Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Russia knows they can do what they want again without consequences. They took over Crimea when Biden was VP, now they are slowly pressuring Eastern Ukraine when Biden is president. There will be angry words, some sanctions, but ultimately it will end up the same as Crimea.
Russia really has no choice since there is water shortage in Crimea and they need to venture into Ukraine in order to take over the dam throttling the water flow to Crimea, or at least pressure Ukraine enough to release the water. Also, Putin needs to show strength to cover up for economy which isn't doing particularly well, although with hydrocarbon prices going up he has been given some leeway

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yeah. Same way as 'greater good' is sanitization of segregation, charter rights violation, and ultimately stigmatization of some social groups. Now you have elected politicians calling anyone who disagrees with them racists and nationalists, etc. Things are looking extremely similar to early 1930s and society just cheers on from the sidelines. "So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause"

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Some good news......more money coming for seniors........

Canadians on OAS who will be 75 or older as of June 2022 are in for a one-time $500 payment in August 2021, if the government gets its way. ... This would provide additional benefits of $766 to full pensioners in the first year and impact around 3.3 million seniors, the government said.

How Canada’s federal budget affects benefits, taxes, and the minimum wage

The budget was passed by the Liberals and NDP, so seniors should receive this benefit in August.

The Conservatives voted against the budget and giving the extra OAS money.......so seniors should remember that when it is time to vote.
The day when bribing people with their own money isn't an effective method to get elected is the day when I finally restore faith in society.
The answer to every single legitimate question over last 18 months can't be ...........but CERB

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Same with inquiring whether a couple from Canadian lab sold secrets to Wuhan isn't racist, yet that is what the drama teacher claimed during recent question period. Unfortunately politics is going wrong way, and that's how we end up with incompetent leaders

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yes, I am referring to the very same statement put in the context of a question that it was in response to.
You have to show the question as well if you are quoting an answer.

It really doesn't bother you that each question period looks like this:

Q: Why are bonuses given to sexual harassers?
A: We are feminists

Q: Why do we have highest deficit in G20 and over hundreds of billions of dollars misappropriated by the government
A: but CERB

Q: Over 20% of small business will not reopen after government intervention
A: but CERB

Q: Why does Canada fund military lab in China?
A: Stop being racist

Q: Why does Canada shares SARS virus with said lab?
A: Stop being racist

Q: Do you condemn genocide
A: Abstain from answer.

Q: Corruption
A: Stop the government during the pandemic

It has been like that for past 2 years and literally nothing changes.
Yes, saying 'we are feminists', 'stop racism' is great. Saying it in face of those questions rather than addressing issues is idiocy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I never got a feeling that he was defending Russia in his post, did you?
All he claimed is that stable leader of antagonistic country is preferable choice over an unstable leader of antagonistic country.
Vast majority of his points have merit, and it would be nice if you disagreed with his post by tackling actual arguments presented.
The one I disagree is with trying to make oligarchy fully accepted. It will not be, and it can't be for political reasons. Of course that money will be allowed to circulate since after all, countries care about nothing but money and power, but there will be no public deals that acknowledge validity of the system as it would not be politically popular move.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
That is a valid assumption though looking at history, and how politically beneficial it is for the west to antagonize Russia, and how beneficial for Russian politicians it is to antagonize the west.

I also strongly disagree on the second point. Yeltsin was slightly warmer toward the west than his predecessors, but to say he was less antagonistic than Putin imho would be bit too much. There was plenty of Russian agression in the 90s.
And like gibor mentioned, Putin is cold and rational. The reason that it acts up on its borders isn't because they had no such ambitions before. It is because now they know that all west is going to do about it is 'condemn with the strongest words'. Putin knows who the leaders in the west are and how they would react.
Realistically, do you think that if he walked into Donbass couple months ago then anyone would react?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
US respond in kind? You kidding, right?
During which administration Russia invaded and took over Crimea? Was invading sovereign country and taking over its territory not enough prodding yet?

I understand you parade around with pompoms and cover your eyes, but when administration allows for its ally country being invaded and lose its territory without reacting, some hack isn't going to get a response either. Need at least a little bit of objectivity.

If you still claim otherwise, then give me a timeline of when those power plants are going to be shut down and I am willing to place a bet on it

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am sure there were some stern words and condemnation somewhere.

'It may only be a brief news headline that all the energy plants suddenly went down in Russia in the winter.....but it will be a clear message to Putin.' - if you find a media that claims there was a sudden power outage in entire Russia then you win.

Also, I have friends all over the world, including St. Petersburg and Moscow. Will ask them to inform me of such instance

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Gibor, I am not going to discuss the history as it is inconsequential here. We aren't discussing the validity of Russian claim to Crimea.
We are discussing a reaction (well, lack of) from Obama/Biden administration to military intervention from Russia in Ukraine. It is objective fact that at the time of the invasion Crimea was a part of Ukraine.
It is objective fact that military, either Russian or supported by Russia, entered Crimea.
It is objective fact that Crimea has been annexed and is now under control of Russia.
It is objective fact that administration did nothing about it and allowed the entire process to complete.

The interpretation of constitutionality of the transfer can be debated and therefore can muddy the waters that without it remain very clear - Russia annexed Crimea and Obama/Biden administration did nothing about it

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Biden's new sanctions in April are really hurting the Russians. They now pay 7% interest on their 10 year government bonds.

Capital has fled the country and their access to many goods are blocked. The pressure is mounting on Putin.

There is a new sheriff in town and his name is Joe.
Russian 10 year bond has lower yield now than it did during Trump presidency.
It fell a lot right after US elections.
I understand having certain agenda, but pointing out facts that are exactly opposite to what you are trying to accomplish is not helpful.

The drop is not surprising either seeing that Hunter Biden and his father had dealings with ex-soviet republics during his time in the office:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
With all the discussion about recent discovery of mass grave in residential school, and government blaming the church, church blaming the government, etc. there is one elephant in the room that no-one talks about.

Government of Canada decided that residential schools don't violate human rights.
This same institution is still allowed to make those decisions.
It is time that human rights in Canada are set in stone, and aren't optional.
Charter of Rights and Freedoms is here to protect citizens from those in power - and it turns out it can be simply ignored by the very people in power based on arbitrary, unilateral decision.
Human rights aren't optional and it is time that Canadian constitution reflects that

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
At the risk of sounding overly antagonistic (not completely by accident)
Lets assume that the intent was to provide a quality education to a historically disadvantaged ethnic group.
To do this based upon racial lines is explicitly permitted (if not encouraged) under the racist Charter of rights created by Trudeau.

Myself I think that as a "free" country, they should have, and should always have the right to opt out of this.

However the racists decided that this group should not be allowed to decide opt out.
I think it is telling that Trudeau actually included a clause that discrimination IS acceptable based on the intent.

This is why racist government policies, even if they are "well intentioned" must be roundly rejected. Racism is wrong.
I am bit confused. Why did you make it a racist or white-nationalism issue? Of course that is a massive problem, but sadly relatively unsolvable. What we can do is limit the power of racists to hurt others.
The root cause is the unlimited power of the Government to break human rights.
That power is given to the government by Charter of Rights and Freedom being optional in Canada, where the government can unilaterally decide to violate human rights.
That power needs to be removed. Human rights should be set in stone, and not a single institution should ever have an option to simply ignore and violate human rights.
Now the institution that created residential schools and conducted genocide in Canada still has a power to make a decision to violate human rights - that is a problem

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Because the residential school program was openly racist.
They decided that the "Indians" were too dumb to know what's good for them, so they used the full power of the state to lock children away where some were abused and killed.

FWIW I have no idea what portion "some" is, more than 0%, less than 100%. I think it was too many, but of course I think a single death or bit of harm in support of a racist agenda is unacceptable.

Yes. I say start with banning racial discrimination.

Absolutely, the sad part is they think that the problem isn't their racism, it's that "the implementation was flawed".
No argument at all. The entire institution was racist. That's the motivation behind them.
The reason behind the schools existing is because Government of Canada had the power to violate human rights of indigenous people. The Government of Canada still has that power today if they wish to use it.

Racial discrimination is banned. Section 15 in Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The problem is that the Government has a right to make arbitrary decisions to ignore and violate the charter - including the section banning racial discrimination. I believe that power should be taken away from them.

And also agree with your last point. The entire discussion is absolutely disgusting and focuses on shifting blame rather than solving the causes of the problem

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think the first step is to make sure it doesn't happen again - that means remove the power from the institutions to violate human rights.
That in itself will resolve issue of acting on racism, as human rights prohibit discrimination based on race.
It will not resolve racism itself - mitigation and reduction of racism is a long process, but we can immediately stop acting based on racism (racist tendencies and behavior will be cognitively stopped either through upbringing (prefferably), and if not then through illegality and prosecution of such actions).

Imho without holding human rights above everything else, we will never resolve the problem no matter how many tears, apologies, or finger pointing will be done by politicians and other organizations. Human rights can't have optionality clause

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Catholic Church of course has to be held accountable.
It needs to be accountable for not refusing to do the task that government assigned to them.
It wasn't catholic church though that took children away from their parents by force
It wasn't catholic church that used their power for racist purposes
It was government of Canada.
Without Government of Canada having the power to abuse human rights, the residential schools wouldn't exist.
Without catholic church' participation the schools would still exist - not all of them were ran by church. Government would simply have another organization do their bidding.
And I am not defending the church by any means. They are way to closed-minded for my liking. The residential schools are responsibility of the government though.

Government needs to have their right to abuse human rights taken away. Human rights need to be protected in Canada and not be optional

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am sorry but what is this statement:
"The fail to recognize the existence of possible clashes of human rights and the solutions provided"?

There are two issues here:
  • solutions that violate human rights aren't solutions - they are problems
  • the only arbitrator for when human rights can be violated is the very entity that does the human rights violation - the very entity that created residential schools. Why should such entity have a right to violate human rights again? They did it already and that led to genocide. Or are you suggesting that the right not to be exterminated because of your race or beliefs is somehow a clash to a provided solution?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The Catholic church is wholly responsible for what occurred in the schools under their care and direction.

It is past time for shifting blame to others. The government set up a terrible system which members of the Catholic church encouraged, embraced and implemented.
Residential schools wouldn't exist if Government of Canada didn't implement them. How can you not hold them accountable for that?
Church is accountable as well, but to say it is wholly responsible is blatant falsehood.
Residential schools wouldn't exist if Government of Canada didn't create them

1 - 20 of 475 Posts