Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I think our society is in serious decay rather than entering a new age of enlightenment,not good, ask any Roman.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
altared, if it's tradition
wouldn't those that matter to you
prefer merry xmas ?
Sending them a card with Happy Holidays is the compromise to not acknowledging the season at all. Bottom line is the few that receive my cards appreciate the acknowledgement.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
I was recently travelling for work and visited a facility operated by another company in rural Missouri. A poster in their lobby referred to their core company values being honesty, integrity and strong Christian principles. I can only imagine the reaction such a poster would get in Toronto (no one would dream of stepping on that landmine). And this is a $200 million facility owned by a subsidiary of a large S&P 500 company, so not a mom-and-pop outfit.
What do you expect from a company located in Missouri? It is advertising/marketing. The South is about as hard core Christian as the Middle East is hard core Muslim. I have lived and worked in the South. Oppressive is an understatement. That same company would say something appropriately different in India. Tailor the message.

P.S. Our company (and others) used to have signs at the entrances to their offices in the South that said "No firearms on premises. Leave them in your vehicle". Didn't need those signs in more civilized locations.

·
Registered
529 Posts
At my workplace, we celebrate (mention, at least--sometimes events) Diwali, Eid-al-Fitr, Yom Kippur, etc. We do sometimes refer to the December time frame as 'the holidays', but we don't shy away from mentioning the c-word. It's more just that there are other religious observances happening at the same time.

I'm an atheist, so I see all these more as cultural celebrations than having any more religious significance than Neptunalia.
Same as us. No one tip toes around Christmas, but at the same time when the e-mails go out we also get well wishes for the other holidays as well. And I think that's the way it should be. If we all want to be truly inclusive and respective, that shouldn't mean an environment where we're all afraid to say anything other than "Happy Holidays" it should be if I say "Merry Christmas" to someone, they can shoot a "Happy Diwali" right back and we both go on our merry way.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You are all missing the point. Every single religious holiday should be recognized and celebrated. I would love to have a month off for Ramadan and a second chinese new years off in January.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Good topic, but I think out of all the societal ailments that are currently being caused by political correctness, holiday greetings are at the very bottom of the list in terms of significance. This is one of those trivial topics that governments would prefer we focus our energies on to distract us, instead of starting a discourse on the REAL problems caused by political correctness.

I also hate the term political correctness. It is purposefully named to sound like a good thing, or at least seem not that bad. It's got the word "correct" in it for goodness sake.
The proper definition that should be assigned to what is understood as the act of "being politically correct" is "censorship through the repression and persecution of free speech".

Those who insist on the necessity of political correctness, do so because they know that without it their arguments will very quickly be overwhelmed by fact, logic and reason. Their only hope at winning a debate is to stifle and censor their opponent into oblivion.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Those who insist on the necessity of political correctness, do so because they know that without it their arguments will very quickly be overwhelmed by fact, logic and reason. Their only hope at winning a debate is to stifle and censor their opponent into oblivion.
While I would agree with this statement based on my CMF experience, but IRL I think some people are just trying too hard to be nice/to not offend anybody.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
Political correctness is not about being polite, it is about the thought police exerting control over what others are able to say in public, and to increase their standing in the Oppression Olympics of wronged parties. Like people complaining about Black Friday being racist. It doesn't have to be logical, historically accurate or even a matter of courtesy.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm pretty much on-board with everyone above, as in what's the big deal?

Yesterday after buying some groceries I threw a toonie into the pot for the work of the Salvation Army on the way out.

The volunteer said thankyou and merry christmas. As a single dude with no family of my own I personally find the whole christmas thing a tad depressing, but I took it in the spirit in which it was meant and wished him 'likewise'.

No big deal, who cares what we call it anyways, the whole thing was adapted patch-work style, by the ancient romans from much older solstice celebrations and rituals anyways, we'll continue forward just the same, political correctness or not

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm pretty much on-board with everyone above, as in what's the big deal?

Yesterday after buying some groceries I threw a toonie into the pot for the work of the Salvation Army on the way out.

The volunteer said thankyou and merry christmas. As a single dude with no family of my own I personally find the whole christmas thing a tad depressing, but I took it in the spirit in which it was meant and wished him 'likewise'.

No big deal, who cares what we call it anyways, the whole thing was adapted patch-work style, by the ancient romans from much older solstice celebrations and rituals anyways, we'll continue forward just the same, political correctness or not
Exactly my point; it 'shouldn't' be a big deal, but businesses like the one I work for make it that way. They choose to see harm where none exists.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
it 'shouldn't' be a big deal, but businesses like the one I work for make it that way. They choose to see harm where none exists.
Let's not get angry at the symptoms and focus on the disease. Your employer doesn't do this just "because".

They did it because they have lost faith in the fairness of the government and the media. If anyone commits a slight against a non-Christian person, they risk the wrath of an unconstitutional human rights tribunal that will fine them until it hurts, then an anti-corporate and anti-christian biased media will drag their good name through the mud relentlessly until bones are broken, and finally an underemployed digital mob who can't afford to buy anything in first place will plaster their name all over the internet, putting the final nail in the coffin.

This is a normal and pragmatic reaction from corporations that operate in a world that is increasingly unjust, and wholly committed to the destruction of Christian and European culture.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
Imo this is a direct result of liberalism running rampant in universities and now gen x and y are coming of age and the educated class(the public that earn the most make the rules)
I dare anyone to name a university that is conservative based in all of canada
This loosely relates to rise of feminism(just M.o)
at all costs even if not logic inclusion reigns supreme certainly against 'anti establishment"
In a nut shell coincides with the rise of women taking over men in the workplace
my 2 cents

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Imo this is a direct result of liberalism running rampant in universities and now gen x and y are coming of age and the educated class(the public that earn the most make the rules)
I dare anyone to name a university that is conservative based in all of canada
This loosely relates to rise of feminism(just M.o)
at all costs even if not logic inclusion reigns supreme certainly against 'anti establishment"
In a nut shell coincides with the rise of women taking over men in the workplace
my 2 cents
That is likely not going to happen simply because there is a well established negative correlation between education and conservatism. Not to suggest causation.... but... yes... that's why.

That's why the most conservative states in the US are populated by ******* mouth breathers.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts