Canadian Money Forum banner
481 - 500 of 4720 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Maybe for Christina-Hothere Sommers there is no gender gap ....but I don't know who she is :)... I agree that there is no gap for minimal + pay, for executive the story is different :)
She's a feminist who's actually done research on the pay gap.

Also the data on the pay gap is pretty compelling.

Quite simply there is no significant pay gap when you account for other factors.
Most of the "studies" are crappy simple analysis that don't even account for basic factors.

But go ahead, show a good study that accounts for things like "hours worked" and you're not going to be finding ridiculous 30% differences.
While there are no doubt some people acting unfairly, the vast majority treat people equally, even biased towards paying certain groups more to make up, or hit internal quotas.

·
Registered
19,949 Posts
The study cited only looked at CEOs of companies, and since there is only one CEO at a company, they were comparing pay rates at different companies.

Pay equity has nothing to do with pay rates at different companies.

It is the rate of pay within a company for women and men performing the same or similar job functions.

I suspect the CEO of Goldman Sachs would earn a lot more than the CEO of many companies.......male or female.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
The study cited only looked at CEOs of companies, and since there is only one CEO at a company, they were comparing pay rates at different companies.

Pay equity has nothing to do with pay rates at different companies.

It is the rate of pay within a company for women and men performing the same or similar job functions.

I suspect the CEO of Goldman Sachs would earn a lot more than the CEO of many companies.......male or female.
They explain why they chose CEO, to get the "similar job function", and they corrected for company sector and size.

My point stands, there is no gender pay gap, the most common claims are laughably false.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts

My point stands, there is no gender pay gap, the most common claims are laughably false.
Believe me, if not my wife example (she showed me real numbers) , I'd think like you.... (same with OHIP, until I needed MRI and couple of years after got to hospital with leg fracture, I thought our healthcare is not too bad...)

Now there is another issue, my wife's Canadian top executive told her in private conversation, that despite she is amazing and getting excellent reviews, the problem to promote her to higher executive position is that her English is not a first language! And this is despite she works in top NA companies for 20+ years, 15 years ago got Master Degree in Dallas University and Business degree in York...
What a hypocrisy!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Believe me, if not my wife example (she showed me real numbers) , I'd think like you.... (same with OHIP, until I needed MRI and couple of years after got to hospital with leg fracture, I thought our healthcare is not too bad...)

Now there is another issue, my wife's Canadian top executive told her in private conversation, that despite she is amazing and getting excellent reviews, the problem to promote her to higher executive position is that her English is not a first language! And this is despite she works in top NA companies for 20+ years, 15 years ago got Master Degree in Dallas University and Business degree in York...
What a hypocrisy!
Few points.
English language fluency isn't a gender issue.
Myself I have no problems with ESL staff, but I know many do. It CAN be a legitimate communication problem.

I am sure if you take some numbers from a certain limited source you can show almost anything you want.
I could have shown you in my last role that the female staff made more than the equivalent male staff. But there were factors why they made more.

Looking at overall data, correcting for factors such as "hours worked", and job function there is no gap.
This is a hot area, and we'll see it soon.

Look at googles pay equity problems they're fighting with the US government on. It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
^ True, it could be worst as compared to the USA. But we were (and still am) one plus year in a pandemic. How much "bumblings" can you put up with? Another year or 2?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
^ True, it could be worst as compared to the USA. But we were (and still am) one plus year in a pandemic. How much "bumblings" can you put up with? Another year or 2?
The bumbling will never go away.
Based on current projections we'll be getting another term of Trudeau.

Ontario the PC's are looking rough, but the Provincial Liberals are nowhere to be found. Honestly I think that's a good strategy, don't take a position, just sit back and let Ford suffer, then once it's all done, and with months or years of data say "oh yeah, look at all this data, we would have done everything right'. Completely ignoring that the data didn't exist and ignoring all the things they did manage do to right.

For all the complaining about vaccinations, they're dishing it out as fast as it lands in the country. They managed to get every COVID patient into a bed if they needed one. The Canadian death rates are among the lowest.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Having bumbling idiots in the government like we currently have is something I can bear. Wouldn't be the first or the last time.
Having bumbling idiots in the government wipe their asses Charter of Rights and Freedoms, killing people, and destroying livelihoods of lower middle class in Canada......that's a problem.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Looking at overall data, correcting for factors such as "hours worked", and job function there is no gap.
I'm not sure about what positions you are talking about! For executives and even much lower levels there is no such thing as "hours worked" ... I agree that at some lower/medium level positions there is no "gender" gap....
My wife worked as executive in 2 different "big 5" banks and before at Intel.....so she knows what she is talking about...anf there is huge difference in approach between top US hi tech companies and Canadian big banks

It CAN be a legitimate communication problem.
So, she is fine and excellent (always exceed expectation) as VP, and suddenly gonna have communication problem as SVP?!
It;s just prejudice toward females and people whose mother tongue is not English.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Having bumbling idiots in the government like we currently have is something I can bear. Wouldn't be the first or the last time.
Having bumbling idiots in the government wipe their asses Charter of Rights and Freedoms, killing people, and destroying livelihoods of lower middle class in Canada......that's a problem.
I've said many time that Charter of Rights and Freedoms is just a meaningless pice of paper similar to " the most democratic , Stalin's constitution 1936"

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Trudeau is the one who's ignoring human rights, and destroying livelihoods.. which is why I want him gone.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I'm not sure about what positions you are talking about! For executives and even much lower levels there is no such thing as "hours worked" ... I agree that at some lower/medium level positions there is no "gender" gap....
Glad we agree that at least in some well defined contexts .

My wife worked as executive in 2 different "big 5" banks and before at Intel.....so she knows what she is talking about...anf there is huge difference in approach between top US hi tech companies and Canadian big banks
She might know, and I know the banks are racist, BNS publicly announced their racial quotas.
But I haven't seen the data to support her claims.

So, she is fine and excellent (always exceed expectation) as VP, and suddenly gonna have communication problem as SVP?!
It;s just prejudice toward females and people whose mother tongue is not English.
I've never heard of anyone with experience giving a reason for not promotion, termination etc. whatever is said could be the foundation for an action.
That's amateur hour HR mistakes.

If I was picking my staff, and when I did promote people, I always chose the most capable people.
Quite simply it made me look good, and made my job much easier. It would be counterproductive to select a less capable person. It's a competative advantage to select on merit.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Ignoring the rules they set is politicians' specialty.
Country would be much better off if he was quarantined until end of the term, but alas. 10h it is.
Big middle finger to the suckers not being able to get the test result within 14 days and having to extend the quarantine.
How does one see that and simply not return a middle finger right back when asked to follow the rules they so blatantly ignore
Trudeau is riding high in the polls, ask sags what they see in him.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I don't have to ask Sags. I talk with people from entire political spectrum.
I think we have determined the main reason why they are high in polls:
Liberal party promotes and actively engages in racism in Canada, and subsequently they use virtue signaling. This tactic is destructive to the society in itself, but it is effective, and that's why politicians in general employ it. Liberals simply are more effective in creating racism and then virtue signaling than other parties.

Another reason is education system in Canada. It promotes very narrow specialization (subjects being chosen at the age of 16 already), and prevents people from having more wide view on the issues. It also actively discourages financial education. Financial illiteracy is the biggest reason why politicians get away with the things they do.
It is also not going to change, other than through private initiatives, because those in power generally find it beneficial to have society that is not educated sufficiently, especially in financial aspects.

Good example of why is Switzerland. They employ more direct democracy than just about any country in the world, and there is significant number of government policies that are thrown out by the citizens by the use of referendum.
You simply couldn't introduce that in Canada without overhauling education system completely.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Glad we agree that at least in some well defined contexts .

She might know, and I know the banks are racist, BNS publicly announced their racial quotas.
But I haven't seen the data to support her claims.

I've never heard of anyone with experience giving a reason for not promotion, termination etc. whatever is said could be the foundation for an action.
That's amateur hour HR mistakes.

If I was picking my staff, and when I did promote people, I always chose the most capable people.
Quite simply it made me look good, and made my job much easier. It would be counterproductive to select a less capable person. It's a competative advantage to select on merit.
I had a dinner with one of the former CIBC CIO and some other top banks executive and can witness that there are biased ... they prefer WASPs
Regarding promoting the most capable people .... sure, majority would, esp in hi tech private companies..... but Canadian banks , Crown corporations are a different story

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Regarding promoting the most capable people .... sure, majority would, esp in hi tech private companies..... but Canadian banks , Crown corporations are a different story
Sorry I've been working in automotive and industry where the experience is predominantly "old white men".
The vast majority don't care about gender or accents. Some honestly have trouble with the accents, but they do try to work through it.

I've seen the similar accent problems with some white eastern European immigrants (lots of Romanians for example) as with non white immigrants from other areas. But again, that's a communication problem and most people are willing to try and work through it in my experience.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Because Canadians are too naive and buying Trudeau’s lies! There is also huge brainwashing in local schools... We’ve got huge Trudeau cult
I used to think that, and while it is true. Helped a lot by the ridiculousness of US politics.

There's also a problem, the opposition is having a lot of trouble providing a compelling vision.

Trudeau says "I'll take care of you and make a more fair world".
Opposition says "he's a liar and a theif and unethical"
People say "okay, you claim he's bad, but at least he's promising us stuff we want."

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ford-shuffles-cabinet-rod-phillips-174643270.html

Ford shuffles cabinet, Rod Phillips replacing Merrilee Fullerton as long-term care minister
Fri., June 18, 2021, 1:46 p.m.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is shuffling his cabinet, with former finance minister Rod Phillips — who resigned from his post following a Caribbean vacation during the COVID-19 pandemic — returning as the new minister of long-term care.

CBC News has learned that Phillips will replace Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, who will now serve as the minister of children, community and social services, according to a PC party source.

The move is part of a large-scale shuffle, which comes with just under a year to go before the next provincial election. The changes have not yet been announced officially, but are expected sometime Friday afternoon.

The Opposition NDP slammed Phillips's return to cabinet even before it was announced, with ethics and accountability critic Taras Natyshak saying in a statement that Ford kept Phillips "near and dear to him even after his elaborate St. Barts vacation coverup.

"Phillips jetted off to luxurious St. Barts, covering up his tracks as he went with pre-written messages, pre-recorded Christmas greetings, and a fake Zoom background, while the rest of Ontario hunkered down and followed public health advice to stay home over the holidays," Natyshak said.
... OMG ... I think Ford just ruined his term with this shuffling trick of his, especially bringing back someone whom he fired (disguised as resignation) previously. So Rod can perform better than Merrilee as Minister of LTC ... LMAO.

481 - 500 of 4720 Posts