Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on what the premier will Announce tomorrow?

What have other provinces done In stage (or is it pause) one?

right now hardware store are Fully open, street-side retail is allowed curb side pickup. Dentists, barbers still closed. Boat ramps closed. Provincial parks open for day use.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Not sure of the point of this thread other than perhaps a quick update summary for Ontarians. Because whatever the premier announces tomorrow is what it'll be as long as it isn't an invitation for Americans to visit CNE at this point or anywhere else in Ontario the rest of the year for that matter. This is the ideal time (maybe once in a lifetime) for the "Unwelcome" mat for south of the border visitors.

Added: For "today May 13 2020's" announcement, the Premier is gonna to announce something related to "education". Maybe summer school will be needed for the kids. Not sure what 'll be announced "tomorrow' though.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I think we will see a spike from rampant distancing violations on mothers day.
Also I don't think they can really do much over the long weekend.

Secondly the summer gardening etc ramp up is coming, if we don't open the greenhouses and get that outdoor stuff going, there will be a significant economic impact.

Better to loosen some restrictions and have compliance, than try to enforce restrictions people won't follow.

The other point is, I think we're nearing the end of the symptomatic cases in the community anyway the numbers are very low, and we can't catch the asymptomatic cases all that easily.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Golf courses will re-open? With restrictions as have been implemented elsewhere?
Won't add that many jobs or help many companies or the economy as a whole.
Will get some people out enjoying some fresh air.

Besides, some wealthy golfers may have Ford's ear ;)

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
An RN working in a nursing home died from COVID yesterday in our city.

It is a reminder of what is at risk for the employees, residents and other employees by opening up.

My wife's employer held a staff meeting and pleaded with employees to continue their self quarantine regardless of the rules.

My wife says some her fellow employees are already talking about big family dinners etc.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Well, easing restrictions anywhere will have an obvious outcome. Cases will increase. That is not in doubt.

What matters is how well we do in CONTAINING those new cases as they arise. That is all about testing and tracing. I would like to hear some supposed 'journalist' ask some pointed questions about how many people have been hired and trained to provide increased testing and even more important, increased tracing. Without the people being in place to trace, you cannot expect to contain outbreaks.

So far, tracing has been done by each individual Public Health Unit. A 'tracer' can trace on average, one case per day. I have yet to hear a 'journalist' ask, 'how many tracers do we have in Ontario (or anywhere else). In Toronto, they apparently have 400 staff and 35 volunteer medical students doing the tracing as of May 5th. At the peak, late last month, Ontario had 4000 new cases per week. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we are probably far from having enough 'tracers' to meet the supposed target of contacting 90% of new cases within one day, if there is any kind of real surge in a given area.

The federal government and the provinces SUPPOSEDLY agreed on a set of criteria that would have to be met before opening things up. One of those criteria was a 'tracer' being able to contact 90% of all new cases within a day. With our current rolling 5 day average of 322 new cases per day, it would appear that if all 322 were in Toronto, they could cope but what if they were all associated with an outbreak in say Windsor? They have 70 staff doing tracing.

Or what about the recent outbreak at the greenhouses in Chatham-Kent? I don't know how many tracers they have there but it is certainly less than in Windsor. They MISSED a group of 70 workers who were not living on site and who were travelling each day to/from the site from Leamington. Of the 70, 12 tested positive when they were 'found' by the Windsor-Essex Public Health Unit. More workers at greenhouse test positive for COVID-19

Clearly, the Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit dropped the ball on tracing from the greenhouses. How could they miss 70 workers? My guess, with 52 positive cases AT the greenhouses, the tracers were overwhelmed.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Good post because testing and tracking are critical and health units likely lack the resources.

Wuhan has another outbreak. They are administering 11 million tests in 10 days to try to control it. The mayor called it a "severe" situation.

The Chinese track people from their cellphone software. They are followed everywhere. That doesn't exist in Canada.

The virus is most contagious before there are symptoms, so tracking is very time consuming when you have to conduct interviews with each person.

I think they are likely waiting to see how many people show up at the hospital ER units. It will be too late to control by then.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Over time, I'm sure more and more businesses will be given permission to re-open. But this will likely happen gradually, not all at once, and businesses that involve non-essential close personal contact could be last on the list.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I think we will see a spike from rampant distancing violations on mothers day.
Also I don't think they can really do much over the long weekend.

Secondly the summer gardening etc ramp up is coming, if we don't open the greenhouses and get that outdoor stuff going, there will be a significant economic impact.

Better to loosen some restrictions and have compliance, than try to enforce restrictions people won't follow.

The other point is, I think we're nearing the end of the symptomatic cases in the community anyway the numbers are very low, and we can't catch the asymptomatic cases all that easily.
Well your prediction re Mother's Day has proven to be correct MrMatt although it didn't take much to predict it. We did indeed see a ramping up of cases and only in the last couple of days have they started dropping again.

Re long weekends, I think it is ridiculous that the labs shut down and so tests do not get results done for 3 days. You would have thought the would have corrected this by now.

Re loosening restrictions and having compliance, that isn't happening as far as I can see. There is a segment of the population that is simply ignoring everything regardless of easing of restrictions.

Yesterday, we did a grocery pick-up at a PC Superstore. I was amazed to see all the people going in and out. No line-up but also no one controlling how many were going in at a time. You can get a pick-up time slot at this particular PC right now within 2 days. Yet during the 10-15 minutes we were there, we were the only vehicle using a pick-up parking slot.

Even more surprising was how many older people were going in. Older meaning obviously over 65. Also how few were wearing a mask. The Winner's store next to the PC had a line-up of people waiting to go in. How essential is it for someone to have to get into a Winner's store to buy clothes?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Well your prediction re Mother's Day has proven to be correct MrMatt although it didn't take much to predict it. We did indeed see a ramping up of cases and only in the last couple of days have they started dropping again.

Re long weekends, I think it is ridiculous that the labs shut down and so tests do not get results done for 3 days. You would have thought the would have corrected this by now.

Re loosening restrictions and having compliance, that isn't happening as far as I can see. There is a segment of the population that is simply ignoring everything regardless of easing of restrictions.
... tell that to the head health officer or officers .. not sure which one the provincial or municipal one?

Yesterday, we did a grocery pick-up at a PC Superstore. I was amazed to see all the people going in and out. No line-up but also no one controlling how many were going in at a time. You can get a pick-up time slot at this particular PC right now within 2 days. Yet during the 10-15 minutes we were there, we were the only vehicle using a pick-up parking slot.
... tell that to head office/management of PC Superstore ... obviously someone there in their mansion is taking a nap and not monitoring their stores.

At Metro (downtown TO) with curbside entrance, 6' markers are designated for customers who are let in one at a time as exiting, monitored by a security guard. I count there're no more than 30 customers in a 10,000 sq ft. (?) store... very sparse and comfortable shopping. Store was well-stocked too. Mind you this was mid-week, mid afternoon so it's not the mad weekend shopping scenario. Also, carts and baskets are wiped down by staff at the front door as they're returned to the store. Impressive. I hope they can keep up with this good work with (trying to) keep their customers & staff safe "as advertised."

Even more surprising was how many older people were going in. Older meaning obviously over 65. Also how few were wearing a mask. The Winner's store next to the PC had a line-up of people waiting to go in. How essential is it for someone to have to get into a Winner's store to buy clothes?
... not surprised. I guess these are healthy enough to go shopping and figured they can get some fresh air and exercise at the same time. Their choice.

As for Winners, they sell more than just clothes and has an elite clientele with more $$$ and time to spare than anything else.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
As for Winners, they sell more than just clothes and has an elite clientele with more $$$ and time to spare than anything else.
LOL, are you getting your stores mixed up Beaver101. Winners is a discount store that sells of end of season; poor selling items; left over stock, etc. items. They are by no means serving an 'elite clientele'. There's nothing wrong with what they sell, but they are in the 'bargain' business not the 'if you have to ask you can't afford it' business. Hardly 'elite'.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
LOL, are you getting your stores mixed up Beaver101. Winners is a discount store that sells of end of season; poor selling items; left over stock, etc. items. They are by no means serving an 'elite clientele'. There's nothing wrong with what they sell, but they are in the 'bargain' business not the 'if you have to ask you can't afford it' business. Hardly 'elite'.
...no, not here in TO which differs from your perspective. Have you seen their prices for supposedly "one of a kind", "in-season" even they're samples ... I mean they were selling "Ivanka Trump's" label clothing (women blazers) at par price with The Bay.

If stuffs from the Ivanka Trump's label is not for "the elites" then I'm not sure who are they meant to be for ... the bottom-of-the-barrel echelons? My colleagues love that place ... the special feeling of getting a 1-of-a-kind piece at an affordable price. I just went in to buy a bag of candies, accompanying a curious friend.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Winners is definitely a discount store. Maybe not as cheap as Walmart. But it is not geared to the elite (that is indeed laughable).

And yes, Trump's brand is for poor people. Trump is a poor person's idea of a rich person.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
^ I thought so but not as "discount" prices like Dollarama. But then with the IT's label (which was Made in PRC, not funny enough) thrown in the mix at inflated prices, then those pieces must be for the elites or at least nouveau rich with too much time and $$$ to blow.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
...no, not here in TO which differs from your perspective. Have you seen their prices for supposedly "one of a kind", "in-season" even they're samples ... I mean they were selling "Ivanka Trump's" label clothing (women blazers) at par price with The Bay.

If stuffs from the Ivanka Trump's label is not for "the elites" then I'm not sure who are they meant to be for ... the bottom-of-the-barrel echelons? My colleagues love that place ... the special feeling of getting a 1-of-a-kind piece at an affordable price. I just went in to buy a bag of candies, accompanying a curious friend.
I do believe winners is a dumping ground for odd stuff.
The store layout is more like Goodwill/Salvation army than even a mid range store.

It used to be a good place to get deals, but their prices have inflated significantly. I honestly don't understand why anyone shops there. You can go to the name branded store, get current items, better layout, service, size selection, at about the same price.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do believe winners is a dumping ground for odd stuff.
The store layout is more like Goodwill/Salvation army than even a mid range store.

It used to be a good place to get deals, but their prices have inflated significantly. I honestly don't understand why anyone shops there. You can go to the name branded store, get current items, better layout, service, size selection, at about the same price.
Maybe so....but the deals this week (after opening) were very good. My wife spent $80 and came out with bagfuls of stuff that I would guess would of cost $150+ Normally.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
^ I thought so but not as "discount" prices like Dollarama. But then with the IT's label (which was Made in PRC, not funny enough) thrown in the mix at inflated prices, then those pieces must be for the elites or at least nouveau rich with too much time and $$$ to blow.
One of the problems with trying to determine what is cheap vs. expensive is that each individual's definition differs primarily based on their income. For example, in winter I like to wear Viyella shirts with an 80/20% cotton/wool blend. If the non-sale price is $130, then finding one on sale for $100 is a bargain to me.

Dollarama might sell you a cotton t-shirt for $4 while I pay perhaps $40 for a wicking and sun factor 30 t-shirt like this one. Skog Men’s T-Shirt If I find it for sale at $24 in Winners (and I might) that's a bargain.

It's all relative to the individual. But what Winners definitely is not is a store for the 'elite.' The 'elite' wouldn't be caught dead shopping in Winners for anything. They shop in 'boutique' stores, rarely in any chain store unless it is a very high end chain like say Harry Rosen. Check their current 'sale' prices here Beaver101.

'If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.'

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
I spent $5 at Goodwill to pick up brand name shirts. I will keep my eye out for Skog and Viyella labels. I like to buy quality products.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Maybe so....but the deals this week (after opening) were very good. My wife spent $80 and came out with bagfuls of stuff that I would guess would of cost $150+ Normally.
LOL, my wife can't buy a blouse for $80 Money172375. The $150 is more likely for one blouse. For a 'special' one, even more than that. Check the ones at $498 here:
I can remember her getting all excited at a Ralph Lauren store in La Jolla, California some years ago, when she found a blouse on sale for $300 down from $600 and just had to have it. I will also say though that it LOOKED like a $600 blouse on her if you know what I mean. Sometimes quality and superior design is just obvious to the eye. You'll find blouses on that Lauren site for $2000.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I spent $5 at Goodwill to pick up brand name shirts. I will keep my eye out for Skog and Viyella labels. I like to buy quality products.
Yeah, you might find one sags you never know. I do recycle my shirts through the Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Quality really does out over time. I have a Ralph Lauren short sleeve cotton shirt that I bought about 30 years ago (I kid you not). I wear it maybe 6 times in a summer every year and it still looks like brand new. The colours are still bright, no wear at the collar, it could have come offthe store shelf last week and as it is a 'classic' style, it never goes out of fashion.

That's something not everyone pays attention to. There are classic styles that never go out of fashion. There are also a lot of 'fad' fashions that come and go. Fashion: Classic Vs. Fad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts