Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
424 Posts
I am buying some NYSE listed ETFs, but I wonder what to do with my CAD hedged ones like XSU and CLU. I wonder whether and when I should swap them for some Vanguard ETFs.

Keep in mind that there is nothing magical about par or what has gone before. Currency does not revert to the mean the way stock market indices do. CAD is still trending up; Royal Bank says it can go to $1.10. Maybe monitoring the 200 day moving average would help me to time a shift from hedged to unhedged holdings.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am in no rush to make a move on this. I think that the US is comfortable in having their currency drop more in value.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Why is it that when we hit par everyone wants to invest and "make a killing" on the dollar, but last March when everything was cheap there was panic?

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Why is it that when we hit par everyone wants to invest and "make a killing" on the dollar, but last March when everything was cheap there was panic?
Last March, everything was on sale after everyone saw their investments tank from the previous 6 months. People saw thing go down and it had a psychology effect, scaring people.

People want to make more money now, because their is more confidence now, since things have gone back up a little.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
What annoys me is that some smaller location niche retailers I frequent (little to no competition) are still tacking on about 20% to the US MSRP, citing their fees/costs of doing business. Uhm, isn't that supposed to come out of the retail markup? Shining example of why so many CDN's flock to the states to shop for bigger ticket items.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Last March, everything was on sale after everyone saw their investments tank from the previous 6 months. People saw thing go down and it had a psychology effect, scaring people.

People want to make more money now, because their is more confidence now, since things have gone back up a little.
The psychology is the same. Dollar is "on sale" and everyone and their dog wants to buy USD.

Stocks go "on sale" and the world is ending, sell everything.

I dont get it.

Royal I agree 100% with retailers not passing on the savings. Oh sure they have 6 months of inventory, and it will take time to reflect current exchange values, blah, blah blah.

How come it doesnt work that way when our dollar goes down? Assholes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts