Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I opened an options account and can't bring myself to buying any yet. I don't feel that I know nearly enough. Does anyone have any good sites or books to suggest for beginner options traders?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
3 resources. The first 2 are free. The 3rd one could cost you or it could make you money.

1) the best short little book about options. A 50-pager & it's free on the montreal exchange website.

http://www.m-x.ca/f_publications_en/en.guide.options.pdf

if you don't wish to click on strangers' links (i don't myself) go to the website m-x.ca, click publications - guides and strategies - equity derivatives - equity options reference manual.

2) also, tradeking.com, a US broker specializing in options, has advanced workshops, webinars, forums, blogs that are open to the public. Click especially Education & Trader Network. Optionsguy & mark wolfinger are paid consultants whose posts, columns, blogs, etc are excellent. Altogether, another free 5-star resource for every level of option trader.

3) experience, the mother of knowledge. Buying or selling even one option will teach a great deal to an observant investor. May i also offer a hint. The parties who make money from options are the sellers, not the buyers. Although sometimes it's necessary to buy an option or 2 as part of a strategy, statistical studies show that it's the hopeful plain vanilla buyers of options who tend to lose money

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was really interested in buying calls for AAPL but because of the price premium, I was afraid of getting my hands dirty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think volatility is too high to buy options right now. If you think AAPL will move up (or, at least, not drop too much), sell a naked put (expiring in Jul or Aug) below current stock price or, if you want protection, sell a bullish credit spread (sell higher strike put and buy lower strike put, both strikes below current stock price).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts