Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God knows I havent seen or read all the coverage on this latest story out of bizzarroland (aka The USA)....but have we become so blase that no one else seems to find it disturbing that a middle-aged lawyer in St. Louis would have a high-powered assault rifle lying around the house....?
"Honey, looks like we protestors at 1 o'clock! You grab the pistol, I got the AK-47. Let's roll!"
MAGA.....? some chance!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Armed thugs smashed down a private gate, trespassed, threatened to kill the couple and their dog, and when they step outside to defend themselves all jargey cares about is how they held their guns.

Just another brainwashed leftist who cherry picks one little insignificant detail and ignores the real crime.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....pguy...i dont think i said a word about "how they held their guns"...
please quote where I did....
or else, pick YOUR cherries accurately please...lol

(ps thank goodness no one actually got shot here)

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Good pickup LTA......one stumble and she shoots somebody. She might have had to live in a different gated community but it wouldn't be nearly as nice.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
There were reports some of the protestors carried guns as well. Of course, just have everyone wandering around with loaded guns.

What could possibly go wrong ?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
....pguy...i dont think i said a word about "how they held their guns"...
please quote where I did....
or else, pick YOUR cherries accurately please...lol

(ps thank goodness no one actually got shot here)
I read yours and LTA's post and mixed them up...but my main point remains valid. You're more concerned about them instead of the armed thugs who threatened to kill them and their dog.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
God knows I havent seen or read all the coverage on this latest story out of bizzarroland (aka The USA)....but have we become so blase that no one else seems to find it disturbing that a middle-aged lawyer in St. Louis would have a high-powered assault rifle lying around the house....?
"Honey, looks like we protestors at 1 o'clock! You grab the pistol, I got the AK-47. Let's roll!"
MAGA.....? some chance!

View attachment 20286
... how classy and they're gun-toting "lawyer(s)"? Wow! Did their dog get killed? They look more like Bonnie & Clyde to me. :sick::eek:

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
1) Disarm honest citizens
2) Empower looters and rioters
3) Defund and disband police
What could go wrong?
...nothing. The Americans' "right-to-bear-arms" can all go kill themselves.

Junior just need to keep our "Canadian" borders closed until the pandemic blows over. Happy July 1st!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read yours and LTA's post and mixed them up...but my main point remains valid. You're more concerned about them instead of the armed thugs who threatened to kill them and their dog.
well...I'll give you credit for admitting you made a boo-boo🤪
but, as far me as being concerned..I really dont give a rat's you-know-what about any of 'em...
just making an observation...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It looks a lot like a staged photo; not one taken when they were "in the moment". If the former, then how do we know the weapons were loaded? If they were not, must we care about the niceties of trigger finger position? If they were in the moment, and under imminent threat of grievous bodily harm or death, then gun loaded, safety off, and finger on the trigger and not outside the trigger guard, would be entirely appropriate.

The only thing I see "wrong" with the scene is the so-called "assault rifle". That seems to have emerged of late as a pejorative term designed to stir up negative emotions about guns and gun owners. I think the gun owners would do better to yield on that one and give up ownership of such weapons. It's better to bend than to break.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The crowd threatened to kill them & their dog...many of the instigators carried guns......at that point I'd probably get real aggressive to those on my lawn. Police do nothing in most states to criminals breaking in to loot & burn.

I care little about a pink shirted lawyer but that home needs to be saved from American Taliban.

btw there is a long video taken by one of the criminals showing this encounter...quite different than reports from the media.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It looks a lot like a staged photo; not one taken when they were "in the moment". If the former, then how do we know the weapons were loaded? If they were not, must we care about the niceties of trigger finger position? If they were in the moment, and under imminent threat of grievous bodily harm or death, then gun loaded, safety off, and finger on the trigger and not outside the trigger guard, would be entirely appropriate.

The only thing I see "wrong" with the scene is the so-called "assault rifle". That seems to have emerged of late as a pejorative term designed to stir up negative emotions about guns and gun owners. I think the gun owners would do better to yield on that one and give up ownership of such weapons. It's better to bend than to break.
It's a snapshot from the cell phone video.
It's a semi auto rifle.
But when you have mob of hundreds of protestors, some armed, breaking into private property and threatening to kill you. You're more than justified to use force to defend yourself.

I understand the "tear it all down" people. But the average protestor isn't that.

They say "defund the police' and "community teams" for security, are they thinking this through?

Do they really want more situations like George Zimmerman and Ahmaud Arbery?

As far as the political leaders wanting to talk to "community leaders" that's BS.
The elected government IS the community leadership that we agreed to.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thank you MrM
It's a snapshot from the cell phone video.
It's a semi auto rifle.
I was unschooled as to the provenance of the photo. Almost looks like some kind of re-creation. So, apparently it was taken when this pair felt under siege by some who were armed. In that case, I have no issue with their conduct, assuming they were loaded for bear and ready to fire.

Yes, I realize the rife is a semi-auto. Would not expect a full-auto (a.k.a. machine gun). But I believe it's of a class that if often referred to as an "assault rifle", not that I am endowed with much knowledge of assault rifles.

I own a variety of sporting arms and have done a fair amount of hunting, target shooting, trap and skeet, various handguns, etc. I have complied with Canada's gun laws, although they are already more restrictive than need be, in my view.

I have never seen the need for, or wanted, a gun such as that shown in the photo. I think many think they look sinister, scary. I can't really see going afield and potting a deer or moose with one. I think gun owners and fanciers would do well to give those up. They seem to inflame the passions of the anti-gun bigots. Better to pick one's battles I say. Giving them up is a concession I would grant to the anti-gun crowd with alacrity. But for reasons with which I have never been provided, that class of armament seems to be some kind of a symbol of strength to quite a few gun owners. Some kind of thin edge of the wedge argument, I suppose. First you confiscate my assault rifle, then my double-barrel shotgun, then my bolt-action rifle, etc. Maybe that's the thinking. Strikes me as a bit paranoid, but that's just me.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
The couple is mixing up their stories and none of them add up to what the video shows.

The protestors weren't on their property. They were on a private road that led through the complex of homes. It is a "gated" community.

This is how the scene was described by a news reporter on the scene.

Twenty seconds after several protesters made their way through the gate, the video shows Mark McCloskey exiting his house with a long rifle, yelling at protesters to leave the private street.

Their statement to the police.

Once through the gate, the McCloskeys) advised the group that they were "on a private street and trespassing and told them to leave," according to police. The couple told police the group began yelling obscenities and threatened to harm them.

And now their lawyer is saying a completely different story that the couple went out when they heard the noise, were threatened and then went back to retrieve their weapons to protect themselves. The couple already said they were dining outside.

They also said the gate was broken down by protestors, which it wasn't. The gate is shown fully intact while the couple is on their porch with guns.

The couple are now being called Ken and Karen on social media and are being investigated.

The woman is in more serious trouble by pointing her loaded firearm at someone, and with her finger on the trigger.

In Canada, she would be charged with serious criminal offenses. You don't whip out weapons and point them at people for trespassing.

In the US, maybe Trump will give her a White House visit and a medal.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It was a private road, not a public road. There several hundred people who were trespassing, were armed, and who threatened to kill the couple....they weren't just "passing the mansion."

Had it been a black couple protecting themselves against a white mob that had threatened them they would have been praised instead of mocked.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The protestors weren't on their property. They were on a private road that led through the complex of homes. It is a "gated" community.

Lets hope you never have an angry mob coming up your street toward your house. In this case it was a private gated street. I'm sure you would have invited them all in for tea.

ltr

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
It all seems cartoonish, but it's for real. Here are some of the things I encountered while living there for a few years:

- More than one coworker at my office occasionally brought a handgun to work. They were all nice people, but the guns still made me very uncomfortable.

- I once went to the wrong address for a social gathering, and the homeowner pulled out a rifle and pointed it at my car. I thought he was going to kill me and I almost floored the gas pedal to run him over and kill him in self defence. Others who knew this neighbour said he was a 'known gun nut' and had an arsenal of automatic weapons and machine guns too.

- I once told an American friend that some birds in my area were getting annoying due to the noise. He told me, completely seriously, that he could lend me one of his guns and it might be fun for me to start shooting them one by one to 'send a message'.

- Minor shootouts in the US are so common that you don't even hear them in the news. Where I was living, there were frequently incidents (fights at a bar, or at someone's house) ending up with shootings. They didn't even make the news - it happens so often.

- You also have to keep in mind that if a burglar ever comes to your home, they are armed with a gun. If someone tries mugging you on the street, they have a gun. I found this massively stressful.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts