Canadian Money Forum banner
2161 - 2175 of 2175 Posts

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Conservatives shouldn't just mean conserve 100 year old values. Demographics are changing and the conservative party needs to change as well
You're right, we should be conserving values that have been developed and stood the test of time for hundreds or thousands of years.

Humanity has known for THOUSANDS of years that free speech and debate are critical to a healthy society.
Many other basic concepts of western civilization are just as important.

What "new values" should be conserved? Nihilism?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I didn't say anything about new values

I mean conserving old values is distinct from a luddite who thinks all new innovation comes from the devil

Remove the judgmental social conservatism and fairy tales from politics though

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I didn't say anything about new values

I mean conserving old values is distinct from a luddite who thinks all new innovation comes from the devil

Remove the judgmental social conservatism and fairy tales from politics though
Like what?
That crimes should be punished? Or at least remove the criminals from peaceful society to protect us?
Is that the judgmental social conservativism you don't like?

The problem is that too many people don't have the proper respect for the fundamental foundations of our society.
They literally want to tear it all down and build something new, without quite grasping exactly what they want to destroy.

Now I agree that some social conservatives are going too far, but they really are a rarity IMO.

That being said I'm not really conservative as much as liberal, but the goalposts have shifted.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Now I agree that some social conservatives are going too far, but they really are a rarity IMO.
Varies by region. They'd probably come out of the woodwork if given a chance but they are also a dying breed

That being said I'm not really conservative as much as liberal, but the goalposts have shifted.
Bigot!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Kim Campbell expressed her displeasure with the state of CPC today on CTV's Question Period.

I don't have fond memories of her short stint as PM but I saw her a few years ago on Real Time and was impressed with her clarity and though process. Now she is calling out the state of the CPC party in an eloquent way.

This makes me wonder if my impression of Campbell was entirely biased by the turd sandwich that was Brian Mulroney.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Kim Campbell expressed her displeasure with the state of CPC today on CTV's Question Period.

I don't have fond memories of her short stint as PM but I saw her a few years ago on Real Time and was impressed with her clarity and though process. Now she is calling out the state of the CPC party in an eloquent way.

This makes me wonder if my impression of Campbell was entirely biased by the turd sandwich that was Brian Mulroney.
Yeah, bringing in NAFTA and massive benefits, what a turd.

He should have spent more time trying to destroy Canada like the Trudeaus.

I don't think Kim Campbell ever had a chance due to political anger.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
I'm strongly considering buying a Conservative Party membership. I currently don't have any membership in any party.

Think I may become a Conservative member, and vote. I want a good candidate to win, otherwise the party will be ruined.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I'm strongly considering buying a Conservative Party membership. I currently don't have any membership in any party.

Think I may become a Conservative member, and vote. I want a good candidate to win, otherwise the party will be ruined.
I bought a membership for the first time. There's only a few more weeks to sign up

I might even donate the maximum amount this year which I have never considered before

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
I bought a membership for the first time. There's only a few more weeks to sign up

I might even donate the maximum amount this year which I have never considered before
Honest question though: is there any point to buying a membership?

There are very organized special interest groups, like religious groups, pro lifers etc who rally their members to do this in an organized way. Wouldn't their organized influence on the Conservative party far outweigh individuals?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Honest question though: is there any point to buying a membership?
Probably not. Probably no point to donating either.

I voted for Trudeau solely for his promise of electoral reform. He failed me and many others miserably but I think we will see a lot of changes to the mechanics of governance in the coming decades. As the generations change and the Queen passes on the crown we need to look at our systems and start asking if it's time to upgrade some things. Especially when you look at what's happening in the US

We are experimenting with on-chain governance now and it will take time but we are overdue for an open and transparent process that can be verified by any voter

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

It depends. This is not a one vote one member leadership election. Each riding has 100 votes. So, a riding with 2000 members has the same number of leadership votes as a riding with 150 members, or even one with 50. Each vote has different value base on this.

If you are in the former your vote will not count for much. If you are in the latter....well a very tiny chance. Then there is the issue of ranked ballots...and voting blocks.

I would save your money. Buy a lottery ticket.

I would like to see a strong opposition party ready to form a Government. Unfortunately we have not had one for at least the past two elections. So much division. Seems to be getting worse with the pointless discussions about pro choice, supporting the Freedom Convoy, crypto currency, firing the Bank of Canada Governor.

Voters expect more, much more. This underlines to me how they do not appear to have any conservative economic policy. I am going to try to tune into the French debate. I cannot be any worse than the last two.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
If you are in the former your vote will not count for much. If you are in the latter....well a very tiny chance. Then there is the issue of ranked ballots...and voting blocks.

I would save your money. Buy a lottery ticket.

I would like to see a strong opposition party ready to form a Government. Unfortunately we have not had one for at least the past two elections. So much division. Seems to be getting worse with the pointless discussions about pro choice, supporting the Freedom Convoy, crypto currency, firing the Bank of Canada Governor.
You're probably right, but I'm frustrated. This may surprise some of you but I'm not a "Liberals no matter what" kind of person. Over the years, I have voted for 3 different parties in federal elections. I want a viable Conservative party. Our political system needs good parties and a solid opposition. It's healthy for the nation.

The Conservatives could be much stronger if they just dropped all these juvenile causes and dumb social conservatism. Drop the MAGA crap and drop the "outrage". Stop taking cues from the American right (a movement that's losing their minds).

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Again. Which policies from last federal election platform were 'MAGA' or 'Socially Conservative'?

Asking about policies and facts. Seems like more and more people simply ignore those and instead focus on narrative from state-sponsored media

2161 - 2175 of 2175 Posts