Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Here that would be breaking the current health regulations .... is it not reckless then?
No. It is not reckless.

If covid was really such a big deal, trips to the LCBO wouldn't be a thing.

I fail to understand how you can go to the store to get alcohol, but being in an apartment lobby with no mask is a big no-no.

You can also be outside and be on a "run" with no mask and you can quite literally pass other runners also huffing and puffing, but it is not illegal or reckless?

Mickey mouse rules in this country. Run by puppets.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
This is exactly why Urban areas become authoritarian, or lawless wastelands.
Either James gets everyone to behave the way he wants, or KaeJS gets his way and everyone can act with reckless abandon.
When your neighbours are literally in your face (like in an elevator) there isn't much room for live and let live.
No, that's your anti-urban bias talking. What I'm talking about are actually laws in British Columbia.

You don't think people should obey the law? Gosh that's a real flip on your usual position.

What often happens is that people in urban areas live harmoniously by learning to be respectful to the communities they live in... such as being polite and quiet, instead of doing loud parties.

In my case the building has certain rules, and these people are breaking the rules (which also happen to be laws in BC). They are creating friction because they are not holding up their OBLIGATION to live by agreed upon, shared rules.

On my part, I do live by the agreed upon shared rules. I'm holding up my side of the deal and expect others to do the same. If they don't like it, they should leave.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I think we need to define reckless.

Standing in an apartment lobby without a mask is not really reckless.
No, it's reckless and it's also against the law. Both against BC law and against the laws they agreed to follow in my building.

All residents who live here agree to live by certain rules. Those rules are meant to provide maximum safety and comfort to all residents.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I guess the law has never been wrong, right?

Nobody has been wrongly convicted?
Marijuana was always legal?

Come on James, you're killing me.

Standing in a lobby not wearing a mask is not reckless. And did they really agree to those rules, or were those rules forced upon them without their opinion or say in the matter?

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
No. It is not reckless.

I fail to understand how you can go to the store to get alcohol, but being in an apartment lobby with no mask is a big no-no.
You are required to wear a mask in the LCBO as well ... not difficult to understand if you want to.

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
And did they really agree to those rules, or were those rules forced upon them without their opinion or say in the matter?
That's an interesting idea ... ya, only make laws and regulations apply to those that agree with them.

Person: "Yes, officer I was doing 120 km/h in a 50 km/h zone but I never agreed to that limit, it was forced on me".
Officer: "Completely understand, you're free to go".

:)

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
No, that's your anti-urban bias talking. What I'm talking about are actually laws in British Columbia.
Yes I'm anti urban. I think urban culture is broken.

You don't think people should obey the law? Gosh that's a real flip on your usual position.
No, I think they should obey just laws.
I think masking is a reasonable law.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I think we need to define reckless.

Standing in an apartment lobby without a mask is not really reckless.

If someone is so worried about passing them... They should be wearing a mask. Hell, if you're THAT worried... Hold your breath for 30 seconds as you walk by.

You can't freak out if someone is just being normal. If someone gets in an elevator with you, maskless, and starts coughing everywhere... Well, that is reckless and unacceptable REGARDLESS of covid. They should be covering their mouths and facing away from you.
reckless[ˈrekləs]
ADJECTIVE (of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

In my province, it is the LAW to wear masks in common areas in the condos is the law. Following the law is NORMAL. It USED to be normal to walk around with out mask, that is no longer the case.

Not considering that one is breaking law, and why the law is there, is reckless. It was mentioned that the people were having illegal parties in their place indoors, that is also reckless. In my province, most spread is happening through indoor gatherings as such.

1. No. It is not reckless.
2..If covid was really such a big deal, trips to the LCBO wouldn't be a thing.
3. I fail to understand how you can go to the store to get alcohol, but being in an apartment lobby with no mask is a big no-no.
4. You can also be outside and be on a "run" with no mask and you can quite literally pass other runners also huffing and puffing, but it is not illegal or reckless?
1. Yes it is reckless, and the law would agree me. Because it is reckless to take the law into your own hands.
2. It is illegal to go to any store without a mask. The issue here is not what one is buying but the risk involved without a wearing a mask. If the person wears a mask to lobby, liquor store, cannebis shop, hospital etc, they are less risk and following the law. Again, the issue is the wearing of mask wear it it a legal requirement, not whether you agree what is a requirement or not. Two diffierent aruguements.

I guess the law has never been wrong, right?
Nobody has been wrongly convicted?
Marijuana was always legal?

Standing in a lobby not wearing a mask is not reckless. And did they really agree to those rules, or were those rules forced upon them without their opinion or say in the matter?
Perhaps a law has been wrong, but it is still the law. Science has shown masks wearing reduces transmission. That is a fact. It is a law to wear a mask in common areas. That is is also a fact. It is a requirement to follow the law, that is also a fact. Whether you believe the law is right or wrong, is your OPINION.

Being wrongly convicted of something is irrelevant to this discussion. There is no doubt they were breaking the law. Laws and health regulations will change, one doesn't get to decide that will follow it when it is convenient. In some countries marijuana is still illegal, just because you don't agree with it and believe the law should change, doesn't mean you can decide not to follow it. When they change the law, then you can legally do it.

I don't agree with all of the taxes that I pay and I how I should have to follow it. It's the law, so I do. Anything else would be reckless.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Yes I'm anti urban. I think urban culture is broken.

No, I think they should obey just laws.
I think masking is a reasonable law.
... the bolded part/statement is funny.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Please keep the thread on topic.

I moved off topic political posts to the Politics thread. I will continue to delete or move off topic political posts.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
No. It is not reckless.

You can also be outside and be on a "run" with no mask and you can quite literally pass other runners also huffing and puffing, but it is not illegal or reckless?

Mickey mouse rules in this country. Run by puppets.
It's pretty simple. Indoors is where almost all infection takes place. So, yes, being indoors calls for more precautions. Masks are advised outdoors if you are within 6 feet of others more than momentarily.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've always viewed wearing masks as being polite and respectful to other people. You are showing that you care about other people. Some people, not only 20 something s, just don't care.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As a single person, i recognize the value of socializing. Pre covid, i would go out to dinner with groups of 4 to 6 friends and i miss that. There hasn't been a lot of focus on the mental health of single people from covid who have been more impacted versus couples from a socialization perspective. We don't have a significant other to go home to.Thats why in a way i sympathize with 20 somethings while not excusing their behaviour.

·
Registered
20,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
As a single person, i recognize the value of socializing. Pre covid, i would go out to dinner with groups of 4 to 6 friends and i miss that. There hasn't been a lot of focus on the mental health of single people from covid who have been more impacted versus couples from a socialization perspective. We don't have a significant other to go home to.Thats why in a way i sympathize with 20 somethings while not excusing their behaviour.
I'm single and not too much older than them, and I don't sympathize.

The reason is that there are easy ways for them to still socialize! In BC, a single person is allowed to even go into another "bubble" person's home, possibly with 1 or 2 other people. So they are allowed to be together in a 3 person total gathering, if they are an exclusive bubble.

That is different than a party with many strangers, obviously non-bubble people, coming in & out. That is not allowed, because it spreads COVID and also makes contact tracing impossible.

Also, a person is allowed to gather with 10 friends outdoors. While I was watching this illegal party, and dangerous indoor socializing (which spreads COVID) ... the same people could have gone outdoors, where it was beautiful, and if they wanted to could have been hanging out ALL NIGHT in the nearby park, which is in fact open 24 hours and is a beautiful place to be.

These kids were just being lazy and selfish. Nobody is saying they can't socialize. Hell, I am socializing all the time myself and these 20 years olds can do it to:

My single neighbour can socialize with her bubble household,
And she can socialize with 10 friends outdoors.

I'm planning to meet my bubble-friends and the three of us will have drinks on a patio soon. How exactly am I lonely and deprived? Make no mistake... these kids are just being stupid.

·
Registered
685 Posts

A clinical study showed wearing medical grade mask made no difference in contracting Covid...maybe the 70 year olds had breathing trouble?

They should order online from HD instead.
Not everyone believes the conspiracy theories that masks & lock downs work.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts