Canadian Money Forum banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
My friends were a very close knit "hunting group" who applied for moose tags all over so they had a chance to hunt together every year.

They let me tag along on trips because I didn't hunt and didn't have a gun, so they didn't have to "babysit" me.

I would ride the back trails on my ATV with them until they stopped and went into the forest. Then I headed back to the camp.

They told me to always keep my orange vest on and ride directly back to the camp for the day.

Do not go wandering around in the woods in case of an angry bear or an idiot with a gun......they told me.

So I would ride back, clean up around the camp, chop some firewood, stoke up the woodstove, relax and start supper when it started to get dark.

They would get back and we had a great time over supper, a few drinks and the telling of a lot of tall tales.

I fully appreciate their love of hunting and the outdoors. They hunted for deer, moose, and turkey together. I only went on the moose hunts with them.

The issue I have with guns.....is some people think everyone is responsible enough to own one. That is simply not the case.

I also know of guys who went hunting with other hunting groups and just liked walking around the woods in a hunting outfit with a gun.

They wouldn't know what to do with it if they had shot a moose. I heard stories of them shooting at the sound of a rustle in the woods.

Guns are serious business for serious people only. Gun ownership should be considered a privledge not a birthright.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
... ah, I didn't say ban "sports". I said ban gun sports. Aren't we talking about guns-shooting as a sport?
Handgun sports specifically.

The truth of the matter is gun-lovers who take on that "hobby" as a sport is the most self-centered 'cause they can't think of the consequences of what a gun can do when it gets in the wrong hands. And please spare me with the "responsible" gun owners bit.
I can't speak for them but I personally don't know any of them that would like to ban a sport they don't take part in. Obviously you can as you state gun lovers don't think of consequences. :)

... no, I don't want to hear from the police when you said (below) so I want to hear it from you:
no idea, I would want to here from experts in the field (like the police) to make an imformed decision.

... I'm not upset but just that society ain't gonna to improve when we have continuous mentalities like these. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
I agree, some mentalities will slow or stop society from improving.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
Guns are serious business for serious people only. Gun ownership should be considered a privledge not a birthright.
Totally agree, guns are serious and a privilege. That's why mandatory gun courses that focus on safety are in place. Rules on handguns are extremely strict in Canada with multiple courses being required and handguns can only be fired at very limited locations which have to be specified beforehand.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
^ Good and keep it that way. If Canadians don't like the current gun rules/laws, they're free to move down south and shoot away.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
It works both ways. If you don't like the current rules you're free to move away instead of suggesting that sport shooting be banned, or that more onerous rules be implemented.
... :ROFLMAO: ... guess you got nothing else to argue with. I'm fine with the current rules and suggesting sport shooting be banned is a suggestion, not the law. And no, it doesn't work both ways here. You're the one who don't like more onerous rules aka laws being implemented in this non-gun-believing nor loving country so you should be the one moving down south "PERMANENTLY" where you can enjoy both your roast and bazookas.

·
Registered
978 Posts
... :ROFLMAO: ... guess you got nothing else to argue with. I'm fine with the current rules and suggesting sport shooting be banned is a suggestion, not the law. And no, it doesn't work both ways here. You're the one who don't like more onerous rules aka laws being implemented in this non-gun-believing nor loving country so you should be the one moving down south "PERMANENTLY" where you can enjoy both your roast and bazookas.
I don't own guns and have no interest. Well, if Canada keeps moving left towards dictatorship then I might reconsider gun ownership. I also have no interest in living in the US who supposedly elected a man with advanced dementia who runs stasi-like show trials and likes to inappropriately touch young girls (that is a fact, there is ample video evidence). Although everyone knows Biden's dementia is so advanced that he doesn't make any decisions.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Of course I'll be against any new law that doesn't make sense, like the proposed "freeze on handguns" in C-21.
... so how can you (and I) "agree" to "keep it this way"? You're living in Canada and you know how our rules/laws are. They're gonna to be more stringent whether it makes any sense or not ... to you, the "responsible gun owners". The politicians will do what they think they do best.

But sadly, the actual folks who can make a difference are the ones who put up their hands and spout these upgraded laws are as useless as they can be. And so? Let's keep it this way, no?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
If the NDP doesn't agree or get something in return from the Libs for their vote on C-21.
Don't know what the NDP have planned, each party have their own agendas ... it's politics after all. :)
It's an interesting one.
Bloc is anti-gun.

Singh is a big city guy, but the NDP members actually look a bit more rural, so will it be a member vote, or a party vote.

I think it will unfortunately pass, but Trudeau might be keeping it ready for the next election

As much as I hate it, poor gun policy is GREAT big city, ignorant voter politics
Win votes on the issue, while doing nothing about the actual problem.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I don't think NDP will object. They will in the media, but Singh is a 'I don't like it but I will vote for it' kind of guy.
NDP is losing relevance because of it - there is no differentiation

101 - 120 of 131 Posts