Canadian Money Forum banner
2501 - 2520 of 2682 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Politics everywhere is getting more polarized.

National Rally got 89 seats in French Parliament
Nupes (coalition of communist party with greens) has 121
Macron has 245
Republican has 64.

It will be interesting if coalition forms or if they will govern on issue-by-issue basis

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Not sure if this is the thread to place this but then Ford is a politician.

OMG x 4 !!!!! I'm in SHOCK and rubbing my eyes seeing this headline. For a moment, I thought this was a Father's Day joke.

Premier Doug Ford marches in York region Pride parade

Since when did Ford become un-homophobic? Or is it a case of an old dog learning new tricks?
From the link provided

Ford last attended the region's Pride parade in 2019, arriving unannounced on that occasion as well.

Even more impressive is that it was unannounced. More people should do things without making it a media event in particular acts of charity. Perhaps it is just social media but it seems to me that charity for the sake of being a good Samaritan is rare these days without public recognition or a photo op. I know that anonymous donors are our there and for obvious reasons are off the public radar.

·
Registered
14,822 Posts
His comments that he has 'no problem' going to a Pride event and that the event is 'good for the economy' is hardly a ringing expression of support for the LGBT+ community. Imagine if he described Christmas that way!

·
Registered
857 Posts
His comments that he has 'no problem' going to a Pride event and that the event is 'good for the economy' is hardly a ringing expression of support for the LGBT+ community. Imagine if he described Christmas that way!
It's possible to support plenty of things, including Pride events without feeling the need to attend a parade. One of my best friends has a married lesbian daughter and she has never attended a Pride parade in her life.

Trudeau ignored the truckers, yet he kneeled with BLM protestors. So based on your reasoning, Trudeau supports far left thugs and hates peaceful protests.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
From the link provided

Ford last attended the region's Pride parade in 2019, arriving unannounced on that occasion as well.

Even more impressive is that it was unannounced. More people should do things without making it a media event in particular acts of charity. Perhaps it is just social media but it seems to me that charity for the sake of being a good Samaritan is rare these days without public recognition or a photo op. I know that anonymous donors are our there and for obvious reasons are off the public radar.
Ford doesn't announce because a lot of people REALLY don't like him.

I think he's honestly trying to be supportive, but understands he can be a distraction.

Well the "LGBT+ community" (add in 2SQ and a few letters to show you're with the times) is getting pretty crazy.

I think most people simply don't care about your personal relationship, and those who feel the need to be "accepted" have other issues to deal with.
Most people I know, in relationships of all types, really don't care, it's a non issue.

At sports there are a few kids with 2 moms, most people don't care.
"Which one is yours, wow they're playing well"

Look at that, no ringing expression of support, because guess what, they don't really need or want it. They just want to get on with their lives.

If you're so focused on sexual habits of strangers.. you're the one with a problem.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
From the link provided

... fair enough that he didn't make the announcement if he didn't want to. But he is a "public" figure and there're "questions" for such public figures from news reporters.

If I recall correctly from years ago, he was asked by news reporters as why he didn't attend the PRIDE parade in Toronto (a big major annual event). He "said" he didn't believe in such things (aka homosexuality). That's why I'm shocked to see him in a PRIDE event, even it's not in Toronto.

And if you read into the article, he claimed he didn't attend the TO PRIDE in 2019 only because the police (presumably TPS) weren't allowed to participate in that event so he won't attend. BS. Since when was the "police=TPS" Ford's jurisdiction? That's falls under Tory.

It's an old dog learning new tricks ... Ford is trying to be the "people's premier", moving "centrally" to the dismal of the rightists. His next step is to compete in the PM race comes next election. Don't know where PP will be though....LMAO.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think most people simply don't care about your personal relationship, and those who feel the need to be "accepted" have other issues to deal with.
Most people I know, in relationships of all types, really don't care, it's a non issue.

At sports there are a few kids with 2 moms, most people don't care.
"Which one is yours, wow they're playing well"

Look at that, no ringing expression of support, because guess what, they don't really need or want it. They just want to get on with their lives.

If you're so focused on sexual habits of strangers.. you're the one with a problem.
My friend's lesbian daughter has no interest in pride events and no interest in discussing her lifestyle. And she has no interest in my and my wife's relationship. To me, she's just someone I know named Liz. To her, I'm Happily Retired and my wife is Mrs. Happily Retired.

We get along just fine, something that some people just can't understand or don't want to accept.

·
Registered
857 Posts

Government of Canada working on giving itself power to deregister rival parties and not allow them to participate in elections.
The expected next step by a dictator like Trudeau. If he could have his way he'd jail all of the opposition and install himself for life.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts

Government of Canada working on giving itself power to deregister rival parties and not allow them to participate in elections.
The expected next step by a dictator like Trudeau. If he could have his way he'd jail all of the opposition and install himself for life.
I can't believe they are so blatantly following the authoritarian playbook.

The thing is most Canadians aren't hateful and don't support hate groups.

They're really doing this to try and find a way to shut down legitimate criticism.

Remember, facts are NOT a defense against a hate crime accusation. But that's by design.
Lets say you have a legitimate, honestly held concern, I think you have a right to voice it. Even if it makes people uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I can't believe they are so blatantly following the authoritarian playbook.

The thing is most Canadians aren't hateful and don't support hate groups.

They're really doing this to try and find a way to shut down legitimate criticism.

Remember, facts are NOT a defense against a hate crime accusation. But that's by design.
Lets say you have a legitimate, honestly held concern, I think you have a right to voice it. Even if it makes people uncomfortable.
Really? It was evident since April 2020 when they tried to push through enabling act and suspension of democracy.

Destroying democracy has been the only thing they actually have been consistent about

They are simply not hiding it anymore because they don't have to. War Measures Act introduced by public safety minister blatantly lying to the public.
Prime Minister walks around paraphrasing Hitler, calling people nazis, wondering whether some Canadians are worth the space they take up, and there is no pushback at all

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
My friend's lesbian daughter has no interest in pride events and no interest in discussing her lifestyle. And she has no interest in my and my wife's relationship. To me, she's just someone I know named Liz. To her, I'm Happily Retired and my wife is Mrs. Happily Retired.

We get along just fine, something that some people just can't understand or don't want to accept.
Maybe you could have a "chat" with these guys ?

They should turn themselves in to police before someone else finds them.

Perhaps unknown to the attackers, she is a prominent criminal defense lawyer in Toronto who defends some "not so nice" clients in courts.

Or maybe those two dummies are genetic defects incapable of understanding what the consequences for them may be.

There is another video to the one linked below, that shows they followed her down the street yelling obscenities and sexual references at her.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Really? It was evident since April 2020 when they tried to push through enabling act and suspension of democracy.

Destroying democracy has been the only thing they actually have been consistent about

They are simply not hiding it anymore because they don't have to. War Measures Act introduced by public safety minister blatantly lying to the public.
Prime Minister walks around paraphrasing Hitler, calling people nazis, wondering whether some Canadians are worth the space they take up, and there is no pushback at all
They've been at it a while, but to be so brazen is what is shocking me.

I honestly didn't think they'd go to actually banning and deregistering political opponents.
What's next, when are they going to send police to arrest opposition candidates.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
They've been at it a while, but to be so brazen is what is shocking me.

I honestly didn't think they'd go to actually banning and deregistering political opponents.
What's next, when are they going to send police to arrest opposition candidates.
No idea.

In the past they were going as far as citizens allowed them to go.

Suspension of democracy for 2 years - no outrage from citizens (SIngh stepped in)
State sponsored media - no outrage from citizens
Charter rights violation - no outrage from citizens
Paraphrasing Hitler - no outrage from citizens
Censorship Bill - no outrage from citizens
Ability to delegalize opposition - state sponsored media not reporting

One or two more steps and they simply won't even have to worry about citizens
That's why april 2020 was the time to stop them, but we missed it. Now it might be too late unless Singh steps in. Citizens no longer have a say

·
Registered
857 Posts
And it appears that some people are so stupid that they really believe that after the people they don't like are banned or have their rights taken away that they won't be next?

There's a reason they're called useful idiots.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Nope..........the people who support bans on hate speech are quite capable of expressing themselves eloquently without resorting to it.

Most people would question the motives of anyone who opposes restriction on hate speech.

2501 - 2520 of 2682 Posts