered face, for example burqa

Can you really identify such person?!
In Israel every local elections we had shooting events when one burqa person voted several times for others (usually 2 tribes were competing with each other)

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
There have been no significant levels of voting fraud in either Canada or the US. Even Trump's Attorney General, Barr, said explicitly: this election was perfectly secure and there was no widespread voting fraud. That's Trump's man who said that! Top DHS and FBI officials said the same.

I don't see why one should worry about when there hasn't actually been any demonstrated voting fraud at any significant level.

The Republicans demanded recounts all over the place. The results did not change, except I think Trump actually lost some votes during the recounts.

There are much bigger concerns. Specifically, Trump tried -- repeatedly -- to overturn the election results unfairly, using a variety of techniques. He tried to steal the election the way a dictator would, through trickery and abuse of power.

Voter fraud demonstrated? No, nothing meaningful.
A crooked president trying to overturn the election? YES - this actually happened.

So logically, one must focus on the second problem. That means looking at how Trump tried to overturn the election, criminally prosecuting him, and strengthening the system.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
There have been no significant levels of voting fraud in either Canada or the US. Even Trump's Attorney General, Barr, said explicitly: this election was perfectly secure and there was no widespread voting fraud. That's Trump's man who said that! Top DHS and FBI officials said the same.
Please cite your quote that "this election was perfectly secure"

No evidence of, but of course they're not looking very hard for it.
FFS they didn't even check their ID.
I don't see why one should worry about when there hasn't actually been any demonstrated voting fraud at any significant level.

The Republicans demanded recounts all over the place. The results did not change, except I think Trump actually lost some votes during the recounts.

There are much bigger concerns. Specifically, Trump tried -- repeatedly -- to overturn the election results unfairly, using a variety of techniques. He tried to steal the election the way a dictator would, through trickery and abuse of power.

A crooked president trying to overturn the election? YES - this actually happened.

So logically, one must focus on the second problem. That means looking at how Trump tried to overturn the election, criminally prosecuting him, and strengthening the system.
What's the second problem?
Didn't the system work as intended?
He didn't overturn the election, so what needs to be fixed?

If you don't confirm if a voter is legally eligible to vote, there is a potential for voter fraud.
It's pretty obvious to everyone that is the case.

I'm all for prosecuting someone for crimes they committed, however they've gone after Trump twice, and it's looking increasingly politically motivated.

I'd love for Trudeau to be prosecuted for his alleged crimes, but we know that is never going to happen.

·
Registered
119 Posts

There is possibility of fraud, even if nothing happened. Can not buy booze or smoke without ID, but ok to vote. Seems crazy to me.
People whose candidate lost will point to all this because from their point of view these loopholes were left there to favor one candidate.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
There is possibility of fraud, even if nothing happened. Can not buy booze or smoke without ID, but ok to vote. Seems crazy to me.
People whose candidate lost will point to all this because from their point of view these loopholes were left there to favor one candidate.
That's why it is important to address these issues.
We know one party doesn't like voter verification, and they happened to win.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
That's why it is important to address these issues.
We know one party doesn't like voter verification, and they happened to win.
This is more right wing propaganda.

As usual, you are stretching the truth. The Republicans have been actively doing voter suppression for a long time, targeting minority communities which tend to not vote for them.

The Republicans always try to make it harder for minorities and marginalized groups to vote. This is a deliberate election manipulation tactic to solidify their votes from wealthy white people and try to suppress votes from non-whites, and poorer people.

They spin it as election safety, which is what you're posting about here. That's not really what it's about. These are the old tricks of the Republicans for how to subvert democratic systems.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
This is more right wing propaganda.

As usual, you are stretching the truth. The Republicans have been actively doing voter suppression for a long time, targeting minority communities which tend to not vote for them.

The Republicans always try to make it harder for minorities and marginalized groups to vote. This is a deliberate election manipulation tactic to solidify their votes from wealthy white people and try to suppress votes from non-whites, and poorer people.

They spin it as election safety, which is what you're posting about here. That's not really what it's about. These are the old tricks of the Republicans for how to subvert democratic systems.
I'm not stretching the truth.

I think voter verification is an important part of a legitimate election. No stretching required.

I also think voter suppression is a problem as well. But the idea that non-whites can't get ID is laughable, and racist.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Israel , Emirates and Bahrain have now full diplomatic relationships... Emirates embassy opens in Israel. Even now there are 3 daily flights Tel Aviv - Dubai, 3 hours flight, $300 ...Amazing!
We write this article together, proud that the UAE and Israel are leading the world in vaccinating our populations against Covid-19. With open and direct ties, our medical professionals are sharing data, learning from one another and charting new areas for research and for collaboration on vaccine distribution around the region and world.
As we move toward reopening our economies and restarting travel, UAE-Israeli cross-border trade, tourism and investment growth will quicken. As the two most dynamic and advanced societies in the region, the potential is limitless.

Thanks to Trump who this happen!

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Very good article! I have exactly same feelings like author.
Canada is not a country

when our storm arrives, we may discover that Canada was never really a country after all.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
It's sad to see people showing so little faith in Canada. Maybe we can create a forum section for people to complain about how the country will collapse. I know who will be posting there :)

I've heard these kinds of comments over the years, and observed that they come from cynicism and deep-rooted negativity. It's also very common among American conservatives in particular.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Very good article! I have exactly same feelings like author.
Canada is not a country

when our storm arrives, we may discover that Canada was never really a country after all.
Ho hum. This is why we need more immigrants....they are often the ones who better recognize what a great country this is. Let them tell you about the country they left.
a Lot of these ideas in the article happen in a lot of countries. Watch Stanley Tucci’s show on CNN. A person from Sicily is not Italian, they claim to be Sicilian. A person from Milan, is not Italian, they are Milanese. This is a BIG country.....of course people in NB don’t have similar “likes” as someone from BC. You can’t compare it to France and Belgium, where you can drive from one capital to the other in 4 hours.

this is the major problem today......focus on your similarities and things we can do together....no sense spending time on our minute differences.

“So, let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.” JFK

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
It's sad to see people showing so little faith in Canada. Maybe we can create a forum section for people to complain about how the country will collapse. I know who will be posting there :)

I've heard these kinds of comments over the years, and observed that they come from cynicism and deep-rooted negativity. It's also very common among American conservatives in particular.
You have people attacking the fundamental western liberal institutions of our society, so yes there is a problem.
Also conservatives care about the foundations of society (it's what they want to conserve), so yeah, they'll be upset about it.

There are people who are literally trying to "remake" society. They no only don't want to preserve the fundamental institutions of our society,they want to destroy them.

Our current system isn't perfect, but it's objectively much better than any other system in human history.
I do want to improve it, I just don't support tearing it down until we have an improved system ready to replace it. That doesn't end well.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts