Canadian Money Forum banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Because it's a sport that many responsible people enjoy and doesn't cause any issues. ...
... just responding to this is sufficient to understand the guns-lovers' mentality.

So it appears there's no other "sport" in this world such that "responsible" gun owners can enjoy? Interesting. And exactly what is that "sport"? Like knowing who can shoot the most bull-eyes at the gun ranges? You know that gets boring after awhile ... unlike formula car-racing, bungjee-jumping, or how about throwing crxps at the table? At least the chances of somebody "else" getting hurt is minimal with the latters ... whereas yes "responsible" gun owners don't ... loses their guns, sell to the blackmarket, shoot some bears or dears for fun (if not people when pissed off) despite the entire country is covered with rats.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
... just responding to this is sufficient to understand the guns-lovers' mentality.
Not sure what you are implying by the above, I don't own or have ever shot a handgun. I however have respect for other people that may want to enjoy such a sport if done in a safe manner.

So it appears there's no other "sport" in this world such that "responsible" gun owners can enjoy?
The point you are missing is there are a number of handgun sports being enjoyed right now that will no longer exist and for no good reason. Even the police are saying the freeze "will not meaningfully address the real issue".

BTW, pistol shooting is even in the Olympics in case you didn't know.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
There are exemptions in the bill for high level athletes in hand gun sports. There likely will be more exemptions, if the ban ends up to be permanent.

The bill is just being introduced and has to pass through the Senate for revisions and recommendations, before it goes back to Parliament.

The Senate committees would be an ideal forum to address any perceived shortcomings in the bill.

Very few pieces of legislation pass exactly as they were first introduced to Parliament.

·
Registered
978 Posts

So it appears there's no other "sport" in this world such that "responsible" gun owners can enjoy? Interesting. And exactly what is that "sport"? Like knowing who can shoot the most bull-eyes at the gun ranges? You know that gets boring after awhile ... unlike formula car-racing, bungjee-jumping, or how about throwing crxps at the table? At least the chances of somebody "else" getting hurt is minimal with the latters ... whereas yes "responsible" gun owners don't ... loses their guns, sell to the blackmarket, shoot some bears or dears for fun (if not people when pissed off) despite the entire country is covered with rats.
Why should you get to decide if a sport is suitable? There are plenty of sports that I have no interest in but I don't think that people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Not sure what you are implying by the above, I don't own or have ever shot a handgun. I however have respect for other people that may want to enjoy such a sport if done in a safe manner.

The point you are missing is there are a number of handgun sports being enjoyed right now that will no longer exist and for no good reason. Even the police are saying the freeze "will not meaningfully address the real issue".

I'm more pro-gun, but they are destroying shooting sports for a VERY GOOD reason, the ONLY one that matters to them. Political power.

They think it will help them win votes, that's the only reason to put forward mostly do nothing legislation, while simultaneously rejecting legislation that might actually have an impact.

Think about it, they could easily pass some good, unanimously supported legislation, but they'd rather play politics.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
Think about it, they could easily pass some good, unanimously supported legislation, but they'd rather play politics.
For sure it is politics ... image and posturing instead of really trying to fix problems.

I remembered a police statement from the last time they tried a bill on banning handguns so I had to dig this up. What does it tell people when the Police say taking guns away from legal owners won't make any difference and they are not the problem.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

Do you ever post anything useful?

Once again, you're just here to stir the pot. Your whole bit about the black market, shooting bears and deers and people when pissed off really goes to show you understand nothing.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Do you ever post anything useful?
... might want to ask yourself that question. Do you? Or you're just jumping in here to stir the pot?

Once again, you're just here to stir the pot. Your whole bit about the black market, shooting bears and deers and people when pissed off really goes to show you understand nothing.
... no, only you understand everything. Don't forget tonight's street meets although you're waaaaay past your age for that.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
... I would hope it's done in a safe manner since our streets ain't.

The point you are missing is there are a number of handgun sports being enjoyed right now that will no longer exist and for no good reason.
... my point is ... why have guns as a "sport " event for the general public? You could admit it's all BIG business instead as if owning and shooting off the ranges into paper bull-eyes or maybe into cans if not watermelons are really "sporty". I get you don't find that boring at all ... never mind being productive. UNLESS there're other things in mind for the use of those guns.

Even the police are saying the freeze "will not meaningfully address the real issue".
... and "responsible" "gun owners" would take that at face-value instead of asking "then what does the police (including them chiefs) plan on doing with the continuous "real issue"? I bet "responsible gun owners" say "ain't my problem. I ain't the police, not my job."

... about time they get rid of that "sports" once the guns are completely banned (I would be dreaming on this though).

Btw, even the police (law enforcement) - some of them are so triggered-happy that they'll shoot to kill regardless. In fact, one made it on the news to shoot flat-lined civilian(s) dead to be absolute.

• Sad
Reactions: Gator13

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
... I would hope it's done in a safe manner since our streets ain't.
Not sure where you live but I feel safe on my streets. Even took my dog for a walk after midnight last night before the t-storms rolled in. :)

... my point is ... why have guns as a "sport " event for the general public?
Because a number of people here enjoy the sport and have for a long time. The police continously say these people are not a safety concern.

You can choose to be anti-gun, that is up to you. You can also choose to support gun laws that the police are saying won't make any difference in gun crimes, sounds like a silly thing to do but again, that is up to you. Personally I'd rather have gun laws that will make a difference and has support from the police. You can also choose to ban sports you find boring, that's very self-centered but your call.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
The police officer said that almost 100% of the weapons they seize are from someone who is not legally permitted to own them.

He also said the guns were either "stolen" or "illegally obtained".

It sounds like the security of guns is a problem if they are being stolen from legal gun owners and used in crimes.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
It sounds like the security of guns is a problem if they are being stolen from legal gun owners and used in crimes.
Without knowing the stats on how many legal canadian handguns are stolen each year it's hard to say. If a significant number of handguns are stolen from people's homes then yes, it is something to look at.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Not sure where you live but I feel safe on my streets. Even took my dog for a walk after midnight last night before the t-storms rolled in. :)

Because a number of people here enjoy the sport and have for a long time. The police continously say these people are not a safety concern.
... I don't know where you live but I live in Toronto. And care to reflect on your subsequent statement below about people who as anti-guns are being self-centered because those illegal guns are coming from the "outskirt of Toronto". Ie. other cities or towns that may include yours. Of course, you don't recall about people being gunned down in Toronto but I do. In fact, several incidents revealed that these goons came to Toronto for target practice claiming they "needed to protect themselves in the big city" just a few years ago. Now it's the car-jacking trend.

You can choose to be anti-gun, that is up to you. You can also choose to support gun laws that the police are saying won't make any difference in gun crimes, sounds like a silly thing to do but again, that is up to you.. Personally I'd rather have gun laws that will make a difference and has support from the police.
... such as? Exactly what gun laws have been implemented that's making a difference? I'm all ears here.

You can also choose to ban sports you find boring, that's very self-centered but your call.
... don't you find it ironic that of all the sports in the world, gun-shooting is the most exciting and anyone who don't find this sport is considered so self-centered being able to shoot someone else dead. No wonder our society is so fvcked up.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
... no, only you understand everything. Don't forget tonight's street meets although you're waaaaay past your age for that.
Adults have street meets all the time.

Or do you not recognize cars as a hobby? Maybe racing is not a sport to you, either.

You act as if you were never young once. Which is ironic considering your posts indicate you may not have grown up much.

It's also incredible that you've got the mods wrapped around your finger so you can take personal jabs at people all the time. Not sure how you did it, but kudos to you.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
^ You were the one who was taking the jab. So what usefulness do you have here? Like I care about your hobbies.

Btw, grown up (aka responsible) adults don't go for street meets to race cars. And don't forget to ask the cops if it's legal to do that.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
... I don't know where you live but I live in Toronto.
Winnipeg

And care to reflect on your subsequent statement below about people who as anti-guns are being self-centered because those illegal guns are coming from the "outskirt of Toronto".
I didn't say that, those are your words.
I said ...
You can also choose to ban sports you find boring, that's very self-centered but your call.
See the difference, choosing to ban sports (not just gun sports) you find boring would be very self-centered IMO.

... such as? Exactly what gun laws have been implemented that's making a difference? I'm all ears here.
Not sure but would like to hear from police what laws they'd think did (or would) make a difference.

... don't you find it ironic that of all the sports in the world, gun-shooting is the most exciting and anyone who don't find this sport is considered so self-centered being able to shoot someone else dead. No wonder our society is so fvcked up.
Again, your words not mine. Don't know why you are choosing to argue and get upset with your own statements. :)

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
^ You were the one who was taking the jab. So what usefulness do you have here? Like I care about your hobbies.

Btw, grown up (aka responsible) adults don't go for street meets to race cars. And don't forget to ask the cops if it's legal to do that.
Car meets don't automatically mean people are racing.

The same way that a gunowner is not a killer.

I thought such an astute, responsible and mature individual such as yourself would be able to identify that instead of making a blanket statement.

Also - for the record - cops are some of the most crooked people there are. I have been to car meets where the cops have raced and done burnouts.

Your lack of experience is showing.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Winnipeg

I didn't say that, those are your words.
I said ...

See the difference, choosing to ban sports (not just gun sports) you find boring would be very self-centered IMO.
... ah, I didn't say ban "sports". I said ban gun sports. Aren't we talking about guns-shooting as a sport? Or are you now trying to spin it around and putting words in my mouth and accusing me of being very self-centered with any sport. The truth of the matter is gun-lovers who take on that "hobby" as a sport is the most self-centered 'cause they can't think of the consequences of what a gun can do when it gets in the wrong hands. And please spare me with the "responsible" gun owners bit.

Not sure but would like to hear from police what laws they'd think did (or would) make a difference.
... no, I don't want to hear from the police when you said (below) so I want to hear it from you:

Personally I'd rather have gun laws that will make a difference and has support from the police.
Again, your words not mine. Don't know why you are choosing to argue and get upset with your own statements. :)
... I'm not upset but just that society ain't gonna to improve when we have continuous mentalities like these. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Car meets don't automatically mean people are racing.

The same way that a gunowner is not a killer.

I thought such an astute, responsible and mature individual such as yourself would be able to identify that instead of making a blanket statement.

Also - for the record - cops are some of the most crooked people there are. I have been to car meets where the cops have raced and done burnouts.

Your lack of experience is showing.
... ya, my lack of experience is showing so you can tell your whole side life of 30 years of experience. :cry: I know you "got it".

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Without knowing the stats on how many legal canadian handguns are stolen each year it's hard to say. If a significant number of handguns are stolen from people's homes then yes, it is something to look at.
The police officer must have been quoting anecdotal evidence, because it appears there is little statistical data on where the guns originate from.

Of particular concern, there is currently little information available to determine the source of firearms used in crime: for example, whether a gun used in a crime was stolen, illegally purchased or smuggled into the country.

There are a lot of statistics contained, and one can see why some of the specific new laws were introduced (as in past domestic violence situations).

Other information is somewhat surprising. More gun crimes occur in rural areas ? I would have thought it more likely in large urban areas like Toronto.

In any event, gun crime is relatively low in Canada and the perpetrators are usually caught. I think Canadians want to keep it that way.

We just have to strike the right balance to be fair to legal, responsible gun owners while keeping the guns out of the hands of the irresponsible.

I would rather the government discuss solutions with gun clubs, hunting clubs, outdoor clubs than political parties who just want to agitate.

All the friends I know who own guns and hunt are studiously responsible with their weapons and have no use for people who disregard gun safety.

It makes perfect sense in that.......who wants to go hunting in the woods with people who are careless and have no clue ?

81 - 100 of 131 Posts