Canadian Money Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2682 Posts

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
It would eliminate the propagation of political parties with a hate speech based agenda.

I recognize it would have an impact on those who seek to delve into hate speech.

But you know, some people want to rob banks and we don't allow that either.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
And hate speech is already illegal. You can prosecute those who propagate it under existing law.
But you are one of the useful idiots (or you actually want Canada to turn into Venezuela - would be nice if you clarified which is it) that happilyretired was referring to - you literally have a government that step by step destroys democracy, to the point they now would be able to choose who gets to run and who doesn't - yet you happily cheer along

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Maybe you could have a "chat" with these guys ?

They should turn themselves in to police before someone else finds them.

Perhaps unknown to the attackers, she is a prominent criminal defense lawyer in Toronto who defends some "not so nice" clients in courts.

Or maybe those two dummies are genetic defects incapable of understanding what the consequences for them may be.

There is another video to the one linked below, that shows they followed her down the street yelling obscenities and sexual references at her.

.. the shortie is definitely gonna be charged ... for assault. If I was his "friend", I would either stay far from him after this incident. Or call himself in to the cops if he had no part of that shortie's rabies.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
And hate speech is already illegal. You can prosecute those who propagate it under existing law.
But you are one of the useful idiots (or you actually want Canada to turn into Venezuela - would be nice if you clarified which is it) that happilyretired was referring to - you literally have a government that step by step destroys democracy, to the point they now would be able to choose who gets to run and who doesn't - yet you happily cheer along
If you could go ahead and post Venezuela's anti-hate laws, we could make a useful comparison judgement if such a law is a step towards damnation.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
From wikipedia:

"The law establishes the penalty of between 8 and 10 years in jail for officials who delay the prevention or punishment of a hate crime and for health personnel who refuse to treat a person for reasons of hate. Article 21 establishes sentences of up to 20 years in jail for those who incite hatred, discrimination or violence against a person or group of persons by any means, and Article 22 legalizes the blocking of any type of media that are considered to violate the law through their content. The law indicates that the person who disseminates a "hate message" (broadly defined or undefined in the Law) on social networks must delete it within six hours of its publication, or else must pay a fine ranging from 50 thousand to 100 thousand tax units.[3]

The law also allows for radio or television service provider that promote hate or war propaganda to revoke these, and notes that any media that does not actively broadcast messages "intended to promote peace, tolerance and equality" will be fined by up to 4% of their gross income in the fiscal year immediately preceding that in which the offense was committed. According to the law, the fine will be paid into the Social Responsibility Fund of Radio and Television.[3]

The law prohibits the activity of groups, movements and social organizations that do not comply with what is established in it. Similarly, Article 11 orders the National Electoral Council (CNE) to revoke the registration of political organizations that promote "fascism, intolerance or hatred towards national, racial, ethnic, religious, political, social, ideological, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or of any other nature." This article also states that the parties must have among their disciplinary rules a guideline on preventative measures against such hatred, and the penalty of expulsion of persons who contravene the law.[3]"

Unsurprisingly, they also censor private posts on social media (Bill C-11 in Canada) and also politically appointed official (National Electoral Council) in Venezuela and CEO of Elections Canada) have right to deregister political opponents, same as proposed in Canada.

Do you seriously not see an issue with official elected by government having power to unilaterally deregister and not allow opposition to run in elections???!!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
From wikipedia:

"The law establishes the penalty of between 8 and 10 years in jail for officials who delay the prevention or punishment of a hate crime and for health personnel who refuse to treat a person for reasons of hate. Article 21 establishes sentences of up to 20 years in jail for those who incite hatred, discrimination or violence against a person or group of persons by any means, and Article 22 legalizes the blocking of any type of media that are considered to violate the law through their content. The law indicates that the person who disseminates a "hate message" (broadly defined or undefined in the Law) on social networks must delete it within six hours of its publication, or else must pay a fine ranging from 50 thousand to 100 thousand tax units.[3]

The law also allows for radio or television service provider that promote hate or war propaganda to revoke these, and notes that any media that does not actively broadcast messages "intended to promote peace, tolerance and equality" will be fined by up to 4% of their gross income in the fiscal year immediately preceding that in which the offense was committed. According to the law, the fine will be paid into the Social Responsibility Fund of Radio and Television.[3]

The law prohibits the activity of groups, movements and social organizations that do not comply with what is established in it. Similarly, Article 11 orders the National Electoral Council (CNE) to revoke the registration of political organizations that promote "fascism, intolerance or hatred towards national, racial, ethnic, religious, political, social, ideological, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or of any other nature." This article also states that the parties must have among their disciplinary rules a guideline on preventative measures against such hatred, and the penalty of expulsion of persons who contravene the law.[3]"

Unsurprisingly, they also censor private posts on social media (Bill C-11 in Canada) and also politically appointed official (National Electoral Council) in Venezuela and CEO of Elections Canada) have right to deregister political opponents, same as proposed in Canada.

Do you seriously not see an issue with official elected by government having power to unilaterally deregister and not allow opposition to run in elections???!!
This legislation is promoting intolerance towards my political and ideological views, namely that we should have freedom of expresssion in Canada.
This EXTREME intolerance of my ideology in unacceptable.
I therefore call for the immediate expulsion of all supporters from their respective parties.

It's important to note that in general internal party policy is outside the reach of parliament, and this is done for a reason.

I think everyone should be scared at this attempt to stifle dissent. All the Americans who gave Obama power never thought it would end up in the hands of Trump.
They're giving all this power to Trudeau, thinking they can trust him and his successors to wield it fairly, that's a scary proposition.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
The Venezuelan law looks draconian to me, and I think the amendments to our hate laws are more appropriate.

I do believe that something has to be done to put some guide rails on the swampy parts of social media.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Oh......Candice Bergen is at it again.

Somebody said something to somebody who said something about something and Trudeau is guilty of heinoous crimes.

There is a credibility issue here, but it belongs to Bergen, who met and had a private dinner with organizers who demanded an overthrow of the government.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
It is essentially the same as Liberals are proposing
  • government appointee can decide which political party is allowed to run in election
  • CRTC is allowed to penalize and punish people for social media content.

The proposed laws are pretty much a carbon copy of what Venezuela has

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I think I will create a conspiracy website and YouTube channel for Canadians.

Dere’s gold in dem dare hills.
... I don't think you're "shrewd" enough to do that sags which includes me as well.

But if you do "manage to create one" - make sure you monetize (much like killing 2 birds with one stone) to ensure "all $ donations accepted".

Btw, I would be willing to share those $$$ for my retirement fund. Good luck!

LOL!!!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
It is essentially the same as Liberals are proposing
  • government appointee can decide which political party is allowed to run in election
  • CRTC is allowed to penalize and punish people for social media content.

The proposed laws are pretty much a carbon copy of what Venezuela has
And if the legacy media blocks a candidate in violation of elections laws, there is no penalty for doing so.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
The media would be expected to "block" hate speech as defined under the new amendments, which is in accordance with the latest Supreme Court rulings.

The point of the legislation is to provide clarity on what constitutes "hate speech" rather than leaving the decision to individuals, politicians, or media.

I would have thought conservatives would welcome the changes, but they are opposed to anything that restricts hate speech.

They are busy welcoming people to Parliament who post Nazi flags, racist views, government takeovers, and unacceptable content on social media.

They are truly lost in the wilderness.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
The media would be expected to "block" hate speech as defined under the new amendments, which is in accordance with the latest Supreme Court rulings.

The point of the legislation is to provide clarity on what constitutes "hate speech" rather than leaving the decision to individuals, politicians, or media.

I would have thought conservatives would welcome the changes, but they are opposed to anything that restricts hate speech.

They are busy welcoming people to Parliament who post Nazi flags, racist views, government takeovers, and unacceptable content on social media.

They are truly lost in the wilderness.
Outerwear Sunglasses Motor vehicle Sky Jacket

I believe the only person who welcomed Nazi flags was Christia Freeland. See photo above.

Can you show ANY evidence of any other MP welcoming a Nazi flag?
I think most Canadian MPs are, unlike Christia Freeland, NOT Nazi supporters.

Also as an activist and expert on Ukranian politics, don't tell me she doesn't recognize Ukranian Nazi groups.

Secondly the problem isn't hate speech, it's that they're going after non-hate speech.
It's okay to be white. << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.
People with penises are men << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.
womens rights are human rights << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.

You're likely old enough to remember Don Cherry getting hit for "hate speech" for noting that people of certain nationalities were more likely to wear visors.
Again a clear fact based statement in a discussion, THAT WAS TRUE!! he gets hammered for hate speech.
Now they literally want to criminalize discussing issues.

I'm not for hate speech. I'm just more for discussing issues. You can't do that if you criminalize opposition.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
^ The usual twistings in post #2537 and 2538 by our political unbiased expert MrMatt. If he can't get Trudeau, he moves on to Freeland ... and if attacking Freeland ain't enough, it's onto Don Cherry being the victim. I wonder who's next on with (t)his tennis game.

For one, how do these parts for a "political" opinion, let alone designating them as "non-hate" speech? Did someone say the person who considered another person with a "penis" is a man had spouted hate speech? Or was it the person who called another person with a "dick" as a man had spouted hate speech? There're distinctions between the two statements with the latter moving towards the area of hate speech ... which is dependent what else he spouted. The first one is natural biology (not withstanding transgendering or rewriting human biology) so how can it be even considered a "political opinion", let alone calling that "hate speech"?

Secondly the problem isn't hate speech, it's that they're going after non-hate speech.
It's okay to be white. << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.
People with penises are men << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.
womens rights are human rights << this is a political opinion, not hate speech.
And I love the summary of that post:

I'm not for hate speech. I'm just more for discussing issues. You can't do that if you criminalize opposition.
... by "discussions", you mean "twisting" right? And the declaration that the Opposition gets "criminalized" in the process ... when Freeland is promoting Nazism in welcoming refugees from a war which so happened to her country fellow-men/women. WOW, JUST WOW with that thinking.

Just admit it - you hate Trudeau and his ilks 'cause you don't agree with his policies.

Reactions: fstamand

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Freedumb convoy leaders to PM Trudeau....we demand discussions on the immediate resignation of your government to turn all power over to us.

Trudeau.......**** off you dummies.

Alt right conservatives to the media......Trudeau refuses to engage in discussions with the people.

Rest of Canada to the alt right conservatives......**** off you dummies.

In Canada.......[email protected] convoy has been trending on Twitter for days.

2521 - 2540 of 2682 Posts