Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
We recently bought into a newbuild condo and are facing the same issue with the garbage, actually today I found a box full of garbage just outside the garbage room... condo boards and myself are discussing the security camera thing but everybody seems to think it's overly expensive. Does anyone have any examples of models/brands used and around how much was spent? I think cameras are a great way to create accountability, even more when there's so many renters in the building that don't really care about fines or condo fees going up.

If anyone has any experience installing or buying security camera systems and has any idea how much would this cost the info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
The people who say it's too expensive, what do they mean?
Cheap cameras can be as little as $100, nicer 4k systems with multiple cameras like Lorex at Costco are only a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We recently bought into a newbuild condo and are facing the same issue with the garbage, actually today I found a box full of garbage just outside the garbage room... condo boards and myself are discussing the security camera thing but everybody seems to think it's overly expensive. Does anyone have any examples of models/brands used and around how much was spent? I think cameras are a great way to create accountability, even more when there's so many renters in the building that don't really care about fines or condo fees going up.

If anyone has any experience installing or buying security camera systems and has any idea how much would this cost the info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Can't help on camera costs but that's been answered.

Regarding the boxes of garbage, what's in the boxes? Look for any mail etc. that could identify the offender. If you find something that will let you identify them, then you have several choices unrelated to the camera question.

You could slit the bottom of the box open and place it at the door of the offender so that when they pick it up, everything falls out the bottom of the box.

You could send a letter to the owner if it is a rental and tel the owner they are expected to speak to their tenant about the consequences of failing to comply with the condo rules/bylaws etc. You could also warn the owner of the consequences to them if they fail to have their tenant comply.

Renters are a problem no matter what anyone says about them being the same as resident owners. The fact is they are not. We found that when asked if they had been given and READ the condo rules/bylaws, even owners often had not read them and renters were rarely even given them by the owners. You can send a letter to the owners in that case as well to warn them of the consequences to them if they do not provide a written copy of the condo rules/bylaws to their tenants and INSURE they are read. The best way we found to deal with renters quite frankly was to make life difficult for the owners who have bought to rent.

By the way, in most municipalities cardboard boxes are NOT allowed in with garbage at all. They must be separated.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Also re renters, we found that we were not allowed to pass a bylaw as a new build, that did not allow any rentals. However (this is in BC Strata laws), this applied ONLY to first time owners. It was allowed to have a bylaw that said no rentals were allowed for any second or subsequent owners. So we did that which meant any owner who bought to rent when new could rent but when it came to selling it, they could not pass on that right to rent. By attrition, that will remove all rental units over time.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts