41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I am not saying it's going to revert
What I am saying is the pc movement has now swing to far to the left
Just like racism.(and gender imo)
Everybody has to walk on eggshell now with speech and its fckd!imo

Maybe it's my catholic Mennonite upbringing but say merry Christmas and always will
And iff anybody has a problem with that they can kiss my *** cause I don't care

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
My grandfather fled Russia as a teenage boy(my great grandpa was killed by the Stalin regime)he escaped and made his way to South america and settled in Paraguay
My father was born in Paraguay(the Fernheim colony to be exact) and he immigrated to Canada as a boy(My father his siblings and my grandparents grew up attending Mennonite brethren church.

My Mother was born in canada but my grandparents immigrated to canada through the united states(they originally had hoped for american citizenship)but wound up in Canada(from Italy a village very close to Sicily)Obviously of Catholic decent and practice.

I am a half breed russian whop go figure.

My dad meet my mom in high school and love was blind
there you have it Andy lol---to answer your question.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
For years we didn't celebrate Christmas so what I used to say was Seasons Greetings, much nicer than Happy Holidays, oh how I hate that
If you say Seasons Greetings, you should say it for every season :)

My father his siblings and my grandparents grew up attending Mennonite brethren church.
Russian becomes Mennonite .... funny :biggrin:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm far more offended by all the extra taxpayer money we have to spend on duplicate Catholic school and health care systems. If some politician ever manages to get rid of the massively wasteful redundant systems, it will be a very Merry Christmas indeed.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
add in the bilingual french
I am not attacking Quebec but for the life of me if anything we should of learned chinese.
Jt dad's wasted billions imo
French is basically useless in international business
Why i got to listen to french when i call service canada is beyond me
utter waste imo being forced yes forced to take french in the public canadian school system
besides Quebec french is useless

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
That is liberal policies at it's finest
Only 1 million people outside of quebec speak french in canada
25+ million people in canada don't
Notice the anti establishment
English is canada's language it is backwater
always has bothered me and it costs tax payers billions.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I am not attacking Quebec but for the life of me if anything we should of learned chinese.
utter waste imo being forced yes forced to take french in the public canadian school system
Disagree- French is useful in Switzerland, Belgium, several other European countries, much of Africa, and all former colonies- Vietnam, parts of the Caribbean, etc. And we learn Parisian French in school, not Quebecois. But I agree that it's kind of a pain having it on everything. I'm very glad I took it in school- allowed me to travel well in Africa. (And France!)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I disagree, it's never useless to have another language in the back pocket. As Indexx pointed out, there are a lot of French colonies and countries where it is useful. More useful than Chinese (well Mandarin) if you are doing international travel. By all means if you plan on doing business with China, then go ahead, but if you're talking about casual travel usage and you aren't in the hospitality industry, Mandarin isn't that useful.

It reminds me of the big push for learning Japanese in the 80s and 90s because of the growth in Japan. Nowadays, unless you are dealing with Japanese compannies, you aren't getting a lot of use out of it.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
Was it worth it in hindsight though?(monday mourning quaterbacking)
Without getting way off topic
I understand we were french settlers from the british colonies way back but as canada has evoled as a nation(esp immigration trends)french is trending to yesteryear.
Remember i am talking about outside quebec(the 85% majority of this nation)
Official languages act (1969)It is no secret many voters did not agree in fact a alienation of western canada we all had to pay for.
Cost of bilingualism in canada 1971-375.7 million
Cost of bilingualism at the turn of 2000-2001-1.79 billion
In that 30 year span canadians payed 37 billion of taxes
More than 85% of this country speaks english only 85 freaking %
Quebec politics and elected officials have always been elites at the federal level
I have been to Montreal and never did i need french anywhere to make my way around
i am just questioning if it was real fair to all canadians
ie mandatory french in canadian public schools
i had no choice i had to take french speaking courses and as far as i can tell it amounted to near zero(we all payed taxes)
makes even lesser sense in 2015

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The thing is everyone has different needs and requirements.
Someone who does a lot of international travel for business or leisure will find that having another language in the back pocket is useful.
Someone who will never be in contact with someone who speaks French will find it useless.
I didn't think that French was mandatory across Canada, at least from what I recall, schools in Toronto don't necessary teach French.
From an international relations standpoint it can be useful; for example, Canada can easily take lead on military operations in former French colonies due to the communications advantage over the USA.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I just looked it is almost roughly 3 billion a year for billingualism.
from a financial standpoint it's a freaking utter waste and it is archaic
One language,less taxes and put a end to the the 'seperatism issues'
Less the 1 % of bc residents speak french yet they spend provincial 900 million a year!
Why the hell as a country do we have to put up this?

Part of me we love to see quebec become a independent nation,just watch them flounder on the world stage
and bgc i did have to take mandatory french in junior high it was only in public high school where it was a option and as far as international war?
In this day and age usa/russia/china etc dictate world affairs on world conflict
Canadian military operations on a world stage...not likely

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World
Chinese tops the list of most popular world languages, with over one billion speakers. English trails in third place, with 335 million speakers. This data represents first-language speakers.

Language1 Approx. number
of speakers
1. Chinese2 1,197,000,000
2. Spanish 414,000,000
3. English 335,000,000
4. Hindi 260,000,000
5. Arabic3 237,000,000
6. Portuguese 203,000,000
7. Bengali 193,000,000
8. Russian 167,000,000
9. Japanese 122,000,000
10. Javanese 84,300,000

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I just looked it is almost roughly 3 billion a year for billingualism.
from a financial standpoint it's a freaking utter waste and it is archaic
One language,less taxes and put a end to the the 'seperatism issues'
Less the 1 % of bc residents speak french yet they spend provincial 900 million a year!
Why the hell as a country do we have to put up this?
Switzerland seems to be doing well with multiple languages. Should the language training be more regionalized? Perhaps, but there are benefits for learning a second language and French is a fairly decent base if one wants to going into other Romance languages.

The sheer numbers of Chinese speaking Mandarin isn't really a good reason to say dump French and add Mandarin, because unless you deal with China on a regular basis and maybe some pockets of Vancouver and Toronto (in Canada), it won't get exercised that much.

In this day and age usa/russia/china etc dictate world affairs on world conflict
Canadian military operations on a world stage...not likely
For the record, the two official languages in NATO are English and French. As far as military operations, they encompass more than just war. There are a number of conflicts in Africa involving former French colonies, as well as the usual Haiti disaster relief operations. We do send people to these operations and require a handle on French.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
Re:Languages in the year 2015(the tech/social media/'world without boarders)
The tech sector has eliminated most of this
I could get you use technology products-which all world government do in all operations
i could get a french translation app off my i-phone buying a cheap app and have siri within half a minute repeat back in voice text what i just said today if i was in france
This isnt 1980.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Switzerland seems to be doing well with multiple languages.
I think Switzerland has 5 , but I doubt that on the planes they are doing all announcements in 5 languages :biggrin:

I personally prefer Spanish as my 4th languages.... learning it from time to time when driving using audiobooks

Part of me we love to see quebec become a independent nation
agreed :) They have different rules/laws from RoC for everything ...looks like they are going it on purpose :) Especially ridiculous tax forms ... every Federal T form, has Releve analogue , also they have some specific releves like R26 or R7 ...
Our business wastes huge $$ on incorporating both languages...
P.S. it would be crazy to program/test apllication that have 5 different languages :)

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I have a cousin in the real estate sector in vancouver
He doesn't know a lick of mandarin
He has conducted clear conversations over media with both using translation software
Both are more than comfortable using(under 35)
The youth are more comfortable conducting communication this way than face to face lol---likely not going to change
Who in their right mind would waste years in front of a teacher in a class
The days of a teacher standing in front of a chalk board is nye
give the tech world another couple years and we will attach a device to i phone or i watch or whatever and we will automatically be speaking any language(prob happened already)
Land based colonies are done
case in point we have never meet and live 1000 of kms away and we are interacting with each other and its not even thought of lol
land boarders mean little in commerce

41 - 60 of 101 Posts