Canadian Money Forum banner

401 - 420 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Doug Ford is refusing to release the results of an audit of the Ontario Lottery Corporation.

Ford is facing election next year and it looks like he is afraid of a similar scandal as the past Liberal government.

Even the usual favorable Toronto Sun media is demanding the release of the audits.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
It is a common tactic for white racists to attack programs that address racism........as some imagined form of racism against white people.

The underlying goal of the arguments against anti-racist policies, is to deflect in order to reject anti-racist policies.

To claim that white people are discriminated against based on race is a laughable argument, but is often all they have to cling to.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
It is a common tactic for racists to attack programs that address racism........as some imagined form of racism against white people.

The underlying goal of the arguments against anti-racist policies, is to deflect in order to reject anti-racist policies.

To claim that white people are discriminated against based on race is a laughable argument, but is often all they have to cling to.
That is not the claim.
The claim is that this program treats people differently because of their skin colour.

It is a racist policy. If it was anti-racist, it would be pursing EQUAL access for all races.

Really I have to ask you, what is wrong with simply having a business funding program to support all businesses?
You know an anti-racist, non discriminatory equal access program?

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been disadvantaged in obtaining loans.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been denied housing.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been denied jobs.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have higher rates of incarceration.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have poorer outcomes in education and health.

The list could go on and on.........

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Providing programs to help disadvantaged groups due to systemic racism, and extending the inclusion of everyone, would defeat the purpose and would support the continuation of racism. White people are not victims of systemic racism and never have been.

But for some the end goal is to protect white male priviledge at any cost, and so their animosity is towards anti-racist and gender equality policies.

The old guard should give it up already. The times have changed and they are living in the past when racial slurs and jokes were common and accepted by society and pin up photos of scantily clad women adorned the walls of many work places.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been disadvantaged in obtaining loans.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been denied housing.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have been denied jobs.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have higher rates of incarceration.

Provide evidence that due to their skin color, white people have poorer outcomes in education and health.

The list could go on and on.........
I am not claiming those things, so I do not have to provide evidence.
If you think those things are happening, please provide evidence.
Also if they are happening we should hold those responsible accountable.

I know these things do happen to some groups even today, and that when they come to light there are investigations, as there should be.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Providing programs to help disadvantaged groups due to racism, and extending the to inclusion of everyone, would defeat the purpose and would support the continuation of racim.

But for some that is the end goal, to protect white male priviledge at any cost, and so the animosity towards anti-racist and gender equality policies.

The old guard should give it up already. The times have changed and they are living in the past.......when racial slurs were common and pin up photos adorned many work places.
Discriminating by race is wrong.
For a good reason or a bad reason, it's wrong.

I understand you think that there is "good racism" and "bad racism", and that programs like this are "good racism" and should be allowed.
I disagree, I do not think we should allow any racism.

I support treating everyone equally irrespective of race or gender. The reason is, why don't you?
Do you really think that some races and genders aren't good enough and need additional help? << that's classic white male superiority, and a belief you seem to hold.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Lets be clear, there are racists out there.
There are people who think one race is better, or one race is weaker.

What we must to is reject that narrative.

White supremacists like sags and Trudeau don't think Blacks are capable of making it in business. So they create and defend racist programs to "help" the "black man".

If you think racism is the answer, exactly what is the question you're asking?

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Hundreds of years of systemic racism doesn't disappear magically from society.

The baseball games begin with the white team given a 100 run lead. To provide some equity in the results, the other teams are given 20 outs an inning.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Hundreds of years of systemic racism doesn't disappear magically from society.
The solution is to remove racism, not add more.

Think about it, you're just layering racism over racism rather than removing it.
Also unless you're removing it, how do you know when you have the "right balance" of "good" and "bad" racism?
How about not accepting racism anywhere?

What is wrong with just not being racist?

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Very good article how Canadian media incite antisemitism

This past weekend was a weekend unlike any other as Jews across Canada experienced a deeply disturbing display of violence, antisemitism and hate. Such was the degree of hostility; it calls into question the safety of Canada’s Jewish community. Lamentably, one-sided, biased media coverage of events in the Middle East is helping fuel this toxic situation.

Like many across the country, I watched in dismay and disbelief as anti-Israel protests in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal degenerated into ugly scenes of loathing.

At multiple demonstrations, police had to intervene as pro-Palestinian protestors targeted smaller groups of pro-Israel counter protesters with rocks and other projectiles, defiled Israeli flags with swastikas and then burned them for all to see, and chanted inciteful slogans like “Bomb Tel Aviv!” and “Death to Israel!” This is not the Canada I recognize.

In the GTA, Montreal and Edmonton protestors with Palestinian flags have targeted areas populated by Jews, actively seeking to harass and intimidate Jewish residents, already often on the receiving end of racist bile and worse.

According to Toronto Police Service, which has increased its patrols in Jewish neighbourhoods in recent days, Jews remain the minority group most targeted by hate crimes in the city, with a 43 per cent increase in antisemitic crimes recorded in the last year
. Recent events, baring a stark and disturbing reminder of how quickly tensions can escalate, also trigger ominous echoes from Toronto’s past.

The Christie Pits Riot is a dark stain on our city. Described by the Canadian Enclopedia as “one of the worst outbreaks of ethnic violence in Canada’s history,” the 1933 event reflected the antisemitism that was then so pervasive, with “No Jews Allowed” signs a common sight at restaurants, parks and public events. On Aug. 16, as thousands gathered at the Pits for a baseball game in which one of the teams was predominantly Jewish, Nazi sympathizers raised a swastika banner to the cries of “Heil Hitler,” setting off a massive brawl involving more than 10,000 people.

Even more prescient are the lessons imparted to us by Toronto’s beloved Holocaust survivor community, who as children, witnessed the storm clouds of hate gather and lead to the unfathomable murder of six million Jews across Europe at the hands of the Nazis and their collaborators. The legacy and lessons are clear — we must never be silent in the face of hate.

In recent days, I’ve been aghast, but not surprised, by the misinformation vilifying Israel as the sole aggressor in the conflict with Hamas. The media perpetuate this sadly familiar narrative that helps fan the flames of antisemitism in Canada and abroad.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Generally, to talk about antisemitism in Canada is not popular

The 21-year-old Montrealer, born in Jerusalem, initially spoke of singing and dancing at the rally. But any hope of a cheerful assemblage quickly gave way to fear and violence when, she said, men wearing Palestinian flags showed up and began throwing rocks at her and others adorned in Israeli flags.

“F–k you” and “f–k Israel” could be heard in a series of videos viewed by Global News as fights broke out between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian supporters. Montreal police confirmed they threw tear gas to disperse the crowds after several officers were injured — some by the objects that were thrown. Kletinich said she accidentally inhaled the tear gas, which burned her throat and eyes.

“I felt like I’m going to have to hide this fact that I was born in Israel for the rest of my life living in Canada, because it was just terrifying,” she said. “I couldn’t breathe.”

Exactly what my son is feeling!

Kletinich’s experience is not an isolated one. Multiple demonstrations across Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver resulted in police intervention earlier this month, as Nazi salutes, swastikas and burned Israeli flags appeared at some rallies, while counter-protesters violently disrupted some pro-Israel demonstrations.

According to the Anti-Defamation League Center on Extremism’s preliminary data, more than 17,000 tweets using variations of the phrase, “Hitler was right” went up between May 7 and May 14. The ADL’s analysis of Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram found “explicit praise for Hitler, promoting tropes about Jewish control and demonizing all Jews” including posts that used a racial epithet for Jewish people and called for “race war now.”

But who cares, Trudeau has a different agenda!

Statistics Canada found police-reported hate crimes against Jewish people accounted for the highest number of religious-based hate crimes in the country in 2019 at 296 incidents, while religious-based hate crimes against Muslims tallied at 181. ...
The B’nai Brith Canada 2020 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents reported a record 2,610 cases of anti-Semitism last year, up 18.3 per cent from 2019. This translates to roughly 217 incidents per month, 50 incidents per week, and seven anti-Semitic incidents per day — 44 per cent of which were violent.

In a statement released on May 16, B’nai Brith Canada said the number of anti-Semitic assaults recorded so far in May of 2021 “easily surpasses” the total for all of 2020.

But we hear only about "Islamophobia" from Liberal authoritarian government
[/quote]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a chance to visit a musem in Berlin regarding this topic (and multiple holocaust ones but that is beside the topic).
It was quite interesting on how the racism towards jews in 18-19th century actually made them more successful.
They were not allowed into craftmaker guilds - prestigious and lucrative career, so they were forced to walk from town to town to trade goods. Strenuous and dangerous trips. Of course during industrial revolution craftmanship got much less lucrative, meanwhile opposite happened to trade. The group that was forced to make it their way of life suddenly became quite wealthy.
The culture that values education definitely helped contribute to overall well-being.
Once a group becomes successful and has distinct characteristic, they are easy to hate. This is what happened in Germany during great depression. It was easy to blame successful people (sounds familiar?) and hate got strong enough that society supported holocaust.
No other group experienced such event because despite being different, they never were considered successful and for that reason you have more of a pity (and other form of racism - affirmative action) rather than wide-spread hate.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
It is a common tactic for white racists to attack programs that address racism........as some imagined form of racism against white people.

Here's an idea: let's target programs based on socioeconomic status, and not loose proxies like race? Should Barack Obama be getting business grants for his Netflix productions based on his mixed race status over a poor Albanian immigrant starting a small business?

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Here's an idea: let's target programs based on socioeconomic status, and not loose proxies like race? Should Barack Obama be getting business grants for his Netflix productions based on his mixed race status over a poor Albanian immigrant starting a small business?
Nice one :)
So, I understand that Canadian black guy Michael Lee-Chin with net worth 1.6 Billion should have preference over sags and his son who works in constructions LOL

401 - 420 of 439 Posts