Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree that respecting people is important, but sometimes I think it gets a bit out of hand. This week at work, it was announced that we could no longer refer to the period around December 25th as Christmas, but only as Holidays. So for example, our yearly staff party is no longer the Christmas party, it's the staff holiday party. We can't have any decorations that state 'Merry Xmas' or whatever, or even wish coworkers or customers/suppliers etc Merry Christmas, as it may offend certain people. I actually find THAT offensive. Are we supposed to respect everyone's beliefs and culture except our own?

Just needed to vent, as I obviously can't do it to anyone at work- it would be offensive...

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
What's the big deal? I think this easily falls into reasonable accommodation seeing that it's based on a holiday for a fake ******* child - who's chief proponents are child molesters. Super.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
This week at work, it was announced that we could no longer refer to the period around December 25th as Christmas, but only as Holidays. So for example, our yearly staff party is no longer the Christmas party, it's the staff holiday party.
You are noticing this now?
Where have you been for the last 10 years or so?
Most organizations did away with Christmas at least 10 years ago.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
indexxxx, this is called reverse racism.... I don't have much relation to Christianity :) , but this is also pisses me off ...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You are noticing this now?
Where have you been for the last 10 years or so?
Most organizations did away with Christmas at least 10 years ago.

-Yes, it is news to me that we are no longer allowed to wish people Merry Christmas- although I usually say happy holidays due to my own beliefs or lack thereof, not out of a desire to spare someone.
-Cayman Islands. And yes, it was surreal seeing Santa sleighs in the Caribbean.
-I was not aware of this, as every place I've worked has had a Christmas party.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What's the big deal? I think this easily falls into reasonable accommodation seeing that it's based on a holiday for a fake ******* child - who's chief proponents are child molesters. Super.
It's that we are supposed to ignore a harmless tradition of goodwill. Being atheist, I'm not interested in the fake ******* son; it's the fact that we have to tiptoe around so much and everyone is so hypersensitive. For example, if I was travelling or living in a foreign country, and in the spirit of fellowship (or should I now say 'personship'...?) someone wished me a happy 'whatever' their local celebration is, I would be gracious in accepting both their good wishes and their festivities.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
The way I see it is corporate organizations need to be politically correct because of their multi-cultural workforce. That does not stop individual employees from sticking to their preferences when they speak on their own behalf. Just can't include/invoke the corporate name in such greetings. I send out Happy Holiday (rather than Christmas) cards because I am an atheist myself but note that I still send out a few Happy Holiday cards. That is simply out of respect for tradition to those that matter to me.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
most people are like sheep, dont you know?
"Happy Holidays"? gimme a break! "Happy Half-Day Dec. 24; Dec. 25 & 26; and Jan. 1" would be more appropriate.
How long is the "holiday season" anyway? Is is longer than the baseball season? the hunting season?
Oh, and a hearty "sustainable", "locally-sourced", "free-range", and "climate change" - for good measure!! baa-aaa-aaaa.
Humbug!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most people are like sheep, dont you know?
"Happy Holidays"? gimme a break! "Happy Half-Day Dec. 24; Dec. 25 & 26; and Jan. 1" would be more appropriate.
How long is the "holiday season" anyway? Is is longer than the baseball season? the hunting season?
Oh, and a hearty "sustainable", "locally-sourced", "free-range", and "climate change" - for good measure!! baa-aaa-aaaa.
Humbug!
Tomorrow I'm going locally-sourced, free-range, organic, low-emission, sustainable, craft, boutique, non-denominational, non-species and non-gender specific, humanely killed holiday tree shopping. Who's coming with?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I am catholic but do not buy everything the church preaches or does except Jesus and god.

Still however the politically correct crap is annoying but has gone on for quite some time. I saw the other day some college students in the US claiming black Friday is racist. The word black means that is when the stores start turning a profit and doesn't refer to black people in any way. If however some people decided it still is racist then don't go to the Black Friday sales. What are the chances that people would boycott the sales.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am catholic but do not buy everything the church preaches or does except Jesus and god.

Still however the politically correct crap is annoying but has gone on for quite some time. I saw the other day some college students in the US claiming black Friday is racist. The word black means that is when the stores start turning a profit and doesn't refer to black people in any way. If however some people decided it still is racist then don't go to the Black Friday sales. What are the chances that people would boycott the sales.
I heard a couple of years ago that some were offended by Santa saying 'Ho Ho Ho', as it brought up connotations of prostitution. I'm not making this up. That is just ASININE- because of rap's appropriation and mispronunciation of the word 'whore', we are supposed to suppress Santa's laugh. Two GIGANTIC middle fingers to that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Christmas and Easter, which should be sacred Christian observances both have been turned into a commercial circus. All the original Christian meaning has been lost, and Christians went along with it. If they really cared, they would have objected more strongly before now. Then again, they stole the day to celebrate the birth of Jesus from the pagans, so take that!

If you're really religious and wish to practice your traditions, then you can simply ignore the madness around you and observe your holiday in your own way with similar minded friends and family.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going locally-sourced, free-range, organic, low-emission, sustainable, craft, boutique, non-denominational, non-species and non-gender specific, humanely killed holiday tree shopping. Who's coming with?
have you "reached out" to the tree harvesters, to see if the trees were raised without the use of steroids or hormones?

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
I agree that respecting people is important, but sometimes I think it gets a bit out of hand. This week at work, it was announced that we could no longer refer to the period around December 25th as Christmas, but only as Holidays. So for example, our yearly staff party is no longer the Christmas party, it's the staff holiday party. We can't have any decorations that state 'Merry Xmas' or whatever, or even wish coworkers or customers/suppliers etc Merry Christmas, as it may offend certain people. I actually find THAT offensive. Are we supposed to respect everyone's beliefs and culture except our own?

Just needed to vent, as I obviously can't do it to anyone at work- it would be offensive...
At my workplace, we celebrate (mention, at least--sometimes events) Diwali, Eid-al-Fitr, Yom Kippur, etc. We do sometimes refer to the December time frame as 'the holidays', but we don't shy away from mentioning the c-word. It's more just that there are other religious observances happening at the same time.

I'm an atheist, so I see all these more as cultural celebrations than having any more religious significance than Neptunalia.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
I heard a couple of years ago that some were offended by Santa saying 'Ho Ho Ho', as it brought up connotations of prostitution. I'm not making this up. That is just ASININE- because of rap's appropriation and mispronunciation of the word 'whore', we are supposed to suppress Santa's laugh. Two GIGANTIC middle fingers to that.
This is just stupidity and ignorance. The 'ho ho ho' refers to a somewhat archaic characterization of laughter. Only the professionally offended would make that connection.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
The way I see it is corporate organizations need to be politically correct because of their multi-cultural workforce. That does not stop individual employees from sticking to their preferences when they speak on their own behalf. Just can't include/invoke the corporate name in such greetings. I send out Happy Holiday (rather than Christmas) cards because I am an atheist myself but note that I still send out a few Happy Holiday cards. That is simply out of respect for tradition to those that matter to me.
I was recently travelling for work and visited a facility operated by another company in rural Missouri. A poster in their lobby referred to their core company values being honesty, integrity and strong Christian principles. I can only imagine the reaction such a poster would get in Toronto (no one would dream of stepping on that landmine). And this is a $200 million facility owned by a subsidiary of a large S&P 500 company, so not a mom-and-pop outfit.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
core company values being honesty, integrity and strong Christian principles.
it's OK... but imagine company that "values being honesty, integrity and strong Sunni (or Shi'a) principles :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts