Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
^ I highly doubt any other province will generously follow.

Just speaking for Ontario here, Ford don't even have the guts to put his foot down with the vaccine-mandate and he's going to force employers to allow "5" "permanent" "paid" sick days or extend that from the current 3. No way.

And definitely not Quebec, boy is it ever stingy with the current 2 (didn't know that).

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Wait for an election....promises promises. A dip in the polls prior to, or during an election, can make even the most fierce opponents change their collective minds if it gains them a point or two with the luckless taxpayers.

Anything to buy voters with their own money!

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Everyone should get as much time off as they need when they are sick.

What do employers want.......people coming in and making everyone else sick too ?

Have we learned nothing from covid ? If you are sick.......stay home.

Everyone should contribute to an employer fund and benefits only get paid upon receipt of a doctor's note.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
^ Doctors will give a note for just about anything - stress, headache, etc. They have no choice. It's all so subjective, not much a doc can do about it.

How much is enough and how do we prevent abuse. It's already rampant. It turns into 6-10 extra vacation days for some.

Track things closely enough and you will see patterns. Monday and Fridays are very popular sick days. I wish I knew how to solve the problem. A lot of people take advantage of the benefits and ruin it for those that really need the paid time off.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the article the average number of sick days used was 5. My company has 15 days medical leave. Many of the employees burn them at a rate as fast as they earn them then complain that they can't use other paid leave for medical appointments or sick time. A review found that the majority of sick days were Mondays and Fridays and the days following vacation. some staff were even so bold to use sick days for vacation time that was refused. As an employer how do you prove they weren't ill. The provision of a doctors note, unfortunately, puts unnecessary cost and strain on an already overburdened health care system. Like Synergy I wish I knew the solution. Sadly, like many things in life there are those that will take advantage and don't need it, those that need it and don't have it, and those that have it and never use it. In comparison to other parts of the planet this is a minor issue in the big scheme of things.

·
Registered
21,897 Posts
When I worked in the US, there were no sick days whatsoever. Instead the company gave us extra generic days off (a few more vacation days). So if you wanted to rest when sick, you used up a vacation day.

As a result, nobody ever wanted to take a day off when sick. Everyone came to the office, hacking and coughing. Better to drag yourself to the office when sick rather than waste a vacation day.

As a result, sick people always came to work and infected each other.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
When I worked in the US, there were no sick days whatsoever. Instead the company gave us extra generic days off (a few more vacation days). So if you wanted to rest when sick, you used up a vacation day.

As a result, nobody ever wanted to take a day off when sick. Everyone came to the office, hacking and coughing. Better to drag yourself to the office when sick rather than waste a vacation day.

I know companies like this.
It really comes down to two different concepts.

1. Why should a company pay you if you're not working?
It makes no sense to force them to.
If you hire someone to mow your lawn, and they don't, you don't still pay them.
2. Should a company spend money to deliver higher productivity.
I believe that for many cases the company is going to be better off with a small number of sick people staying home for a day or two, than an entire team sick and barely productive "in the office"

I know when I'm really sick I might only be 10-20% effective. Much better for the company to pay me to stay home for 1 day and let me get better than to have me work 2 days at 20% for full pay.

I think paid sick time makes sense, but I think the government directives should stop at protected leave, forcing them to people if they don't show up for work doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
123 Posts

If you got extra generic days, then those were your sick days. But people used them as vacation time instead. Giving them more days off wouldn't solve anything, would it?

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
If you got extra generic days, then those were your sick days. But people used them as vacation time instead. Giving them more days off wouldn't solve anything, would it?
I prefer a few paid "personal days".
If they're sick days and you don't use them, you lose out.

It's even better if they let you cash them out, like the company has already accounted for the expense, and if you cash out, they still gain the benefit of your work!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My former employer, TD, didn’t have a set number of “sick days”. We paid employees anytime they called in sick. No proof of illness was requested unless you were off for 5 consecutive days or if there was a pattern of suspected abuse. I too, found a couple of employees over my years, who had a habit of being sick on Mondays, Fridays, Saturday.

the policy did cause some heartaches……the bank because so lean in my last few years, that If a teller called in sick…it hurt……you might only have 3 or 4 tellers working all day. And the “health pay” was still part of your weekly staffing budget so you couldn’t back fill and call someone in to cover them…or you’d go over budget.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I think sick days should be provided by all employers, to a fairly high number (3 weeks+ I'd say), followed by whatever STD and LTD benefit plan may be provided (also by the company or through group insurance).

Hopefully the coronovirus will push the concept of sick time and staying home from work when ill to become the new normal. It's pretty sad that we're in the 21st century with finely honed economic machines via massive corporations, but poor workers who are sick and contagious need to slog it into their workplaces when they feel like death. That's pretty uncivilized - I think we can "do better" as the narcissistic, entitled left-wingers like to says.

If someone's sick all the time and using lots and lots of sick days, it's no different than if you have a dud employee for some other reason...Some people are more productive than others, it's a fact of life. The corporation needs to figure it out and budget accordingly for normal time away for illnesses for their workers.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I think sick days should be provided by all employers, to a fairly high number (3 weeks+ I'd say), followed by whatever STD and LTD benefit plan may be provided (also by the company or through group insurance).

Hopefully the coronovirus will push the concept of sick time and staying home from work when ill to become the new normal. It's pretty sad that we're in the 21st century with finely honed economic machines via massive corporations, but poor workers who are sick and contagious need to slog it into their workplaces when they feel like death. That's pretty uncivilized - I think we can "do better" as the narcissistic, entitled left-wingers like to says.

If someone's sick all the time and using lots and lots of sick days, it's no different than if you have a dud employee for some other reason...Some people are more productive than others, it's a fact of life. The corporation needs to figure it out and budget accordingly for normal time away for illnesses for their workers.
the thing is, if an employee is "worth" paying $50k/yr, they'll take that, subtract out all the benefits, sick days etc and pay you that. Those "paid sick days" aren't free, they're already part of the cost of employing you.
Just like giving another paid holiday, it increases the cost of keeping your around.

·
Registered
21,897 Posts
Absolutely. Well said!

·
Registered
123 Posts

There are a lot of very large corporations run by entitled left wingers (your words). Why haven't they stepped up to offer generous sick time?

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
7,493 Posts

Has anyone thought about the impact 10 paid sick days will have on small businesses? This is in addition to 2-3 weeks paid vacation and 9 paid stat holidays. That’s almost 7 weeks paid time off.
... yes, small businesses are those least able to afford this. Btw, where do you get 10 paid sick days. In Ontario?

·
Registered
47 Posts
“Now, the federal Liberals are preparing to legislate 10 permanent employer-paid sick days for federally regulated employees, up from the current requirement of three days”

If certain ppl get their way, that’s what they’re going after

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
^ Well, government employees are always special with the Feds being more special than the provincial ones.

As for legislation on on paid sick leaves on employers (non-governmental), I believe it's up to each province. So for Ontario, I don't think Ford has the guts to impose it. So far I haven't even heard of a squeak on this topic from the Ontario government.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts