Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
rereading this page - earler discussion - I was using PFC2200 in my cash account so that the distributions were ROC vs Interest Income - basically becomes capital gains vs Interest Income - but when you sell...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a 15+% Gold allocation and I will tell you that YTD I am up....

I don't have the ability from this computer to do a bunch of easy math BUT I am guessing that I am up 2.5% overall..... not bad with 1 month of growth and a 'topsy turvy' stock market....

Last year my growth was 10.3% !!! It was actually higher, but we have a piece of land that just sits, and doesn't show growth - so it just drags down the numbers.

I'm still happy with 10.3% though....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well despite lots of volatility and equities being down and bonds taking a beating, Gold today turned out almost 10% - WOW...... Good thing its 20% of my portfolio !

Looks like when govts decide to start the printing press the currency value drops and the limited supply / scarcity of gold really shines through.

Our economy is in a death spiral and our govts are effectively buying the debt and equity markets with fake cash.... nice.... (yes the nice is sarcasm).

Oh yah with govts about to quarantine everyone and not let them go to work - govts will have to supplement the populace with free cash until they can get back to work.... it will only get better for gold given the current climate !

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well Gold ironically has outperformed the TSX60 and SP500 for the last week, month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year and even 5 years right now. It doesnt beat the sp500 for the 10 year but it does beat the TSX60 on the 10 year. Nothing to complain about.

I am happy that equities did well today, I hope they can hold the momentum !

·
Registered
593 Posts
For Bond ETFs I'm using ZFL and ZPL... I was using VAB and XLB, BUT with their Corp exposure they were in a real BOG when the markets were stressed and thus I was not impressed. I will stick with ZFL for security and ZPL for a bit better yield. I am ~60% ZFL and ~40% ZPL (for my bonds - at this time). I know this is CAD and not US exposure but I don't feel that matters as much. Your MNT will basically work as USD exposure in my mind since the gold market operates on USD.

·
Registered
593 Posts
For my cash portion I am using CLF. It’s a 1-5 ladder govt bonds, maturity/duration is 3+, so not much rate risk, credit rating is AA (govt), so not much for default risk, and 12mo yield is 2.2%

It took a small loss during the implosion, but bounced back right away.

lots of brokers let you buy/sell this fund for free.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, its speculation. I could find someone to say buy bonds / gold or a specific Fx. So its kinda like hot air.

The point of the PP is that with diversity you always have an asset doing well, and one that is presumably not.

Timing the market is difficult to do, if not impossible.

Let the good times roll - covid numbers are exploding....

J4B - I may have missed my swap back to MNT optimal time too.. I'll revisit this on Monday....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts