Canadian Money Forum banner

421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Here's an idea: let's target programs based on socioeconomic status, and not loose proxies like race? Should Barack Obama be getting business grants for his Netflix productions based on his mixed race status over a poor Albanian immigrant starting a small business?
Whoa, needs based assistance? Like giving money to people who need it? Crazy.

Also I think race is such a loose proxy to suggest using it is simply acting on a false stereotype.
To think race is a determinant is racist.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I am not excusing the PM, I am just stating the obvious.
A private phone call by the PM to the friends and family of victims will be more helpful anyway.
A private phone call will only get a few votes, a big public stand thousands or millions.
One is way more helpful.

Remember Trudeau is horrible at pretty much everything... except politics. In politics he's a genius.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Or he could be a far left Nazi, who knows, that's what the trial is for.

Personally I think if you're trying to randomly kill people because of a religious, racial or political opposition to them it's a both a hate crime and terrorism.
or ANTIFA

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
It is imperative that Canada's leaders stand up against racism and denounce violence.

All the party leaders were in attendance at the mosque vigil.
I agree, it would be nice if Justin stood up against racism, instead of encouraging it with openly racist programs.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
A private phone call will only get a few votes, a big public stand thousands or millions.
One is way more helpful.

Remember Trudeau is horrible at pretty much everything... except politics. In politics he's a genius.
... remember he acquired the skills from being a drama teacher previously. This is not to say some people are born to be politicians with their in-bredded sneakiness.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
No doubt Trudeau's ability to communicate is enhanced by his education and experience, but his long list of accomplishments speak for themselves.

Just now, his government is reversing yet another Harper leftover........to reduce the time and cost of pardons for low level non violent crimes.

Say what they want about Trudeau, but results get votes and Trudeau's enduring popularity indicates that he has achieved the results people expect of a leader.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
No doubt Trudeau's ability to communicate is enhanced by his education and experience, but his long list of accomplishments speak for themselves.

Just now, his government is reversing yet another Harper leftover........to reduce the time and cost of pardons for low level non violent crimes.

Say what they want about Trudeau, but results get votes and Trudeau's enduring popularity indicates that he has achieved the results people expect of a leader.
Yes we know you like white supremacists like Trudeau, we get it.

As for pardons, I don't think we should subsidize ANY pardon.
You did the crime you do the time. If it's pardoned, you should pay the cost, not the taxpayer.

Also I don't care what crime it is, violent or non violent, we agreed as a society it meets the criteria for a criminal offense, it's a criminal offense.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
I don't know if we need to veer this thread into another political discussion. Or maybe take it to the politics thread.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I do not think that any political party in Canada has the edge on anti discrimination.

It was not that long ago the the Conservatives lost a great deal of election support, and possibly the election over their barbaric practices hotline announcement.

Or O'Toole's 'Take back Canada' slogan (aimed directly at the far right voters in the the Party) as part of his Conservative Leadership campaign.

The dog whistles have been out there in spades for the past several elections.

What federal politicians of either stripe commented widely about Quebec's religious symbols law?

I do not believe that one Party is any better than the other, or one Leader is more pious than the other.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I do not think that any political party in Canada has the edge on anti discrimination.

It was not that long ago the the Conservatives lost a great deal of election support, and possibly the election over their barbaric practices hotline announcement. Or O'Toole's cry to voters to 'Take back Canada'.

The dog whistles have been out there is spades for the past several elections.

What federal politicians of either strip commented widely about Quebec's religious symbols law?

I do not believe that one Party is any better than the other, or one Leader is more pious than the other.
There are people who actively mutilate the genitals of children acting in Canada, as part of their cultures.
It is not racist to call this barbaric, and there is nothing wrong with trying to stop this. Maybe the barbaric practices hotline wasn't the best approach, but did anyone present a better alternative?

I won't say one leader is better, but I think it is fair to attack a leader who takes obviously racist positions for holding those positions.

Honestly I'm really only following the CPC & Liberals because they're the two main parties right now, and I'm really only concerned with policies that are actually being put forward, or being implemented.
Right now the Liberals are promoting racism, if there is a specific CPC policy that's racist I'll eagerly condemn it as well.

However if it's a barbaric cultural practice, such as genital mutilation, I'll condemn it, even if you want to call me racist for doing so.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
There are people who actively mutilate the genitals of children acting in Canada, as part of their cultures.
It is not racist to call this barbaric, and there is nothing wrong with trying to stop this. Maybe the barbaric practices hotline wasn't the best approach, but did anyone present a better alternative?

I won't say one leader is better, but I think it is fair to attack a leader who takes obviously racist positions for holding those positions.

Honestly I'm really only following the CPC & Liberals because they're the two main parties right now, and I'm really only concerned with policies that are actually being put forward, or being implemented.
Right now the Liberals are promoting racism, if there is a specific CPC policy that's racist I'll eagerly condemn it as well.

However if it's a barbaric cultural practice, such as genital mutilation, I'll condemn it, even if you want to call me racist for doing so.
Neither Minster, Alexander or Leitch, could explain why the Barbaric Practices Hotline and why not the RCMP 1 800 number nor would they say if the RCMP had been consulted prior to this election announcement. RCMP went on record as knowing nothing about it even though they were supposed to be managing the program.

Chris Alexander, in an interview after he was out, admitted that he knew it was 'wrong' when asked by advisors in the PMO to make the announcement, he knew it was half baked for the then failing election campaign, and agreed that it was nothing more than a dog whistle to their base voters at a time when the polling was indicating a small minority at best, a probable loss. He was ashamed of his actions.

It was a shameful last ditch election effort that failed miserably. As it should have. It was the catalyst that pushed a lot of voters in tight urban ridings over the edge to walk from the Conservative Party.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Neither Minster, Alexander or Leitch, could explain why the Barbaric Practices Hotline and why not the RCMP 1 800 number nor would they say if the RCMP had been consulted prior to this election announcement. RCMP went on record as knowing nothing about it even though they were supposed to be managing the program.

Chris Alexander, in an interview after he was out, admitted that he knew it was 'wrong' when asked by advisors in the PMO to make the announcement, he knew it was half baked for the then failing election campaign, and agreed that it was nothing more than a dog whistle to their base voters at a time when the polling was indicating a small minority at best, a probable loss. He was ashamed of his actions.

It was a shameful last ditch election effort that failed miserably. As it should have. It was the catalyst that pushed a lot of voters in tight urban ridings over the edge to walk from the Conservative Party.
I don't think there is anything wrong with raising awareness of barbaric cultural practices occuring in Canada.

The only wrong part is screwing it up, losing an election, and silencing criticism of those barbaric practices. Failing to address them effectively likely resulted in them continuing longer, and that's the sad part.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with raising awareness of barbaric cultural practices occuring in Canada.

The only wrong part is screwing it up, losing an election, and silencing criticism of those barbaric practices. Failing to address them effectively likely resulted in them continuing longer, and that's the sad part.
The Conservative PMO election team hired an Australian political 'dog whistle' consultant who was supposed to help them in this very tight election.

He helped them loose.

Canadian voters apparently do no react the same way or perhaps in the same numbers to dog whistles as do Australian voters.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Days after attending the vigil in London and telling Muslims that he had their backs, Doug Ford's government blocked a Liberal private members motion that called for an end to Islamaphobia and all hate crimes.

Ontario Conservatives refuse to take the actions that would show they consider Islamaphobia and hate crimes as serious problems.

I think this will be final straw for Doug Ford's government hopes for re-election. People are demanding more than the government's condolences.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Days after attending the vigil in London and telling Muslims that he had their backs, Doug Ford's government blocked a Liberal private members bill that called for an end to Islamaphobia and all hate crimes.

Ontario Conservatives refuse to take action that shows they take Islamaphobia and hate crimes as serious problems.

I think this will be final straw for Doug Ford's government hopes for re-election.
The condemnations are useless.
Just ask Trudeau. He refused to condemn genocide of Muslims

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Days after attending the vigil in London and telling Muslims that he had their backs, Doug Ford's government blocked a Liberal private members bill that called for an end to Islamaphobia and all hate crimes.
Why should we single out Islam for special treatment in Canadian law when we could simply condemn all forms of systemic racism and religious intolerance?

ltr

·
Registered
15,074 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Conservative response that they didn't have time to "consider" the motion is laughable. What is there to consider ?

Canadians are asking themselves why Conservatives are in denial that Islamaphobia does unfortunately exist in Canada.

Even Erin O'Toole called out Islamaphobia at the mosque vigil, although he had previously voted against a similar motion.

Conservatives had no problem condemning actual genocide due to religion.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and most members of his cabinet abstained.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
The Conservative response that they didn't have time to "consider" the motion is laughable. What is there to consider ?

Canadians are asking themselves why Conservatives are in denial that Islamaphobia does unfortunately exist in Canada.

Even Erin O'Toole called out Islamaphobia at the mosque vigil, although he had previously voted against a similar motion.

Because this motion is useless and joke, Liberal just want to buy votes

421 - 439 of 439 Posts