Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard time understanding why any sensible person would want to have a pitbull. It must be like having ticking time-bomb. what are the owners trying to prove? anyone care to chime in. and don't give me that crap about "its not the dog, its the owner"
not too many owners suddenly lose it & go tear some innocent person apart all of a sudden.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I have no dog in this race (pun intended) but my understanding is that there is no actual evidence that a pitbull is inherently any more aggressive than any other type of dog. They may do more damage than a chihuahua will but the chihuahua may well be more aggressive. It's like people, some are simply more aggressive than others and some pack a bigger punch than others.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not really my point. I'm talking about dogs, not people.
there may be that evidence as you say...but you don't often hear of someone being mauled/ killed by a chihuahua. 9not saying it can't/ hasn't happened)
just as someone will prob. point out that more people are bitten by shih tzus annually than pitbulls, ignoring the fact that there are probably millions more 'human interactions' with shihtzus. Most people will avoid pitbulls.
why own a pitbull?Every day I'd be like ..'"geez Baron is a great pitbull, I just hope he doesn't lose some day, & kill that little toddler next door". who needs that stress?

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
not really my point.
there may be that evidence as you say, but
you don't often hear of someone being mauled/ killed by a chihuahua.
why own a pitbull?
So what is your point ... is it just pit bulls or any larger breed of dog?
There have been other breeds that have killed/hurt people, what about them?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It's (un)fortunate that the victim is the owner of the dead-dog. If not, the owner of the dog (pitbull or not) should be charged for letting it loose and killing someone. The way I see it is "owners" of anything (vehicles, dogs, guns, knives, kids or even a Chucky doll) should be held responsible for their possessions ... actions and otherwise.

Why do people buy pitbulls instead of other breeds? I think it's a status or power symbol of some sort for these folks. Or in this case- the lady may have inherited that dog from her do-nothing-good- kid or that was the last dog available from the animal shelter ... and she was hoping she can give it a lovely home. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Weiner dogs ... have you heard of this bread attacking=killing humans (and not just the usual hurting bite)? I haven't and would be interested ...

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
Weiner dogs ... have you heard of this bread attacking=killing humans (and not just the usual hurting bite)? I haven't and would be interested ...
Don't know, I stay well clear of weiner dogs ... they flat out scare the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Don't know, I stay well clear of weiner dogs ... they flat out scare the sh*t out of me.
... just weiners or is it just any dog? Weiners are cuter than scarier .... and a whole lot intelligent btw.

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
... just weiners or is it just any dog? Weiners are cuter than scarier .... and a whole lot intelligent btw.
I was joking, they don't scare me. :)
BTW, I have friends with dachshunds ... wouldn't call them (the dogs) intelligent.

As per wiki,
Many dachshunds are stubborn, making them a challenge to train. ... Dachshunds can be aggressive to strangers and other dogs. Despite this, they are rated in the intelligence of dogs as an average working dog with a persistent ability to follow trained commands 50% of the time or more.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Weiner dogs are a huge threat to toddlers and young children. Many choked or died from having the weiner dog get stuck in their throats. Even some adults have died from Weiner dog. Yet, people still buy them all the time.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
[
Weiner dogs are a huge threat to toddlers and young children. Many choked or died from having the weiner dog get stuck in their throats. Even some adults have died from Weiner dog. Yet, people still buy them all the time.
But PA, perhaps we have to analyze more closely wherein the blame lies. Was the damage caused by the wiener or the bun? Beaver's post (excerpt below) mentioned the "bread attacking". So maybe the problem is with aggressive hotdog buns, while the wieners take the blame.

...have you heard of this bread attacking=killing humans (and not just the usual hurting bite)? ...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ya, you are supposed to cut them up lengthwise.
I know. We had a whole memo sent home about how to cut them. Apparently, parents were sending it like a 'coin' and that was against regulations. Don't even get me going about grapes.

If you have a wiener dog, should you call him "Oscar " ? Asking for a friend.

Our acquaintance breeds daushaunds, some of the names the dogs have had include: Oscar, Meyer, Brat and few others along the line.

[

But PA, perhaps we have to analyze more closely wherein the blame lies. Was the damage caused by the wiener or the bun? Beaver's post (excerpt below) mentioned the "bread attacking". So maybe the problem is with aggressive hotdog buns, while the wieners take the blame.
Most definitely the wiener. In fact, they are more chokings with little kids trying to swallow a whole wiener sans bun. Hot dog buns were recommended to reduce the risk, also smokie and other sausages were less of a risk. So Blame the breed not the bread.

Side note: We didn't feed our kids hot dogs when they were young and then we got the memos about hot dogs, so I just didn't buy them. My kids ate them at parties, camps, and when out, but never at house for a meal. For the first due to quarantine, we were craving hotdogs and bought some last week. They surprisingly were not awful and we were not attacked.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Most definitely the wiener. In fact, they are more chokings with little kids trying to swallow a whole wiener sans bun. Hot dog buns were recommended to reduce the risk, also smokie and other sausages were less of a risk. So Blame the breed not the bread.
Sorry PA, failed attempt at humour on my part. Of course I would expect to see some kids choke on wieners. I was simply picking up on Beaver's attacking "bread" typo.

Maybe better not get started on grapes, as you say. I can still see in my mind an autopsy photo of a teenage girl who thought it would be fun to toss grapes in the air and catch them in her mouth. All great sport until one landed in her trachea. As seen from one photo, she just managed to reach it with a finger. On the top of the grape was a clear and deep fingernail impression. But she was not able to clear it before she expired.

I cringe when I see tv commercials where they show people tossing popcorn and other small food items into the air and mouth catching. Scary.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Sorry PA, failed attempt at humour on my part. Of course I would expect to see some kids choke on wieners. I was simply picking up on Beaver's attacking "bread" typo.

Maybe better not get started on grapes, as you say. I can still see in my mind an autopsy photo of a teenage girl who thought it would be fun to toss grapes in the air and catch them in her mouth. All great sport until one landed in her trachea. As seen from one photo, she just managed to reach it with a finger. On the top of the grape was a clear and deep fingernail impression. But she was not able to clear it before she expired.

I cringe when I see tv commercials where they show people tossing popcorn and other small food items into the air and mouth catching. Scary.
Not a failed at all. I was also trying to be humorous with my ' So Blame the breed not the bread' Maybe two fails make a success?

We had a whole thing about all grapes needed to be quartered. We do air and mouth catching, but most things end up on the ground, so I am not terribly worried. Our biggest risk there is getting something in the eye, so I make the kids get their glasses on which often takes away from the mood.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yes, let's call it a success PA.

And as for the grapes of wrath, you are right. They need to be quartered. Best drawn and quartered. Grapes are wanton killers. But once made into wine, their character tends to mellow.

·
Registered
990 Posts
A few years back my wife and I were out for a walk in our neighbourhood and as we passed a house the front door opened and out ran a pitbull towards us. We got very lucky as the owner somehow was able to call him off, it could have been very serious.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
^^^ Not to overlook the seriousness of choking with weiners & small items on kids PA & MP, you 2 are hilarious with the bread/bun on this type of dog. It was my bad with the typo ... I had meant "breed".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts