Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 644 Posts

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Harper said very explicitly that he wants to pursue a religious demographic as part of the voter base, and has made direct attempts to appeal to them. This is exactly what the Republicans did starting with Reagan as well.

Just like an islamist, (swapping the religion) Harper directly appealed to a fundamentalist Christian supporters to gain and preserve political power. There are a variety of policies this impacted, but it definitely played into his middle east warmongering policies, plus his not to subtle anti-Muslim policies.

Absolutely, it's very bad stuff. Harper's aggressive middle east policies put Canada in harm's way, endangered our soldiers, resulted in over 100 deaths of our soldiers, weakened the rights & freedoms of citizens with Muslim backgrounds and even weakened the citizenship rights of many Canadians.

Trudeau immediately put an end to many of those policies. He not only promised to, but he reversed some of Harper's most disgusting policies as soon as he was elected.
Interesting you didn't identify a single policy.

I don't think we should have been in Afghanistan, but since we were there, we were obligated to remain and help rebuild and stabilize.
You can't just overthrow a government and take off.
So I agree, it was a bad decision for Chretien to deploy to Afghanistan, but once there we (Harper) was obligated to clean up that mess.

FWIW, I think Chretien was arguably right to deploy to Afghanistan, to save face from not deploying to Iraq.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
What I really want to know... and journalists must find out... is, do the Conservatives still model themselves after the Republicans, like Harper wanted to do?

This is a very important question. The Republicans no longer believe in basic democracy. They overtly try to steal elections, try to get a dictator into power, and cover for him. They have given up on pretending that they believe in the American constitution, or in western democracy.

I want to know where the Conservatives stand on it. Do they plan to do something similar in Canada? So far they have been imitating everything the Republicans do.
Sorry, Canada has pretty good election laws, though some seek to undermine them by switching to insecure online voting.

Anyone who is for insecure elections is against democracy.
Today it's the lefties who want insecure elections, therefore they're the ones against democracy.

Online voting can NOT facilitate secure secret ballots.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
As far as politics, the problem is we have people who don't want open conversation, so they engage in repeated smears and attacks of all sorts.
They've even weaponized open debate through "hate speech" and "cancel culture".

The goal isn't a free and open democracy, it's an authoritarian state where dissent isn't tolerated.

If you criticize the racist and sexist policies of the government, or an advocacy group, THEY will call you a racist.
It's nuts and backwards and regressive.

Easiest example
Black Lives Matter, absolutely true, however it is loaded with overtones that some or even many people disagree with such an obvious statement.
All Lives Matter, also absolutely true, however some see it as a disagreement of BLM ( I don't see how), while others see it as a statement of acknowledgement and inclusion.

The government, and large companies are implementing gender and race quotas, this is outright discrimination, yet they not only allow it, they want more discrimination.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
If you criticize the racist and sexist policies of the government, or an advocacy group, THEY will call you a racist.
It's nuts and backwards and regressive.
FYI, I've been called racist and other things multiple times, without evidence.

That's their favourite tactic, attack people they disagree with, give them a label, then dismiss them because of the label you apply. Never mind that the label isn't accurate. It doesn't matter, they don't want discussion, it scares them.

As one highly educated person I know said.
"I don't want to discuss this anymore, because you're probably right and I don't want to change my opinion", I think this has been endorsed as official lefty policy.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
American conservatives are enemies of western democracy. We need to know if Canada's Conservatives align with the Americans, or not.
Sorry, but that's bordering on political hate speech.
Conservatives who don't support democracy are by definition not Conservatives.

Myself I'm more of a liberal, which really isn't well represented in modern politics, but the CPC come closest.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
It's completely accurate to say that people who directly subvert and dismantle democratic systems are enemies of western democracy.

It's like saying that someone who blows up bridges is an enemy of bridges. It's a statement of fact.

Most Republican supporters (especially MAGA) have been trying to overthrow democracy. Therefore, they are enemies of the western democratic system.
Correct
However conservatives are not trying to subvert and dismantle democratic systems, neither are liberals.
It's the extremists on the left and right who are trying to destroy democracy.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
It's completely accurate to say that people who directly subvert and dismantle democratic systems are enemies of western democracy.
So, given that Trudeau, has directly attempted to subvert democratic systems, I guess you'd call him an enemy of western democracy?

I wouldn't, I think he's a horrible person, and while I think he's gone too far, I wouldn't apply that label.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
It's called an election gibor. This was a fair election. This isn't like Russia where Putin makes up the results and then has all his political enemies killed.

As much as you might like Putin as czar, and Trump dictatorship, that's not what America does.
No there are just millions of ballots cast without ID verification.
But nothing to see here, move along

The fact that there is a very sharp partisan split on those who want to confirm the voter is voting legally, and those who don't is very concerning to me.

To be clear, I am not saying that anything illegal happened, just that in many states, they did not check ID to vote in the last election.
Wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of spreading disinformation.

Also I consider it borderline manipulation to alter election laws to facilitate your desired outcome.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Don't BS ...even by western independent polls, 80%+ support Putin... btw, more than 85% of Israelis with Russian citizenship voted for Putin last elections...

you don't as in any case you gonna vote for your Liberal Dictator JT
To be fair, if I was Russian, I expect I would "support" Putin too.
Being in an NDP riding, adjacent to several Liberal ridings I see the benefits of voting for the party in power here, I imagine the incentives might be more pronounced in other jurisdictions.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
There have been no significant levels of voting fraud in either Canada or the US. Even Trump's Attorney General, Barr, said explicitly: this election was perfectly secure and there was no widespread voting fraud. That's Trump's man who said that! Top DHS and FBI officials said the same.
Please cite your quote that "this election was perfectly secure"

No evidence of, but of course they're not looking very hard for it.
FFS they didn't even check their ID.
I don't see why one should worry about when there hasn't actually been any demonstrated voting fraud at any significant level.

The Republicans demanded recounts all over the place. The results did not change, except I think Trump actually lost some votes during the recounts.

There are much bigger concerns. Specifically, Trump tried -- repeatedly -- to overturn the election results unfairly, using a variety of techniques. He tried to steal the election the way a dictator would, through trickery and abuse of power.

Voter fraud demonstrated? No, nothing meaningful.
A crooked president trying to overturn the election? YES - this actually happened.

So logically, one must focus on the second problem. That means looking at how Trump tried to overturn the election, criminally prosecuting him, and strengthening the system.
What's the second problem?
Didn't the system work as intended?
He didn't overturn the election, so what needs to be fixed?

If you don't confirm if a voter is legally eligible to vote, there is a potential for voter fraud.
It's pretty obvious to everyone that is the case.

I'm all for prosecuting someone for crimes they committed, however they've gone after Trump twice, and it's looking increasingly politically motivated.

I'd love for Trudeau to be prosecuted for his alleged crimes, but we know that is never going to happen.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
There is possibility of fraud, even if nothing happened. Can not buy booze or smoke without ID, but ok to vote. Seems crazy to me.
People whose candidate lost will point to all this because from their point of view these loopholes were left there to favor one candidate.
That's why it is important to address these issues.
We know one party doesn't like voter verification, and they happened to win.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
This is more right wing propaganda.

As usual, you are stretching the truth. The Republicans have been actively doing voter suppression for a long time, targeting minority communities which tend to not vote for them.

The Republicans always try to make it harder for minorities and marginalized groups to vote. This is a deliberate election manipulation tactic to solidify their votes from wealthy white people and try to suppress votes from non-whites, and poorer people.

They spin it as election safety, which is what you're posting about here. That's not really what it's about. These are the old tricks of the Republicans for how to subvert democratic systems.
I'm not stretching the truth.

I think voter verification is an important part of a legitimate election. No stretching required.

I also think voter suppression is a problem as well. But the idea that non-whites can't get ID is laughable, and racist.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
It's sad to see people showing so little faith in Canada. Maybe we can create a forum section for people to complain about how the country will collapse. I know who will be posting there :)

I've heard these kinds of comments over the years, and observed that they come from cynicism and deep-rooted negativity. It's also very common among American conservatives in particular.
You have people attacking the fundamental western liberal institutions of our society, so yes there is a problem.
Also conservatives care about the foundations of society (it's what they want to conserve), so yeah, they'll be upset about it.

There are people who are literally trying to "remake" society. They no only don't want to preserve the fundamental institutions of our society,they want to destroy them.

Our current system isn't perfect, but it's objectively much better than any other system in human history.
I do want to improve it, I just don't support tearing it down until we have an improved system ready to replace it. That doesn't end well.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Yes we do have people attacking actual democracy itself. Republicans have given up on fair democracy and now prefer to have a dictator in charge... they even tried to illegally seize power just a couple months ago!

This obviously isn't true, since American conservatives tried repeatedly to overthrow democratic elections.

At least in the US, many conservatives no longer believe in the system of western democracy or the US constitution. They are clearly not trying to preserve the foundation of their society.
I think you're mixing things up.
The people who are trying to destroy our society are not conservative, or liberal.
The US Republicans claim to be "conservative", but in many ways they're not. The Canadian Liberals claim to be "liberal" but in many ways they are not.

I think all the major political parties are broken to various degrees in various ways.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
I agree with you here, but the Republican Party decided to go with Trump. They even had the opportunity to impeach Trump and prevent him from ever running again. Several Republicans wanted to of course. In the end, they decided not to do that either.

This is why I think the Republican Party has passed the point of no return.

I wouldn't be so sure. I was living in the US when the Trump phenomenon started, and everyone was very dismissive about the whole thing.

My advice is, don't be complacent. Canada has many of the same trends that led to Trump. And even among my own friends, I know at least one Canadian who has recently lost his mind and turned into full-blown MAGA nut.
The Liberals have had innumerable opportunities to turf Trudeau.
They didn't do so, because they think he can deliver votes.

While they have problems, I don't think either the Republicans or Liberals have reached the point of no return.

it's funny, when you say Trump and Republican, you can swap in Trudeau and Liberals, and it still fits.
Of course there are obvious exceptions, Trudeau participates in protests against his own government, I can't imagine Trump ever doing that.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Not a fan of his, but the party supports climate initiatives and pro-choice. Cons will be hard pressed to make inroads with young people (climate) and women (abortion). Whatever the Cons say, they have a ways to go in making people believe they are in favour of these policies.
The issue is that Conservatives are more concerned about the environment than climate change.

Also Conservatives aren't pushing abortion restrictions.
I'm personally pro-abortion, but I think we have to fix things.
1. Informed consent
2. Do something about gender selective abortion.
3. Also updating guidelines on partial birth abortions would be nice. I won't even get into the "post birth abortion" disaster.
If the baby is half out, and able to live on it's own, killing it is murder.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
I’m university educated and admittedly don’t care much for climate change and environmental issues.....but they are the same thing in my head.
Actually that's the problem.
For many people they've somehow confused "climate change" for "the environment.

And really climate change isn't even about climate change.
it's an excuse for a massive wealth redistribution scheme.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Quebec "has nothing in common with most of Canada" even more....:), actually most of provinces has a little in common :).
Personally, I don't care if I live in country called Ontario or called Canada ... I care more about Cuba (where I've been 30 times) than about some PEI, NL or NTW (where I've never been and not planning to go to)..
P.S. Actually if AB separate, we may move there!
I think Canada has distinct regions with distinct views etc.
Ontario and Toronto/GTA are very different

I knew a guy from out east, and actually listened to him talk about EI, and how their seasonal industries use it.
It would make an Ontario factory worker furious. You can read up on it, but to summarize, his arguement was that the purpose of EI was to fund his annual layoff.
In Ontario the feeling is EI is for when you unexpectedly lose your job.

There are actually different cultures and ideas across the country

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
There are different "realities" across the country.

I doubt many people from the Atlantic Provinces prefer EI over a year round steady job if they were available.

Some occupations are seasonal work by their nature. Tourism and fishing as examples.

Apparently you think people who do those jobs are lazy and work those jobs so they can collect EI.

That is what the Harper government said.........and the reason they never won a seat in Atlantic Canada.

If you call people lazy freeloaders........don't expect them to vote for you.
No I didnt say they were lazy. Again, assigning a position that I don't hold. I wonder if you're actually able to discuss an issue without misrepresenting my position.

I was pointing out a cultural difference.

1 - 20 of 644 Posts