Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Arh. I was going to pull the trigger at around $33 but I listened to all the nay sayers. I gotta stop doing that ;o)

Nice little pop.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
this thing is unstoppable, knock on wood don't want to jinx it... now it's time for ipl to raise divi, I need to pay for fuel this summer :>

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think he is just saying that the price of oil has dropped and all oil related stocks dropped.

But if that is true, how come TRP and ENB are close to hitting new highs?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I think he is just saying that the price of oil has dropped and all oil related stocks dropped.

But if that is true, how come TRP and ENB are close to hitting new highs?
TRP and ENB are not in the same 'regional' play issue that the smaller players are in, are into both gas and oil, and have other businesses like utilities, power, etc. PPL is more reliant on the oilsands, and northwest shale oil plays, and midstream/diluent processing margins....all of which are under stress. PPL's P/E multiple was (is) highly dependent on growth/expansion projects... Few of those will happen if the oil companies are no longer willing to sign up. The pain may have just begun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
TRP and ENB are not in the same 'regional' play issue that the smaller players are in, are into both gas and oil, and have other businesses like utilities, power, etc. PPL is more reliant on the oilsands, and northwest shale oil plays, and midstream/diluent processing margins....all of which are under stress. PPL's P/E multiple was (is) highly dependent on growth/expansion projects... Few of those will happen if the oil companies are no longer willing to sign up. The pain may have just begun.
Good analysis AltraRed.
They just announced a pipeline expansion in the Bakken. They seem to be always adding accretive plays, I think this is an excellent long term stock. I don't know enough about the propane/ethane markets but seems to me they are trying to diversify slightly. Look back in 07-08 their divi didn't skip a beat. I don't think your going to see the capital appreciation we witnessed over the last few years, but still a solid long term stock. If you check out their investor presentation, a high % of their contracts are take-or-pay (same with IPL) and I am long both these stocks.
Also, you may want to look for earnings out Feb 26, investor day March 10th...

Pembina Pipeline announces an $85M expansion of its Vantage oil pipeline system connecting the Bakken Shale in North Dakota with the petrochemical market in Alberta, increasing its current capacity by 70% to 68K bbl/day once the project is complete early next year.
The 80-km expansion will include the addition of mainline pump stations as well as the construction of a new eight-inch gathering lateral.
Pembina says the added capacity and volumes from its Saskatchewan ethane extraction plant will boost yearly EBITDA by $75M-$110M/year.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I just think the so called expansions by most of the infratructure companies have not yet considered that $50 oil is anything other than a temporary aberration. IOW, producers will NOT be signing up to any new contracts, take-or-pay or not, if they are not drilling and production starts to shrink. I believe we really have yet to see the shake out and while I would like to be owner of PPL, I am loathe to pull the trigger until I sense infrastructure companies have become realistic about their opportunities (beyond those already under construction).

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Thinking of taking a position.

Ideally I should have bought today, but I was too busy trading National Bank.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
On Friday the 13th, Bought 500 @ $40.70, sold at $41.00

Bought back in on Friday for 500 @ $40.50.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Decent profit for a days work.
Now extend that out for a year and eventually an entire stock market cycle and you should be able to see how well that strategy will treat you.

Since you didn't mention what your strategy is, I will not give you my opinion on it, but suffice to say, I am not holding out much hope for it, if it keeps getting repeated this way.

Just my opinion of course.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts